RECAP: Friday Night Ops - Episode 19

Discussion in 'Friday Night Ops' started by Luperza, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Daimond

Not sure what person you were tallking to to read there side, as you didnt quote them. Also was not going to read every single post to find it.
    But im sure they were refering to http://bulletphysics.org/wordpress/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_(software) which is open source, and can run on all cards, in both Directx and OpenCL. Where as PhysX runs on Directx and was talked about but not sure if they ever did, make run on OpenCL. But also PhysX in DX only runs on the GPU if on an Nvida card, where as Bullet Physics can run on all cards in DX, on Gforce, AMD, and intel, cuase it accualy pulls it aside from the DX and calculates it in OpenCL, from what I undersand, which could have draw backs posably. But this is widly used and regarded as far better system, and is gaining faster and faster support/groath. But might also have todo with that its open source so no royaltes or permitions need to be asked for to change/add to the system.
  2. DeusExMachina

Watch the interview in the video, i know what bullet physics software is and i'm not talking about it.
  3. Daimond

Its cool you already know about it, although looked like you were asking about it :)
    But I have watched that interview and just rewatched it to see if I missed something. But I still did not hear them talk about Bullet physics in anyway. But no matter, not realy a big deal as I misinterpeted what you were asking or talking about in your post.
  4. DeusExMachina

Well, you're a kind person, rather rare on this forums (including me :p {edit://as in i'm also not a kind person on this forums}) so i'll explain a little bit.
    One of ( AFAIK ) two things Cycles mentioned to be responsible for in this game was bullet physics ( not as in BP software) so i was referring to it. (Even though he was answering some questions not really related to his working topics, which was also mentioned after the interview)
    If you're interested in SRs scopes "zeroing" issue here are some threads that you may refer to:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...drop-and-bullet-elevation.85174/#post-1148512
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/bolt-action-sniper-rifles.75589/page-3 (page 3)
    Although there were more discussions about it here and there on the infiltrator forums.
  5. Daimond

NP, if im wrong im wrong or missinterpeted in this case heh, I dont mind admiting it :)
    you are referning to the bullet drop compaired to the angle your shooting at basicaly? ( not the bullet dropping in as it's self mind you )
    Cuase ya thats out of wack a bit, although have not played much lately, seems as though it is still not fixed. I have not realy tested this using other guns compaired to sniper rifles though.

As 90% my time is behind a sniper rifle, through Beta as TR mainly and NC now mostly. Although did play hell of alot more durring beta then release sofar :/
  6. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

I wrote the exterior ballistics equations in addition to implementing the rest of the supporting systems on both the client and the server to support simple ballistics and guided projectiles as well. I did *NOT* model the trans-sonic cross-over instability or spin-drift, but pretty much everything else is in there. The scope alignment is design-side data, and not directly related to the code that I wrote.

Senior engineers/programmers are usually all over the place in the code, so they asked what I primarily worked on - optimizations and projectiles were the key points, but I've worked on everything from the low-level mouse reading, graphics pipeline ordering, multi-threaded lock/lockless implementations, disk I/O systems, etc. as needed (as have most of the senior folks on the project).
    • Up x 3
  7. Luperza Community Manager

Added the Sneak Peeks YouTube interview with Tom to the original post. Higher quality video with just his interview. View it and share it to let us know that you want more of these! :)
    • Up x 2
  8. DeusExMachina

Yep, that's what i was referring to.

Well, a dev response.
    [IMG]
    Although that doesn't answer the rumours and guesses about the scope zeroing/alignment but i bet you have better things to work on atm.
    I didn't know that flattering projectile trajectory depending on shooting angle is as sophisticated as calculating "trans-sonic cross-over instability", well, then at least it's not equation problem.
    Considering how lucky i am i wanted to ask about whose bright idea was to make scope sway sinusoidally shaped and not infinity sign shaped and to leave minimal scope sway when holding breath and making it so long to stabilise the breath and causing weapon to recoil down when looking up and and... and... ; but after rethinking it i found that i don't really care, SRs are probably the only thing that can be considered working as intended on "infiltrator" take away the attachments (and now meaby the SMG too :S). there would also probably be some people that would try to convince others that it's up to personal preferences, so never mind.

Have a nice day.

(Ps. I'm looking forward to LA buff/revamp (I couldn't refrain from a little bit of sarcasm, but that's not pointed at you Cycles anyway.))
    (Ps.2 Sorry for my poor engrish)

EDIT://
    Oh, and i know (or at least i can presume) that these are not the only thing you do, i've just said that these are the things you've mentioned in the video, that you're working on on day-to-day basis. But still it was an interesting reading about what senior programmers may do in general in game development (really).
  9. the pestimist

:rolleyes: I meant someone else. let soe think it out.