Quick Note on Optimization

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by codeForge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Kaniboy86

cheers mate answers my current post but do you have a timescale of how long you wish to be optimising this game for. will it be best to check back in an hour or a year?
  2. Sinplify

I just love the support of this game...
    Coming from Blizzard forums, I must say that the devs here really amaze me...
    Keep up the good work... Looking forward to up my framerate and K/D ratio :)
    • Up x 1
  3. XRIST0

Game runs pretty awesome for me now , i was almsot ready to give up during the beta because using crossfire 6970's i would get 20fps average ..

Now with the latest beta drivers , settings on high , shadows disabled , fog shadows disabled .. i get 60fps @ 1080p always even in huge battles .. But at some places its very cpu restricted and it dips to 50 with even nobody around .

I only ever see a maximum of 50% of each gpu though , crossfire scaling needs improving alot .

Alot more optimization to be done , but you guys have come a long way and this game is epic .. Keep at it guys ! fix this frame rate issue , and this game will be number 1 .
  4. dr_Fell

I am wondering - could running this game on 64 bit Windows XP (instead Windows 7) improve performance ?
  5. XRIST0

I think performance would be worse mate , why would you do that ?

The game actually runs great , if you have a decent enough computer .

If you dont have a decent computer , theres nothing much all the optimization in the world can do for you .
  6. Irathi

Define decent.

Also; I think more or less everyone including the devs agree that the game does not run "great". It doesn't even run "satisfactory".
  7. VolexTagamin

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440 3Ghz
    GPU: GeForce GTX550Ti 1Gb
    RAM: 8 Gb
    FPS: away from the battle 55-60, the capture of a large building 6-7 ;(((((((
  8. Taskforce

Some of you guys obviously were not around for tech test pre beta. This game is leappppps and bounds better optimized. They're moving at a phenomenal pace with the optimization updates and the overall quality. I am not kissing butt here but stating pure facts. I guess you appreciate it a lot more when you have been here since the beginning.

Within a few months I bet Ps2 will be just fine. We have to remember, the game literally just launched. We have to give these guys time lol.

Great work Dev team, it sucks you dont get more respect for all the work you all are putting in.

-Grave
    • Up x 1
  9. XRIST0

I personally think its because your using an AMD cpu ..

Im using crossfire 6970's , an i7 870 @ 4.2Ghz with 8GB of ram ! Everybody knows this game does not fully support crossfire right now and i can play this game perfectly fine from 50-60FPS .. In huge battles i get 60FPS , in some areas it is cpu restricted and i drop to 50 or so .

The game ( for me ) actually runs fantastic ? it does need some more optimazation but its smooth as butter for me , i have everything set on high except i have shadows disabled , and fog shadows disabled .

Update you drivers for your 7950 to 12.11 beta 11 .

What settings are you running mate ? do you have fog shadows ticked ? are your shadows on high ?

If i have shadows on high , and fog shadows ticket .. i get 20-30fps .. I think these 2 are your problem man .
  10. dr_Fell

Do You really believe into what You wrote or just wanted to talk us all that You are the one that has "decent enough" computer ? Some things You wrote are just so obwious (performance always can be worse, but what this brings into discussion ?) Performance is not good enough and devs admit it. Do You know better ?

That is usually true also for every game, with good or with bad code too. And says nothing about possible improvements, code quality.

Let's say it's just not true. (stronger words came to my mind).
    Optimisation can bring big performance improvements in software speed and often does.
    In case of this game - I have 4x3,6 GHz Phenom II, that for now is obviously "not decent". The game, when CPU bound, uses no more than 50-55% of all cores. If the game were optimised to level it would use 80-90% of my CPU I would get no less than 30 FPS instead of 20 in most crowded areas. And it is big difference.
  11. XRIST0

My computer just barely meets the word decent , i7 870 @ 4.2Ghz , overlocked 6970's crossfire and 8GB of ram .. I built it 2 years ago .

( FROM my point of view ) the game runs fine , but like i said with shadows OFF and fog shadows OFF .

With both of them enabled , on high i get 20-30fps .

I do agree , like i said in my 1st post that this game needs much more optimaztion but it has come along way since the beta where i even used to get 15-20fps .

I dont want to sound like an ******* here , but your phenom II x4 is cutting thin ice man . These cpu's are not good for this game and theres only so much optimization they can do . They cant make it run like magic on a pentium 2 now can they ?

It all comes down to how decent your computer is really , no offence so please dont get upset its just the truth .

Hopefully the CPU usage will get more optimization and it will work out for you , but i still dont know how you can enjoy playing at 30fps .
  12. dr_Fell

I enjoy it playing at 20 FPS, still managed to got 2,5/1 K/D ratio with engineer today :) (most of the time FPS were 30 or more, to be honest)
  13. Hatamoto

Is enjoy really the right word for 20 fps? Barely tolerate would be the only words id use
  14. mmstick

Oh really now, I'm using an AMD CPU, and I get much higher FPS than you are getting here with my 7950 overclocked. I even run this game with 2xSSAA to remove the blur of FXAA. However, this game needs more than some optimization, it needs massive optimization. Even you stated you had to remove features in order to get it to run smoothly. Likewise, I removed shadows completely, lowered RenderDistance to 1000, and set all the graphics options to Ultra (4).

Put short, don't go dissing on AMD CPUs. They have superior integer performance which games use significantly more than floating point, supposing the game is threaded decently well.
  15. Mightylink

I can't wait till this game runs smoother, I really love the graphics, I can run them on max fine most of the time, its just during those huge battles sometimes when theres over 100 players nearby it starts to lag pretty bad and changing to lowest settings doesn't seem to make a difference at all, same lag as on max settings, I think its the shear polygon count thats killing it, we need a way to lod player and vehicle models when there farther away, currently the model detail option only seems to effect buildings which aren't the things lagging us in huge battles :p
  16. iller

Is anyone noticing any changes after this Patch today?
  17. Irathi

original post/thread http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/cpu-gpu-performance.61855/#post-788604

copy-paste:
    Ok i saw a MAJOR fps increase today. In fact the in game meter would now show me that i am GPU bound more often than CPU bound, even in larger fights.

Granted the fight was not AS big as the one in my previous post, however it was a good one. Most importantly, the gameplay felt a lot smoother.

Note if you are comparing the two posts that the fps graph has been increased from max 100 to max 150. This was due to the fps being well up in the hundreds in small fights.

I ran Fraps during the medium/large fight and the results where astonishing compared to earlier. With the same settings i recorded:
    Frames Time (ms) Min Max Avg
    7630 128981 44 83 59.156

That is up from average 35-40ish! GREAT JOB SOE! I will send you'r code monkey that christmas banana.

There still seem to be 1 core taking the major load, but notice the other ones are much more active now. Especially the bottom two in the center. The GPU usage is also a LOT higher, resting at around 70% and sometimes bumping up to 99-100%.
    [IMG]my settings where untouched from the last time.
    [IMG]
  18. iller

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of... Newer CPU's got the help they needed but mine's just gonna fall further behind now.

This problem with the scope is also just as bad in all the same old places:

19. Drippyskippy

I have noticed this myself. I use a 4x zoom on my LSW Pulsar as well, when I zoom in my frames drastically drop. One reason why I put a laser sight on my gun and use hip fire a lot.
  20. dr_Fell

As stated by SOE president - no FPS improving update with this patch. Sorry to say that, but higher FPS could be caused by many other reasons. Maybe there were less people on the server so Your fps were higher ? I didn't notice higher FPS, unfortunately.