Planetside.exe virus Win32: Hoblig [Heur]

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Renegade, May 11, 2013.

1. Renegade

Hello first I started test server and Avast found the virus Win32: Hoblig [Heur] in planetside2.exe file and then I wanted to go play the normal game but the same thing happened. Avast antivirus program always puts these files into a virus chest and I'm afraid to ignore this alert. Found on web that this virus can access the master boot record. Need help what do you suggest?
    • Up x 1
  2. Renegade

Every time I validate files it founds this virus. It's weird yesterday I was playing without any problems.
  3. JonboyX

Could be a false positive because the exe file can make changes to your hard disk. However, to be sure, try using this free online antivirus scan from Norton. It's not guaranteed to work, but give it a go:

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/WelcomePage.asp
  4. Andy789

I wouldn't worry about it. I've been playing since last year and have had no viruses.
  5. Renegade

I got this pop up after trying to run Planetside 2. This message is generated by PS 2 launcher.
    ERROR!

Unable to launch D:/Hry/PS 2 test server/PlanetSide2.exe - 225: Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus.

6. monk1junk1

I have the same problem. Regardless of if it's a real virus or not I cannot get the anti-virus to stop quarantining the file :/
  7. Artifex78

And you shouldn't. It could be a false-positive but you never know. Wouldn't be the first compromised update server.
    I've opened a ticket with support, they'll take care of it.
    • Up x 2
  8. JonboyX

Again - may I refer to the above.

Some heuristic scanning algorithms may detect a hard disk altering set of code and red flag it - they aren't perfect. Try using a different anti virus scanner such as the one I linked to see if more than one program flags it. You really should also have a boot disk with a different AV software on it so that you can boot from that disk and run a scan/clean in an emergency; heck - paid for AV suites are £19 for 3 PCs at the worst.

The alternative (btw) is just to delete the file mate. The patcher will pull a fresh file down.
  9. Renegade

that's the problem when the patcher pulls the file it's already with a virus :-D I think it's a false alarm as well I made my antivirus program to ignore the file and everything looks fine for now.
  10. bNy_

Never trust anti-virus programs.
  11. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

It's definitely a false-positive, Sony Online Entertainment would *never* put malicious software on your machine. Please ensure that you have added an exception within your Firewall or Anti-Virus software for planetside2.exe, launchpad.exe, and awesomiumprocess.exe.

The location of these files can vary, but by default they should look like this:

Win7/Vista/Win8

C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.exe
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.libs\AwesomiumProcess.exe

Windows XP

C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.exe
    C:\Program Files\\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.libs\AwesomiumProcess.exe

PS2 & Anti-Virus Software
  12. ironeddie

I'm sure soe wouldn't but that doesn't mean a file couldn't be compromised by a third party at soe's end. Though I'm sure soe take steps to prevent such a thing being likely.
    • Up x 2
  13. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

In the entire time that I have worked here, I have not heard or seen a single case of this happening. I guarantee you, anything downloaded from us is squeaky clean.
  14. ironeddie

That's good to know. I work in IT support myself & prefer to assume nothing is fully secure though. There's a first time for everything & all that.
  15. Sov21

16. Artifex78

May I remind you of this. I am sure the data they stole was "speaky clean" aswell. :/
    Ironeddie is right, nothing is 100% secure. Your suggestion is a mere workaround, not a solution. I would suggest a different approach - Contact the AV company(ies) and sort it out!
    • Up x 3
  17. Pie Chasm

18. The King

i use avast and it doesn't do this for me..
  19. Pie Chasm

Have you tried updating recently? What is the SHA for your planetside.exe.. just out of curiosity, if you'd be so kind?

Is your avast database up to date? What operating system, etc.?

If you could upload a recently updated Planetside2.exe file to Virustotal.com and show us the results it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Oh.. this only seems to apply to the test server. I don't have the same issue for live.
  20. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

Wasn't working here at the time, that and the security breach wasn't the result of a virus. Adding exceptions to your anti-virus to play our games is one of the primary steps to problems occurring due to security software, next would be firewall, then router, etc...

I can reassure you, it's a false-positive.