[Suggestion] Remove K/D

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpartanPsycho, Nov 26, 2014.

1. SpartanPsycho

Remove it. No compromise. It does not belong in this game. Yes, people like having it, but this game is about team work.

Why do we still have it? People worry about being discredited because their K/D is to low, they spawn warrior, they farm for it. It has NO place in this game I say again. Why does SOE allow it to be included? The only people who care about K/D are people who are scared of it being to low, or they want to say "look at mine"

Great job. Good show! When I ask other players "hey how are you doing this session" K/D of X is said back to me. What about SPM? What about the myriad of other things that we should track? Suppresses, revives, heals, repairs, medals and ribbons. Why not those? K/D keeps people from rushing a point, taking risks, saving teammates, and killing the enemy. It promotes stat-padding and farming. Does it make anyone truly happy? No, it doesn't. K/D has the same situation as **** Germany did. "oh better go along with this ******** or I might lose money" and "oh let the ******* with meteoris take over and I'll die for his beliefs" except with K/D its "better get it up, or I might get teased" and "can't join that outfit they have a K/D requirement.

That's another thing. Outfits requiring K/D levels are full of ****. This game is about taking over the planet, not killing the enemy. Yet outfits have this in place. CoOp on Emerald had it, but they died. Why is allowed again? I can't play with this outfit because of K/D? If your part of an outfit requiring this, you should tell the outfit leader that the rule is bull. Oh yes, everyone will say "look at the raging kid" Oh really? How many times have people in gaming raged about K/D. How many people have raged in planetside and quit because they have a .6 KDR?

Yeah great idea you dummy now we can't find hackers. SOE can use KD for that. But I want to see it!!!! Guess what? Go play CoD or BF if you want to have a ratio of virtual kills to virtual deaths. K/D keeps players playing it safe, not pushing the envelope and running around blowing stuff up. Does any game want the players hiding behind cover and farming? What about WINNING TERRITORY!?

Haha not a problem, it won't help. Yes it will. Player retention anybody? I almost quit this game in beta when I died several times without killing anyone. As I look back at all the deaths I had, I think, how does someone who doesn't have the infinitesimal patience I can draw on if I want to cope? They quit, that's how. SOE you need to make money. Here's a message: MOST OF THE THINKING PLAYERS WANT YOU TO SUCCEED TOO! That's why I have bought SC and a memberships. To support the game. The more players that stay, the more money you make. Lots of problems we've suggested you work on time and time again. Latency, netcode, the bugs. But as long as we can have fun we will stay.

Is it fun to grind and farm? No, not most of the time. Is it fun to see and 40% NC pop pushing the 60% vs out of a base because you and others are working like machines? Yes, it is. When I see those sundies burning after heavies you revived killed them, then you feel awesome. What if you stayed behind cover, playing it safe, and let the VS gradually win the base. (they were all on the point. the nc burned out their force and took back the next three hexes) Would you have fun? Nope.

So TL:DR Remove K/D

Nobody wanting to help their team gives a ****.
    • Up x 12
  2. FateJH

What's our thread/week rate for remove K/D topics?
    • Up x 8
  3. Ribero

They'll be getting their own sub forum soon.
    • Up x 4
  4. FateJH

I commented myself. How embarassing.

In any case, OP, people have been making threads about this for a long time. The arguments that are made rarely ever change either, though they are occasionally made in a more eloquent tone.
    • Up x 1
  5. SpartanPsycho

You could also maybe discuss it instead of spamming.
  6. Ceylon

since the "if you get revived it doesnt count as a death" crap its ******** anyway. just to please the kiddies so they can post their glorious k/d ratio in their signature :D
  7. Shanther

Ever realize how the majority of people who bash KD and want it removed are people who have a 1 KD or less. Just food for thought.

It is kind of amusing you bring up COOP and KD requirement, that is far from the first outfit that I would pick. TIW, DA, AC, ZAPS, FCRW all jump to my mind way before COOP.
    • Up x 2
  8. Mauzeraut

Why do you care about K/D? Unless you're some kind of Youtube personality, noone gives a damn about it. This isn't Gearscore.

I use it to measure how well I did in a session, or to see statistically if I've improved, but the measurement is very limited in how useful it is. I didn't pay attention to it at all until I started going after the HA weapon directive, and HA is very specific about what it does (no utility aspects, just kills), so in this case it has some application, but even then, it's just a yardstick. Luck, environment and the situation at hand all affect the outcome.

I enjoy high risk high reward tactics that the majority of the time end up with me getting dead. They are, however, incredibly fun, moreso when I pull it off. This is not conducive to K/D.

Thankfully, I don't value K/D like some people seem to, busting out medkits before death and never leaving the respawn, bailing out of aircraft as Light Assaults (because that's so much more useful than engineer) only to redeploy anyway, always on defense and never taking the necessary risks to have fun, never going after hard targets where they are outgunned and outnumbered, never knowing triumph... because they're worried about a single number on an excel sheet somewhere.

It's just a stat guys. Then there's this thing you learn about in school called "Observer Bias", referring to how a subject will act differently if they know they're being observed. The difference here is my K/D actually reflects reality because, to me, it's just a yardstick. To other people it seems to be a drill sergeant screaming in their ears that whatever they're doing just isn't good enough, so they pad the stat as hard as possible. That's one way to play, I guess, but it doesn't sound fun to me.

Removing it would help the padding scenario, but again, why care about it in the first place? In the average player's case, it wouldn't matter at all.

(Edit: typo correction)
    • Up x 2
  9. Whatupwidat

KDR is as important as a player makes it to themselves. If a player quits this game based soley on having low KDR, then I'd argue they weren't the right type of person to get this game anyway. Good riddance.
  10. Alarox

The one thing I've learned from these threads is that the people who care most about K/D are the people who care least about it.
    • Up x 8
  11. EViLMinD

If you don't care about KD then just don't care. Play how you want. Don't let it stop you from playing medic or piloting certain vehicles or LA + C4ing. Just play.

However, if you want to petition for a removal of TKs from KD, you have my full support.
  12. Mauzeraut

I think it's interesting how it affects behavior. Also, the OP wants to take away my yardstick because it's adversely affecting my gameplay. Somehow.
  13. TheShrapnelKing

Removing players' death counts was one of the things I will admit #BuzzWasRight about.

When there's a publicly visible statistic that is the basic FPS measure of skill, people will change their behaviour to make theirs higher. For example: if you're getting spawn camped, there's no real harm in suicidally running out of the spawn room tryign to do something - better to try on the chance you manage to do somethign than sit in the spawnroom. But because doing so will wreck your KDR, to everyone else, it will make it look like you suck because a KDR stat doesn't give a **** under what circumstances you died. Thus, people don't tend to do it.

When people no longer have any idea how many times they've died, they will stop valuing their lives so much. Maybe then people would be more willing to, say, be the first one through the door when a group crashes an enemy defence: someone has to be in front to get hit first so the people behind you get the chance to kill the enemy. But if there's a KDR stat, well, now it doesn't matter if you died for a good reason, your KD goes down which makes you look 'bad'.

It would also mean that arguments would have to be resolved using facts about the game and logic rather than waving your fancy *** KDR in someone's face and saying "this makes my opinion more correct than yours".
    • Up x 7
  14. SpartanPsycho

Actually
    I just remembered CoOp because I personally know more people that were in it
    And as for your snide k/d comment, yes I have a more than 1 k/d (nothing to boast of because combat medic :D) but you missed the point of "ill be discredited because of my kd.
    • Up x 1
  15. SpartanPsycho

I approve of this post.
    • Up x 3
  16. SpartanPsycho

That is actually one of the reasons. Recon Team 6 is tk heaven
  17. SpartanPsycho

You shouldn't be snide. We discussed a2g and you somewhat agreed with me. Therefore, maybe I'm not the ******* you seem to think I am :D
    • Up x 1
  18. IPLAYTF2

k/d does matter when it's extremely low anything below like 2.0 means your basically a glorifed cert dummy for the entire playbase to kill
  19. DirArtillerySupport

For those interested in expanding their K/D knowledge on a more detailed level Real Time Stat Tracker is a dream come true. It even keeps track of how many rage-quits you get and a constant kill streak tally. ;)
  20. CNR4806

I wonder when, or if these people will realize the hypocrisy of creating a thread ranting about something that they claim to be unimportant.

This one is particularly hilarious with a huge text wall.
    • Up x 4