Quick Note on Optimization

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by codeForge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. TheBoss@BossRigs

Hello,

BossRigs.com would like to speak with someone in regards to this thread. We are bundling our PC's with PS2 and need some technical expertise. Thanks for forwarding this up the ladder Mods. Much appreciated.
  2. dr_Fell

Sorry, I have to add another comment. You are confusing facts with Your interpretations. And You are misinterpreting the facts. Intel CPU have better performance in this game, because they have higher core to core performance than AMD. You see no sense in optimisation. Facts are, that this game has the same FPS when I am running it on 4 or on 2 cores. Additional 2 cores give less than 4% performance, so this just could be measurement error.Despite my graphic card is also "not decent" (OC GTX 460) I can switch between low to ultra graphic settings and (excluding fog and shadows) I have no noticeable impact on performance. This game could and should have much lower hardware requirements than it has now.
    If I had Phenom II 3,6 GHz I could play the game just like I am playing it now. That is because lack of optimisations. If this game scaled with more than 2 cores it would run on my processor perfectly. Problem is - it doesn't, as of today.
  3. Xavstar

[IMG]
    Pro tip: Use Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced PC cases as they keep pet cats bums warm ;)
    • Up x 1
  4. iller

^This. Shorthairs LOVE warm computer surfaces, especially Siamese.

I actually used to Admin with a guy who worked in their chemical rooms. He says it wasn't architecture but the fact that AMD just couldn't get all of the impurities out of their rooms like Intel. Hence why AMD is the "budget" maker. The funny part is.... you only REALLY notice it when the software you're running is so poorly coded that it's basically Emulating certain heavy-repetition data

For instance, right now my 3.4ghz AMD Dualcore is getting better FPS on CrysisEngine3 in MWO than this other guy with a first-Gen 2.4ghz I5. His chip is made for heavier lifting but that doesn't matter when the code itself is smooth as butter.
  5. XRIST0

SONY , please fix this ! im begging you .

Using amd crossfire , when you enter a vehicle and enter the cockpit .. the frame rate drops immensly

If you ALT + TAB in and out of the game , its smooth as butter again and its rather annoying to do every time you get in and out of the aircraft .

This is my only issue with the game really , i cannot fly properly because of this . It seems like a simple fix , please adress this .

thanks
  6. margaret sulliva

Nice Information....!!!!
  7. Intradas

the thing i don't get after playing around with the settings yesterday is that no matter what i do the fps stays around a certain number (20-40).

if i disable all extra's such as shadows, ambient lighting, .... and leave the rest at medium -> 25-ish fps with a creen cpu.
    if i enable everything and edit the usersettings to use 4 for texture quality, models, ... -> 25-ish fps with yellow gpu.
    (both in fights, larger bases. indoors it fluctuates a lot more)

is there something i'm missing? no matter what i try, i can't get high fps. i feel like i'm just missing some sort of stupid setting (either in the game's settings or some sort of dynamic boost function for the cpu i need to kick in the balls). i don't need all the fancy ligting and such, but to me it seems like the game runs a bit better if i enable them.

AMD 1055T & 7850
  8. Xadskad

I made a new post about this, but thought I might try here too.

As of right now, I can only play PS2 for about 30 min before I start getting motion sick because of this new patch. According to the patch notes they:

"Fixed a few crash bugs and provided some optimizations to improve gameplay."

I don't know what all they did, but I had absolutely no problems before and could play for multiple hours at a time with decent FPS. Not anymore and I've tried to tweak the gfx settings to no avail. I didn't need any optimizations to my gfx so this is rather frustrating to not be able to play a very good game for a problem that I wasn't having before. I think it has to do with the framerate as you move your vision around because it seems much less fluid than it did before and when I'm in a lib or tank, it makes me sick very quickly.

I am open to suggestions here because right now, the game is unplayable for me. Is there any way for me to change the gfx back to what they were or a certain setting to help smooth things out?

I searched the forum already but didn't find any posts related to my problem. The above post seems to address some of the FPS issues, so I figured I'd try here. If anyone knows a solution, please let me know.

Thanks.
  9. dr_Fell

Strange things with latest patch. Seems I finally have a bit better FPS (28+ instead of 18+ in most crowded areas) but game became unstable, crash every 2-3 hours.

But I like it better now, at least I can play with more than 35 FPS now, usually.
  10. OzzY

We had some optimization problems in the beta but i think its going a bit too far for now. Its completly unplayable right now with my radeon hd 7830 . Its not the best card on the market but when i put the graphics at low ect.. it was running smooth. Wish i could support even with poor performance but now its just.......extremely "glichy" . Glad to ear that some of you can play.

Little advice, you could ask the community if they can afford less details on players and tanks for better overall performance.

Keep it up SOE. I want planetside 2 to be best 2012 videogame.
  11. Kon

the game doesn't really benefit from xfire or sli, due to it beign dx9 based, they need to bring the game ouf of the stoneage as i don't think there are any players using dx9 cards and if they are they are too poor to spend any cash on items. down to dx9 only reason games are still made on this is because consoles still use it and companies cbf working with something different
  12. husse

well its not only about dx9 its same with Nvidia drivers they dont support planet side 2:
    NVIDIA 3D Vision
    Planetside 2 - rated Not Recommended
  13. Lyrac

Hello,
    Just to give feedback:

Before the (two?) big patch(es),
    on low settings I used to have around 70+ fps, now I'm averaging ~25, sometimes even 20.

System Specs are:
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 8192MB DDR3-1333
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series, exactly: 2048MB HIS ATI HD 6950 IceQ X
  14. SupremeZyziz

The more I play this game there more problems I run into it - But for some odd reason i can't leave. It's like some addictive drug thats going to leave me sleep deprived and late for something. I'm glad my system can kinda run it at low (40 ish FPS) - It does frustrate me that I bought my pc hoping to play new games. As a consumer I held my end and played it, spread word of it awesomeness, and just loved it. I'm hoping this can be fixed soon as I wan't this game to rule for F2P games are something I strongly support.
    My specs :
    Intel core i7 2500k Oc'd @ 4.5 ghz
    Nvidia geforce gtx550ti
    8 gigs of ram
    other less important stuff.

can anyone else sympathize with me on the current state of the game?
  15. LordMondando

Out of intrest, what are you basing this opinion on? The CPU architecture? Its comparable performance in other games? your in depth knowledge of the Forgelight engine?

From your statements in this thread you appear to consider enthusiast level computers entry level. Which kinda makes me question you expertise here. Hell I'd wager your thought process is not going vastly beyond 'It is AMD, the processor are 3 years old, therefore, it are bad'.

Remember this is an MMO. If the game is limited (and was designed to be) to people who'd spent over 700£ pounds on their computer in the last 2 years, it will fail and the failure of this business model is honestly pretty banally apparent.
  16. reddragons

Your issue is simple and not one created by SOE. I have the exact set up .. minus the i7 i have the i5 instead.... I go from 30-60 fps which is more then acceptable. What is holding your system (and mine) back from getting a better fps is the 550ti. You are expecting too much from a hundred dollar card. It's unfortunate, but in reality, if you don't spend two hundred to three hundred dollars on a card now days ... get stuck with a semi ok fps.:)
  17. LordMondando

Your just going on the price of the card?

Methinks you know not of what you speak. 550ti is no joke.

God this thread crawls with uninformed snobbery.
  18. LordMondando

Its counter intuitive, but the issue here more than anything else may be your trying to run it on low/medium. Only SoE know why the engine is coded like this (and I imagine its what there slaving away on changing now) but the game is ridiculously CPU intensive anyway, when you turn the settings down it gets worse as it stops putting pressure on your GPU to do.. the graphics. Leaving all the work on your way more than capable 2nd gen i7.

try this. Its developed based on others on the forum, but the idea is, turn CPU intensive stuff off, put everything on GPU that can be put on GPU (and your GPU should be able to handle it easily). Several people have found it helps a lot.

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=4
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=1500.000000
    Gamma=0.490000
    MaximumFPS=250
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=4
    EffectsQuality=4
    TerrainQuality=4
    FloraQuality=0
    ModelQuality=4
    VerticalFOV=74
    ParticleLOD=4
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    MotionBlur=0
    VSync=0
    GpuPhysics=1
  19. zgunner

That seems to make sense. My game runs like crap when I turn all the settings down. Yet it seems to run fine when I have certain graphics settings turned up. This was kind of like in beta. It was odd, I would turn my render quality down and my game would get slower and slower. I feel like I would be getting 120FPS on ultra, lol.

Either way thanks for the tip, I will try out these settings.
  20. Luacry

If you look at the performance monitoring and check Planetside2, it makes a graphical line to demonstrate usage on the core(s) of the game. It is only using 0NE of my 8 cores. By the way, all the players talking about unparking cores, if you have a 64 bit windows and an AMD FX processor (Bulldozer or now the Piledriver) Windows made a hotfix to make the 64 bit system properly utilize the FX processors. This hotfix was out in February her is the link. I am not sure what you Intel people are doing or if it is safe, but to properly utilize your FX processors you should have run these Windows Updates long ago and have not had core parking for some time now.

http://www.ngohq.com/news/21092-amd-bulldozer-performance-hotfixes-for-windows-7-a.html

This is the best place to get them from, it is easy and fast and offers a clear exploitation. I have verified by having hte hotfoxes emailed to me from windows, these are indeed the same files. You can also easily find the hotfix at Windows.com For FX users AMD reports increased performance across the board.

As for the game, I do not want to play with my shadows off and my fog on low and my render distance in front of my face. I built my rig for high performance and expect when fully optimized the game will run smooth with all my settings maxed out. As it is, I am doing pretty good at high on them all and the game clearly is not optimized for the AMD Multicore processors yet. Byt he way, any word on when that is coming?