[Suggestion] Remove K/D

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpartanPsycho, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Tuco

Turns you guys into KDR ******, that's how.
    • Up x 4
  2. Shanther

Then let us be KDR ******. If you don't care about KDR and personal metrics that is your choice. We care about those things, that is our choice. KDR and personal metrics are fun for us but not for you. However since they are not fun for you, you want to ruin the fun for people who enjoy them. Sorry but it doesn't work that way. Life isn't fair.

Your argument of KDR being no fun has no validity to it.
  3. Cyanstorm

I ******* love playing hammered.... Some old parr + ice cubes and a drop or two of lime juice, some good music ( insert your choice here) and off I go, word of caution for those here who get their orgasms from their k/d: you play drunk and your **** will drop faster than current oil prices.
    I also heartedly agree with the defend call, it's a heck of a lot easier (for you and your k/d as well) to defend and redeploy than to keep bashing at someone's heavily defended doors (something I damn love to do)
    • Up x 1
  4. Paragon Exile

So everyone who tries to improve their stats turns into a K/D ratio [insert expletive]?

Interesting. And also wrong; you can use it to gauge your performance and never even look at someone else's statistics.

Seriously though, you can't troll me.
  5. Posse

I know, I looked at your killboard to know what you were using lately too :p
    • Up x 1
  6. Kentucky Windage

Who is you guys?
  7. Yuukikun

You're right, seeking self improvement has always been a bad thing. Silly schools and teaching stuff to children, they should know that making someone learn is a bad thing!
    • Up x 2
  8. Yuukikun

him
  9. Kentucky Windage

You must know me pretty well to call me a ******. Maybe I am a ******. Then again maybe you're a ******. Maybe this whole stinking community is a bunch of ******. It isn't very ****** nice to call other ***** players names you ******. Do you understand what the ****** I'm saying you ******. Is that the proper meaning of ******? What would really be cool is if you put some ****** spaces in between these ****** asterisks so we can guess what you're ****** saying in Morse Code.
  10. Posse

Whatever word he put there was probably censored automatically.
  11. TheShrapnelKing

I honestly hate what trying to get a good KD does to me so I force myself to never press the tab key.

It generally causes me to fail, but at least I don't know I'm failing (until I see my stats go down in my sig here).
    • Up x 1
  12. Kunavi

...We also need a "Highest achieved KD" along with how long we were able to maintain that, and improvement estimations based on these things... Just continuing from my previous, largely ignored albeit tiny contribution to this deep, philosophical discussion. I'm saying we do, because it would ease our pain when our KD drops... By doing things that are just as fun as improving- Like capturing Bases or not farming Bios or playing drunk or leading Platoons, I don't know really. I think PS2 still supports these options, not sure after all those Bio Farms.

Ideally though, we should be able to combine all that... If only SOE could tone down random InstaGibs left and right, imagine that, we could have open field battles! And actually expect to survive more than 1". That'd be glorious. But I shudder to think what can of worms I just opened so I'll just calmly seal it again as best as I may.
  13. Iridar51

Just to answer this part.

Think about it as cauterizing the wounds. Or cutting out a cancerous growth. As Tuco eloquently called them, "K/D ******", or in more polite terms, deathmatch players, should not be in this game in the first place. This is a wrong game for them. While I would enjoy playing a PlanetSide-themed deathmatch, it's simply wrong to treat this game as one. It plays like a bad deathmatch, and it always will play as bad deathmatch.

Open world, persistent base captures, free access to all vehicles at any time, lack of artificial balance of the number/skill of participants in combat, lack of meaningful closure (no "matches"), classes that are unbalanced in direct combat (see "nerf HA" threads) - all of this only hurts the deathmatch.

Currently, PlanetSide 2 tries to go in two directions at once, and it's failing at both. It can be adjusted to be a deathmatch, or it can be adjusted to be an objective based teamwork oriented online shooter. Deathmatch part of the market is already filled by CoD, Battlefield, Team Fortress and many other games, and while, again, I would enjoy playing a PS2 deathmatch, I don't see any point in creating "just another" FPS, when you can create something much more original - something PS1 was, as I understand it.

Stats are part of the deathmatch direction, they're pulling the game to the wrong side, holding it back from becoming an objective based .... shooter it should have been all this time.

PS1 was also an FPS, but it wasn't the deathmatch the Quake was. If you would try to play Quake in PS1, I'm sure you'd be disappointed. So why do you think you should be able to play CoD / Battlefield in PS2?
    • Up x 3
  14. Fellgnome

I want it removed. You can have any KD you want in this game if you learn how to play like a coward and pick your fights. Hell you could play this game entirely from spawn rooms and get 1000+ KD if you were prepared for a seriously boring play style.

OP is completely right that it discourages risk/teamwork and encourages camping/farming/padding behaviors.

Not everyone worries about it, but enough do that it makes a significant negative impact on the gameplay.

Better gameplay > ego boosting stat. If you're good people will notice without this stat when they fight you, it doesn't mean anything on its own.

Also FCRW has plenty of fairly low KD players, dunno about the others you mentioned.
    • Up x 1
  15. MarkAntony

The normal one from the official PS2 site? or is there one on DA site that goes further back. I'd like to have that.
  16. MarkAntony

It is amazing that they get good stats this...

Yes, so you keep saying. But just because you repeat it again and again doesn't make it true.
    Seeing as you don't make any argument I am forced to guess here: Are you actually trying to say that in your WW2Online example that there were players in that game who had fun and enjoyed themselves and based solely on their (presumably bad) KD said: "the fun was a lie. I couldn't possibly have had fun if my KD was that bad," and then quit a game they have fun playing. That is just hard to believe...

Here is a novel idea: Player plays game. Player dies a lot. Player doesn't have fun because of this. Player leaves the game.

Seems a lot more likely than: Player plays game. Player has a lot of fun. Player also happens to die as lot. Player doesn't care because there are no stats. Evil stats come along. Player looks at stats and is so terrified of a number that he quits the game.

A bad gameplay experience (that is: doing badly) causes a bad KD. Not the other way around.
  17. Cyanstorm

Jesus Chrsit so much ******* rage at k/d ****; bro just play the ******* game, some people here gonna get a real life hard on by looking at their game stats (oh ye know who ye are!) , others wont even look at it cause they ******* suck, and others like me who dont give a **** cause its a ******* game
  18. MarkAntony

I don't get it at all. This plays nothing like deathmatch.
    And what are those magical objectives that could possibly be more enjoying than fighting other people?
    I honestly don't see what is so bad about this game. Yeah there is quite a few things i would change about the balance in this game but that'S it. The gameplay is fine.
    No need to intentionally drive players from a game that NEEDS a big playerbase. Might as well turn off the servers and call it quits.
  19. Shanther

Okay first of all, the character you have in your sig which I can only assume is because you want to flash your 100 KD. Is only BR 30 and has only MAX play. So bringing up the idea of playing like a coward and picking your fights is rather amusing. I digress. I wouldn't say I have a HIGH KD by a lot of standards, I know people with much higher. That said I am far from a coward when I fight nor are the people I know. I am way more aggressive then I should be and my Average Time Alive shows that (2:30). The difference is I am able to kill 2 - 3 people during that time period. Ths isn't being a coward. I don't sit in spawn rooms 24 / 7 which my KPM shows (0.89). Nothing about how I play is boring.

Secondly you clearly have never see outfits like DA (since I play with them) actually play. The lot of us are very aggressive players and borderline down right crazy at times. Top outfits have very good teamwork be it attacking points or defending them. When I am running in a squad I know that I am going to get a rez if it is possible. The time (rare) that I play medic not only do I kill a lot of people I make sure I get rez's off on my teammates. Playing the objective of sorts and killing are very easy to do at the same time if you don't suck. The only thing that top outfits tend to not do unless they absoutely have to it kill sundies.

Third, there is no "better gameplay" to be had. People who like to kill and defend will still keep on doing it and low KD players will keep doing whatever it is they do. The only thing that changes is I can't tell if you are a 1 KD player or a 0.5 KD player. At the end of the day low KD players are still low KD players. Hell if I really wanted to I could look at a persons accuracy stats and take a guess as to how well they are able to kill people. I may not know the exact number but I have a decent idea as to what kind of player you are.

Finally, FCRW doesn't have "plenty of kairly low KD players." The few that they do have are actually just friends who hang out with them. DA has that as well but it is a different outfit.
  20. Fellgnome

Only thing I can pick out of this wall of text with much relevance is that you believe you'd still be able to judge a character based on other stats. So... why not remove KD again?

Thing is most players, nobody looks at their stats but they still play as if people do. This is what hurts the gameplay. I am not saying you can't get good KD while playing aggressively/objectively/etc., but that people who can't get good KDs doing that may play in ways that allow them to maintain a respectable KD. And that's not a good thing.
    • Up x 2