[Suggestion] Remove K/D

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpartanPsycho, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Person7man

You seem like by simply removing the KD stat people will magically start pouring out of spawn rooms to be gloriously farmed by the ******** SOE implements like Banshees and force multipliers. Dead wrong. By simply pressing tab you can see kills and deaths, and the profile page has career kills/deaths. So unless you want to completely remove all kills/deaths from the API there is NO WAY you can stop people from doing simple math. I'll still not sit in a spawn room in a 96+vs 1-12 fight because doing anything else besides redeploying is just stupid. I'm still going to go for kills over capturing a point 300 zerglings are already drooling over. I can guarantee this game will not turn into some sort of ultra-team based hippie hug fest overnight because KD is gone. If anything people are just going to farm harder and play the objective less because there is no penalty for the odd time you die now and again.
    • Up x 2
  2. Shanther

I am repeating myself because you are doing no different. You are providing no real reasons other then the extremely general statement of "bad gameplay." KD doesn't have negative affects on games as you seem to believe. At the end of the day even if you don't want to believe it, you need to be able to kill people in this game. The game is a glorified deathmatch with minor objectives.

I'm not trying to rule out anything. You made the extremely bold statement of "there are plenty of games where it isn't tracked that are very successful" and I have yet to see you back up this statement...in anyway. Just because you don't know your KD in something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You do realize that PS2 does actually track Session KD. It just so happens it also tracks overall KD. There is no "permanent stain" that people need to "worry about." No one is putting a gun to your head saying "YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THIS OR YOU DIE." The stat is there for people who want to care about it. If you don't want to care about it, fine don't.
  3. Boldosawr

KD obviously affects how a lot people play dudes. Which affects the overall quality of the "metagame".

A lot of things people do in this game aren't even fun but people do them just to pad stats. The PPA for example was an extremely popular weapon, and people would do nothing but sit and spam it at spawn exits and collect easy kills. You can camp spawns with vehicles and casually sip tequila and eat chips in this game.

I will grant however that at this point I almost feel like they might as well just let it be a free for all TDM, 'cause fewer and fewer people give a damn about territory, alerts, organized play.
    • Up x 2
  4. SpartanPsycho

Note that "outfits the require K/D are full of ****"
  5. SpartanPsycho

I said remove K/D COMPLETELY
  6. Shanther

Note that, that idea is stupid. Sorry but I want people around me who I know can pull their weight.
  7. MarkAntony

No people used the PPA because it made it rain certs, was very good at stopping any infantry push and easy to use. Sorry. KD had nothing to do with it. KD is merely a byproduct.
    But at least you tried to back up the statement that KD somehow affects how people play. it just didn't make sense.
    People can still tell if they die disproportionaly often. People aren't goldfish. They have a memory that exceeds 3 seconds. ( I know that goldfish don't either but I'm trying to make a point here.)
    • Up x 1
  8. EIMR

This is stupid. The thread didn't exactly start as a calm and rational debate, but now it's ridiculous. You aren't going to convince anyone, leave this thread before it becomes a flame war.
  9. Boldosawr

It's not actually good certs relative to infantry. I can go out and pull only a 2-3 KD just rushing out and getting into the fray as infantry and out-score myself when I tank.

Granted, in some situations(finding a sunderer to farm) you can get high SPM with a tank, but in the long run camping as an AI tank and getting sporadic kills is not a high SPM play style.
  10. Taemien

Its a valuable tool for those who know how to use it properly. Just like a hammer, or a gun, or whatever.

But you know what? I'm not going to get into that. Its been explained to death. What I will do is tell you how removing it will not do a damn thing. SOE can remove it, SOE can disable the API that draws information for it so it cannot be tracked.

It won't do a damn thing. Players will either find a way to track it themselves with third party programs, or mentally track it. The latter would actually be worse simply because players would be self conscious about it. Now you just created an even worse problem then you are experiencing now. "Hmm they need us on point, am I going to die trying to do that?"

Now to explain the problem so you can see the source.

Teamwork from your average player is an alien concept. The only players who will at a the basic level understand how to work as a team and do it naturally are those players who in RL have served in the military, worked in development teams (software and other avenues like construction and manufacturing), medical (such as surgeons), police, firefighters, ect. In other words, most people are used to having a task they need to do on their own, and they execute it. And that's assuming they have a profession or job to speak of.

Most jobs don't have the concept of teams. Look at fast food (using this as an example because many of us have worked in that at least once). You have front line, grill, dining room, and register(drive through). At a glance, it appears to be a team. You might even have a position called team leader. But lets say the person on the grill is slow or messing up. Who gets punished? The person on grill or the entire team? If they are doing well, who gets the reward or praise? I think you see what is going on here.

On the flipside, lets say you have a section in the military, can be called a section, fire team, whatever. When one person screws up, the entire team gets punished. Its their responsibility to make sure the under performing are retrained and made better. They won't just let one person go just because he or she isn't performing they'll work on them for the betterment of the team as a whole.

This is of course just one specific example of how teams operate. And only a simply and single example of how team oriented jobs and non-team oriented ones compare to each other.

The point is, teamwork is an alien concept to most people because they aren't exposed to it. Think back to your schooling. like most you probably were brought up in the public school system. The concept of mass punishment (one kid goofs up and the whole class pays for it) isn't prevalent there like it used to be prior to the 90s. But of course punishment isn't the only way to motivate people into teamwork, its only a method. The positive reinforcement of teamwork isn't there, and there is rarely any projects or assignments that kids have to do in teams.

So there you have it. Most players will play with a solo mindset, they will use the tools they have to see how well they are personally doing. And if the tools aren't there, they've been brought up that they should get the tools themselves or even devise them on their own.

So how to fix this? Join like minded outfits. That's the simple fix.

The complex fix, is to change the culture and mindsets of the NA, EU, and AU cultures to return to a more team oriented one. But good luck with that.
  11. Targanwolf

&(#% KD.

With so much inst- kill.It doesn't matter if you have great skills or armor
    I mainly ignore it. Frankly I go beyond killing a player....I hunt vehicles.
  12. \m/SLAYER\m/

well, i agree, we dont need KDR stat, total kills, total death.. and do some math:D
  13. Tuco

[IMG]

[IMG]

beat that
  14. Iridar51

PS2 tries to please both deathmatch players and objective players, but because of current PS2's inherent controversy, it ends up pleasing neither. Playerbase is bleeding at alarming rate as it is - objective players see the no real objectives to go for, and deathmatch players seen an unnecessarily complicated unbalanced deathmatch.

This game needs to be purified by fire.

In order to survive, game needs serious changes, which - at this point - I'm not sure are feasible. So in all likelihood, nothing will change, just like you want it to. Myself I wouldn't enjoy watching this game choking to death on overwhelming amount of pointless cosmetics, bleeding players until there's no more servers to merge.
  15. Posse

Just the normal one

Like you for example?
    • Up x 1
  16. Kentucky Windage

OUCH!!! My certs smell badly. Leave them alone.
  17. Unsp0kn

If anything below 2.0 is terribad, guess what....I don't give a ****! I have fun playing nonetheless.