Planetside.exe virus Win32: Hoblig [Heur]

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Renegade, May 11, 2013.

1. Jakes

Fortunately I pulled my HD after this incident and replaced it so that all the information regarding this situation could be fully intact and reviewable to determine if SOE distributed an infected file, also my only claim incase a class action ever arises.
  2. EmmeraldWeapon

Lol good luck with that yo. I believe one of the ULAs protects it against any damage that might happen because of the program. It is in like every single program you download and install.. essentially once it is on your computer, you agree the programmer is under no legal fault what happens after.
  3. EmmeraldWeapon

You will not be returning to PS2 because your totally free antivirus flagged it as a possible threat based on it's heuristics.

Hahahahahahahaah
  4. Jakes

Still waiting on an explanation to the following situation, unfortunately I was not the only one in my outfit to experience it either and ever since one of the outfit members hard drives has been acting extremely strange even to the point of removing itself from the hard drive list via registry edits. He is also having issues with his keyboard and mouse becoming unresponsive regularly for long periods of time until he CTRL+ALT+DEL and then they begin responding again. He has said that this has never occurred before for his computer and that Microsoft tech support suggested that he scan his computer because it could likely be a virus causing the issue after they were unable to identify any technical issue that could have caused this problem.

Interestingly enough Avast is not the only anti virus picking this up, there are some very diligent and expensive security programs available to people who perform a certain line of work, and they too are detecting some malicious code within the patch file specifically downloaded between Oct. 15th-17th.

It would be advisable for SOE to check their own systems meticulously to ensure that 3 months down the road everyone's password isn't reset and a damage control campaign initiated similar to what happened a year ago when the network was completely compromised.

Again I must state; there should be absolutely no reason that a Planetside2 patch file would try to execute and take over the itype.exe keyboard process and drivers upon a computer boot up. I cannot stress this enough, this should NOT be occurring if it is a 'false positive.'
  5. Brainwayne

^ bump
  6. bwilson

Bumping this thread isn't going to help any longer. If you feel as though you need further assistance you would be better off opening a ticket. I doubt however they are going to comment too much further. They've stated this was not a virus, they worked with Avast. You might have something else going on in your computer beside what you think is a fault by the planetside executable.
  7. Artifex78

That's just non-sense. Either you post some proof or keep silent. During several virustotal.com scans only avast flagged the file - and it was a hit by the heuristic scan, not a "known" thread. I am assuming here you know what a heuristic scan is. If not, please look it up.

Obviously the case is closed now as Avast isn't flagging the executable anymore.

As far as I know, no update server from any of their games was effected. How do you know their *complete* network was compromised?

First of all, itype.exe is not your keyboard driver! It a MS tool for MS keyboards to utilize additional functions of MS keyboards (function keys) + some other features like disabling keys etc. I seriously doubt it you can use it for "keylogging".

Secondly, again, show us some proof.
  8. Jakes

Still waiting on an explanation to the following situation, unfortunately I was not the only one in my outfit to experience it either and ever since one of the outfit members hard drives has been acting extremely strange even to the point of removing itself from the hard drive list via registry edits. He is also having issues with his keyboard and mouse becoming unresponsive regularly for long periods of time until he CTRL+ALT+DEL and then they begin responding again. He has said that this has never occurred before for his computer and that Microsoft tech support suggested that he scan his computer because it could likely be a virus causing the issue after they were unable to identify any technical issue that could have caused this problem.

Interestingly enough Avast is not the only anti virus picking this up, there are some very diligent and expensive security programs available to people who perform a certain line of work, and they too are detecting some malicious code within the patch file specifically downloaded between Oct. 15th-17th.

It would be advisable for SOE to check their own systems meticulously to ensure that 3 months down the road everyone's password isn't reset and a damage control campaign initiated similar to what happened a year ago when the network was completely compromised.

Again I must state; there should be absolutely no reason that a Planetside2 patch file would try to execute and take over the itype.exe keyboard process and drivers upon a computer boot up. I cannot stress this enough, this should NOT be occurring if it is a 'false positive.'
  9. EmmeraldWeapon

Jakes... because words are wasted on you, much like the time I am taking now. WHat you observed to have happen, did not happen. Something else may have been "taking control" but it was not ps2, and probably nore did anything else did. Generally trojans, backdoors, keyloggers ect don't control anything, they monitor, save, and send out.
  10. Cod4drow