[Request] Smed Thread on Infantry Combat

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Conq, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medbot544

Have u even tried a ground vehicle recently? Anything over 45 degrees is impossible to get up now and will always result in a hilarious ice skating episode. And this is with Rival Chassis 3, I bet no certed vehicle is even worse.

I do agree needs more infantry only fights but on other hand a single HA with any sort of clue can kill 2 tanks without resupplying...now imagine a whole platoon or two doin that. Also people tend to forget that once that tank is gone, at least when attacking: you will have to go to a hex that allows you to get another MBT. That is potentially 10+ minutes before that tank comes back. Planes are different though since it literally only takes a minute to get back to rocket spamming.

edit. meh, you nerf tanks to uselessness like everyone here in this thread wants...then people will just use MAXs instead and then people will QQ about that too.
  2. Conq

It's not the quality of tanks that's the problem, it's the quantity.

And you're wrong, vehicles can pretty much get anywhere in this game and where they can't reach themselves, their HE/HEAT splash can.

Also, fighting a MAX army would be EPIC.
  3. Daimaru

Infantry CQC makes for some fun and intense battles. ;)

IMHO, vehicles are fine just as they are. What I think is needed is for SOME outposts / locations to be designed / redesigned in such a way that it can't be capped or camped by being in certain vehicles (this has already been mentioned by some and I support them). Redesign them in such a way that is inaccessible to vehicles (indoor areas) or in such a way that would put being in a vehicle at disadvantage (areas with good infantry cover and obstacles against aircraft and tanks). This would reduce the vehicle's effectivity and should force the drivers and pilots to go on foot to counter the threat.
  4. Mojinx

Sorry if this has been mentioned b4, but surely the solution is to have an entire continent dedicated to infantry? Maybe sundys, flash and gals can spawn, nothing else.

Or how about a map that is one gigantic bio-lab with jump pads and spawn points (then you wouldn't need any vehicles).

The other continents remain the same that way everybody's happy.

Or is this just wish full thinking?
  5. multifactionserver

FYI skilled player, you cant cap in a vehicle..OOPS
  6. multifactionserver

dont bother trying to speak sense to these people

they are total histrionic whiners, insufferable
  7. JKooL

I think they eventually wanted to add combat in orbital space stations, I imagine those would be infantry only and could add a whole new layer of depth to the metagame by capping and holding orbital stations.

On another note, I'm sad to see the average age of posters in here is probably around 11.
    lol, go get back in your ESF and leave the game discussion to the big boys.
    • Up x 1
  8. Imnuktam

Ill save smed the trouble and answer for him.

The infantry in planetside 1 are there to provide ample targets for our more preferred playstyles. For example myself and higby love to fly liberator and need plenty of targets to drop our bombs on. Some of the other devs really love flying Esf's so we try to make sure the only real threats to them in game are other esf's, and make sure everything else is just a deterrent. Tanks are great for running a line of 50 of them and we all really enjoy that and need soft easy targets with those as well.

Why are you playing infantry anyways? This game is obviously made for vehicles, that is why we gave every single one of them to everyone.
    Sincerlely , smedly.
  9. multifactionserver

actually, minus the sarcasm, thats true

if you want to play an infantry focused game, there are many better alternatives

for the final ******* time, go play CoD..planetside is not an infantry only game, and the game is not designed, nor will it be, around infantry having an equal chance to kill all vehicles with all loadouts
  10. multifactionserver

you mean the constant, pointless whining about everything and anything?

or more specifically the idiotic attempt to have planetside turned into an infantry focused game?

yeah, i can leave the whining to the babies; id actually support an infantry only continent just so you morons shut the **** up already
  11. Canaris

The POINT you've missed it completely
    • Up x 1
  12. Conq

Putting this back on the first page, apart from a few trolls we all seem to be on the same page about this. We don't want infantry to dominate everything, we just want it to have a greater role in the game outside of Bio Labs.

Judging by the carefully crafted, infantry heavy gameplay trailers, the devs seem to agree. Sadly players won't build those kinda of battles without more incentive to go on foot or less incentive to spam vehicles. Again, let's hear what Smed has to say on the matter.

One of you twitter people mind linking the thread over to him?
  13. korpisoturi

they should put force fields to ALL windows what stop only vehicle spamming , but allow infantry shoot thru it in and outside, vehicles should have VERY limited ability to spam inside ANY building where players is spawn or have forced to go thru.
  14. multifactionserver

If you mean like a dozen people harping on and on about someting the majority does not want, you would be right.

We're not on the same page. The playerbase does not agree with you. A few CoD rejects do, thats it.
  15. Daimaru

right...my bad :p
  16. SGTalon

Wouldn't it be awesome if we had a CITY ONLY continent? Literally, skyscrapers in various states of destruction some boulevards that are large enough for tanks to roll down but with so many side alleys that they are pretty much dead unless the area is already cleared.

I am thinking something along the lines of the Berlin Map of BF1942. Some of the larger buildings have rooftop access for landing galaxies and other aircraft. Galaxies can't fit down the anything except the widest roads, Liberators and ESF are a tight squeeze on anything else so only the very good or very dumb actually drop below building height.

Add in the occasional square where large battles can rage across a 300-500m open space with little cover.

It could be glorious.

Definitely need stop with the whole "Limit Vehicles" crap though.

Limiting is for Liberals Whiners.
  17. Canaris

I played cod for about 3 days before I tossed it.... I've played Planetside since 2003 to present, well that's blown your arguement out of the water, what now?
  18. CitizenSoldier

The infantry game is dying. Infantry should be the backbone of the three factions, but as it stands (by Smeds design) infantry are only good for sitting on capture points and repairing vehicles. Bases are wide-open and indefensible. There is no incentive for people to defend, aside from a bonus xp, which has no effect on the zerg-herd.

All three factions actively avoid direct combat, they base flip, back capture and skirt the edge. And when there is combat it's air and armor parked at the infantry spawn door.

We need a fix.

The issue needs to be addressed.

Horns won't work and neither will new helmets or 3x station cash days.

You can't bribe your way out of a flawed game mechanic, Smed. Lets hear some legit talk that makes sense!
  19. Conq

20. Rivenshield

If we could lay minefields again, with spitfires and motion detectors, that would change in a hurry.

/points at sig
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.