[Request] Smed Thread on Infantry Combat

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Conq, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xasapis

So you're assuming that the people that use vehicles don't spend certs on infantry upgrades? That was not what I was talking about anyway.

With 1k certs my dual buster max can shot down any ESF that comes after the sunderer I protect. You need at least as much for the ESF main A2G weapon (more actually since the ammo capacity of the default rocket pod is pitiful and the flight characteristics of the uncerted planes abysmal, not to mention some basic protection.
    Skill to spawn my dual buster max and kill the ESF? Zero, some bullet leading perhaps but that's it.
    Skill to fly the ESF and be at all effective with it. Huge skill cap, for me at least. I pretty much never live until the cooldown is off and I'm lucky if I live more than 5 minutes).

Don't you people have decent opposition on yours servers, or your side just plain dominates the skys?
    • Up x 1
  2. Canaris

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick there my friend, we aren't asking for vehicles to take a back seat in the game we are asking for areas to be designated for infantry, right now vehicles have pretty much have the run of the entire place. They can camp spawn rooms & points with ease, they need to be moved back a notch to the outer area of bases and if you want to capture the place then you should have to send in the infantry. You'll still have the the run of almost the entire continent
    • Up x 2
  3. medbot544

Couple planes will clean tanks out super fast if flown by dudes with rocket pods. Also a buncha HAs can do the same.

They already nerfed vehicles btw anyways: they made them not able to go over small inclines + make them slide around like they are on ice + they made it so you get locked out of vehicle so you can't even get back in + they are starting to really block out routes to bases makin is so they cannot get in...I expect that to be adjust even more.

I guess if you want a vehicleless shooter, there is always CoD.
  4. Zenox

That's just not true, taking an empty small base gives you:

250-500XP and takes 5 minutes +, killing 1 guy gives you between 100-150XP, taking an empty base rather than fighting is clearly a less efficient means of cert gain and this is half the reason why no one can be arsed to get out of the vehicles.
  5. HadesR

Vehicle timer should start when it's destroyed not when it's spawned
  6. Uben Qui

Your mistake is that you think I drive vehicles for any good amount of my playtime. I am HA infantry 80-90% of the time. I am speaking from the viewpoint as an infantryman that enjoys vehicles around him. :(
  7. medbot544

On my server it's just continent tagging. There rarely if ever is actual large battles no more; you wait until enemy caps one continent and goes to another, recap, then move to another when they leave. Rapid flipping gives the best exp per hour for low pop servers.

Everyone talks about how hard taking say the crown is but the best strat to take it is quite simple....do not attack it for hours on end, wait until defenders get bored and move on, and then rush it with 10 guys and cap it with next to no one defending it. This works quite well. No one is gonna stick around a base that is not gettin attacked thus not getting exp for very long.

PS2 needs real MMO elements. It needs faction pride. It needs a real reason to attack and defend stuff. Sadly, they made tech plants near undefendble in update 1. I guess this is cus they want you to buy SC instead of grinding good amounts of certs in a meat grinder epic battle. /shrug
  8. Canaris

I like tank support same as the next HA *high5* but I get a little aggitated when I die 8 times in a row from being squished or blown up by our own sides tanks who are trying to push each other out of the way so they can camp some tiny outposts spawn room I even looked both ways before I crossed the street just like my Drill Sgt mother told me. :eek:
  9. Uben Qui

You should try Waterson. As far as I know, it is one of the only servers that does not have 3 factions camping certain continents. Things change hands daily. So it kind of has me skewed on that angle.
  10. medbot544

Sorry man, would you change servers if you already spent over 100 bucks and then have to spend another 100? Plus lose 1.6 mill exp that u grinded just to start over? I'd just quit, personally.

p.s. I play west coast btw to get good ping, so Helios is my home. If they allow me to move my char, then maybe I would consider it.
  11. Gambles

What do we want!? INFANTRY COMBAT!! When do we want it!? BOOM!!

no seriously, infantry combat is on the decline because anyone above BR10 has realized why be infantry when you can vehicle spam all day and die less along with getting more kills? Seriously? whose ******* idea was this? who had the bright idea that vehicles should outnumber infantry constantly everywhere outside indoor caps?! seriously!? REALLY!?
    • Up x 1
  12. hostilechild

Planes are no where near the problem as the Tanks. Planes do take a good bit of skill or don't last long. Rarely see lots of planes unless its a large outfit zerging and still there are enough MAX/HA in the defending zerg to do a lot of damage and keep fight balanced.

The TANKS are the issue. They can bombard the base, pinning down infantry killing them in swaths. If the HA can't get out the doors they can't take out the TANKS (12 tanks is brutal to even a platoon in some silly base designs). Planes have to circle, if they hover they go boom fast. TANKS can sit in 1 place, move back and forth and some silly ones can move to the side. back up behind an obstacle and repair. EVERYONE can learn to use a tank in a few minutes, easier than playing infantry. The tank guns are easier, more powerful and more accurate than trying to learn to use a dumbfire rocket launcher, G2G lock-on just takes too long to lock before you would die if not behind a shield.
    You alway see huge armor columns, you rarely see huge air zergs. It is typically the TANK zerg that allows the AIR to dominate/camp you. A squad can hold off a large number of aircraft, they can't do that once the TANKs arrive or just TANKS vs infantry. It takes way more infantry to fend off tanks than aircraft. Techplant to spawn tanks was nice, but needs to be something else to lower the number.

Love the 3 sided fights, just rarely its not. In most strategy games the defender gets a bonus, they are entrenched, have walls, shields yet in this game it doesn't help. It should take 100 people at least to take over a 50man defended base if not more with a bit of air and tank support. Some bases are amazing, 2 squads can hold off double there number or more for a while until the others finally grab a foothold with air/tanks.

Better base design with better base defense for non MAX/HA infantry. Shield generators should be in hard to reach places, spawns units in hard to reach places. But once those targets are taken the base should fall easy, right now most are in the dumbest places.
    Multip points of attack is nice, make each one meaningful and have to be held. Will reduce your dam render distance issue without just reducing client updates to try to fix.
  13. SGTalon

Why does it seem that everyone's solution to everything is punish the behavior you find unfavorable?

Don't like vehicle combat - make it cost more. Don't like MAX nerf them and make them cost more. Don't like air - Take away rockets.

Or even better the spamming of the "Remove this or that from the game"

I honestly don't see why you guys get so worked up about some of these things. I log on and enjoy myself every night. When i get bored with big base battles, I start capping outposts. When i get bored with capping, i jump in a plane, when i know that we need to cap something i jump in my sundy.

There is so much to this game that is awesome, i just don't see why all the raging.

As to this issue, I definitely don't see any lack of Infantry combat on Waterson. It might just be a server specific thing. Overall i think Waterson is a very balanced server. Every night that i log in i see that the continents have changed hands. Last night NC had 2 conts. Night before it was VS, over the weekend it was TR.

We have occasions where there are huge air battles, Huge Tank battles, and Huge Infantry battles. Bases like Ceres, TI, and the Crown pretty much guarantee Infantry fights. Bases on Esamir pretty much guarantee tank fights.

Maybe all it takes is for you to step back a second and look at things from a different perspective.
    • Up x 1
  14. revetr

If a tank hits a medic in the face with a tank shell, I expect that medic to die.
  15. Flarestar

Sure. But if the tank hits a hill 10m away I expect that medic to brush the dust off his shoulder.
  16. Conq

People aren't raging, they just aren't having much fun and that is a problem for everyone as server populations decline. SOE should encourage and reward all play styles but infantry combat is just frustrating. Tanks and aircraft out number infantry in nearly every situation and are given tools (HE, HEAT, Infrared, Thermal) to easily farm what little is there.

In the gameplay trailers we see dozens of infantry running along side a few vehicles in exciting battles. That doesn't happen often in PS2, what we get is just tanks and just aircraft. Infantry contribute nothing and are weeded out instantly for easy xp. There simply needs to be more areas for infantry... JUST infantry to fight otherwise the extensive class system is just pointless and everyone should go Engineer.
  17. Jimmy DeSouza

Tank HEAT/HEDP/HESH/HE-FRAG all have kill radii on infy well beyond 10m. Indeed primarily frag weaponry are capable of putting out lethal fragments past 200m, though the chances of being hit at that distance are minimal.
  18. vampwood

I've been noticing this more and more, lately. People just don't want to get out and fight, its usually huge armour columns with air support, very few infantry and the infantry they do use, its to help camp the spawn room whilst they bombard it. I want areas that aren't completely exposed to vehicles ALL the time (Bio lab is one of the few places this sometimes happen). The number of great infantry fights I've had RUINED because either a friendly or enemy column has came through is very high. Its not fun being the giver of this nor is it fun being the receiver of this and map design is the cause of it and they can't fix the current continents to do this, they have to release a new one, DESIGNED to limit vehicles to certain areas.
  19. ERICH

Im +1 on this. Please give us a proper infantry vs infantry combat. Its pretty pretty pretty boring beeing infantry with the only purpose beeing something for tanks to shot at. Not sure if this is intended but that what it feels like.

Id really like to hear if there is any plans on changes towards this. Does not seem very unlikley that people will get tired of playing infantry and either join the tankzzz or quit the game all togheter. Either of these options sounds any good.

Its understandable that dedicated tank drivers is against promoting infantry play since they'll miss out on a bunch of farming. However i think this games needs to have places for infantry play only. I cant seem why tankz have to cry about that. Most of the places tanks will be able to shot infantry. Just not indoors. Need more indoors. Please.
  20. Cembrye

I agree completely there needs to be an adjustment of vehicle availability. Right now anyone who enjoys infantry combat is getting frustrated as the game gets choked with vehicle spam.

Vehicles should be important and powerful. But they need to be scarcer in number.

Infantry are basically rabbits being farmed by Rank 50+ rocketpod and tank spammers who travel in hordes. Due to the map design, the vehicles can go just about anywhere.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.