Perspective time, K/D ratio: What is Good, Bad, Normal??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Knarfis, Mar 5, 2013.

1. DeusExForever

Keep in mind most go on mindless zergs in PS2 to rack up pretty points. All a player needs to do in PS2 to "look good" is get a good K/D and stop at infantry fighting, stay in a pack of about 10+ vehicles and zerg from point to point.

The game is simply so unbalanced, I don't even know why infantry even exists. At least Battlefield offers nice incentives to play infantry by limiting vehicle spawns to balance infantry | armor | aircraft. It forces the need to have a team of all three on world maps and all classes to win (all recon = lose; all assault = lose; all support = lose; all engineers = lost everything). Only real good station to fight at as infantry is the biolabs, as that's all interior (love meatgrinder scenerios that's pure infantry! Pretty boys need not apply to all the bullets and explosives).
  2. Fredfred

Currently AA, is so incredibly OP right now, it is pretty much is free certs sometimes.

Doesn't even give me actual SPM :eek:
  3. Clay

If you say it is unbalanced youre doing something wrong. I kill armor and aircraft all day with c4 on my light assault, my mana turret or simply as a heavy. I drive magriders sometimes or fly a little but im mostly an infantry player and rarely have issues with tanks, only in big zergs and that just happens in open world games. Sometimes I am happy 50% of them sits outside the base in their tank trying to rack up one kill or two from their point and not joining the fight for A.

And that you need teamplay to be effective is the case in almost every mmo game. If you want to play solo you can play a offline game or call of duty. Combined arms is very good at least for me, and adds so much to the game.
  4. DeusExForever

You're doing it wrong as not only do I play many MMOs, I'm usually posting about the game mechanics...especially balancing issues (and not because a faction/class/role can be OP, either). Not only am I right most of the time, my predictions proceeded masses of players leaving the game over them, and backed up with stock reports for some, too.

So, yeah, I do know what I'm talking about.

Secondly, you as an individual or squad won't turn the tide of 10+ vehicles spawn camping. This is why folks zerg with vehicles...your mana turret isn't going to kill them all, as you'll be dead in less than 2 hits when they focus you. You will not win at a vehicle zerg and but 1 infiltrator capping, period...you can't even leave the spawn room, or be instant gibbed by the focus fire if you drop a squad beacon far away enough to not be noticed, but still forcing infantry to run into all those HE and bullets.

That's why PS2 is so unbalanced (especially if weapon locks for high rate of TKs aren't permanent or folks deliberately TKing and getting almost 6 K/D in the game...and reported for exploiting FF on mechanics to do so).
  5. Alzir

Very old post this clearly but I thought i'd chip in with an answer to the OP (without reading the thread as a whole), K/D is not meaningless but it is only relative to how YOU like to play. If you're a pilot and only a pilot you'll have an insanely high K/D, see Daddy on Miller for example, and if you roll around in vehicles with any kind of skill consistently you'll also get a good K/D, and it's very easy to pad your K/D in a MAX suit or as a sniper, however if the stat is important to you, then you can only compare your K/D stats vs other people who play like you do. Infantry as a whole is hard to gauge in this game because you can easily sit in a spawn room and just pad your stats that way, but if you play only infantry and more or less fight properly all the time then I think for PS2 a K/D of 4 is extremely good. I've not checked his stats in a long time, but I base this on levelcap, who is a very good FPS player and whose youtube channel taught me a lot about BF3. He likes to fly as well, but he's is a great all rounder who ran with a 4/1 kd roughly, when he played the game properly.

In summary, watch the players you consider good, and who play the way YOU do, and then compare against them in order to gauge how well you're doing.
  6. Masterofm

My experience with K/D ratios. You will always start out with less then a 1.0 K/D ratio (I'm not a bad player and I think I was rocking a .68 ratio for a long time) Your tanks will suck, your guns will feel like wet noodles, and you will have pretty crap guns on all your vehicles.

You then unlock a few weapons and you start doing better, you unlock and max a few things like the vanguard shield, the dalton, dual comets, or lockdown and suddenly things get a lot easier. You tend to grasp how to use your weapons better and you start slowly pushing it up above 1.0. You start blasting a ton of battle rank 1-10 people who, let's face it, are cannon fodder in this game and suddenly the farming that people were doing to you when you were battle rank 1-15 you are now doing to them.

For the longest time I thought I was a terrible player at this game..... till I realized just how good some of the weapons are over others.
  7. Purg

Suicides skew the ratio. If I suicide of my own accord to beat a 10 second countdown, no-one gets credited with the kill but I score a D stat. I've been in platoons that, for the sake of speed, will ask you to suicide and redeploy.
  8. Masterofm

Couldn't you just hit U though. Not a huge difference in time.
  9. AdmiralArcher

nah people go on death streaks alot, my K/D is .75 ish, and so are many people that i play with.....some people have higher, but most of those people are tankers or just really good
  10. Leftconsin

I went out today and just wanted to focus on two things:
    1. Get the best KDR I could today without really sacrificing productivity.
    2. Get better at infantry combat.

I'm sure this is heresy for some of you who read this, but the results surprised me. I was more focused on survival instead of run run run everywhere. I enjoyed playing more because I spent less time staring at the respawn screen. I felt I was more productive because spawning -> running into a room -> getting blown away is not a productive life. And keep in mind: every person you kill that has to respawn is taken out of that fight for 15 seconds + the time it takes for them to run back to the fight.

My final results: I really enjoyed myself while trying to achieve those goals I set for myself. And I had a SPM reduction of only about 10% in comparison to sitting behind a MAX repairing it and feeding it ammo.
  11. Purg

As I said, it takes 10 seconds. Have been in platoons who want to react to stop a cap in another location as fast as possible. You either comply, suicide and redeploy or leave to play in another platoon. That's why the average K/D will never be 1.
  12. Masterofm

Although the game changed so if you are killed an a medic revives you you don't get counted for the death, but the person who killed you still gets the kill. Might never be 1, but I don't know if that is the norm in platoons or the outlying factor.

Also I find those type of platoons to be way too uptight, but at the same time lack enough tactical awareness to head the problem off at the pass.... but maybe that's just me. *shrug* I do however know that on Amerish that tactic is far more valid/common as tons of places can be taken at once.
  13. Xien

Nice straw man. Protip: Even if your straw man is constructed out of things I've said, it's still a straw man if the statement itself is not something I actually said.

Have a good one, kiddie.
  14. Clay

I also play many MMOs. Dont know how that qualifys you to call yourself a Planetside expert. "not only I am right most of the time" lol. Of course you think youre right. Everyone thinks he is right, otherwise he wouldnt post it in the forums. Only in your case, it has not much to do with reality.

And youre completely right. An individual wont turn the tide for against 10 vehicles or whatever. And you know what? That is called BALANCED. When one guy could turn a battle versus a large group, I would call the game highly unbalanced. It is perfect how it is now. If theres a group of tanks, you cant win the battle as a group of infantry. You need to either reinforce yourself with armor or aircraft or find another tactic than straight up attack. Also they are working on the spawn room thing by adding teleports etc. and I think it works pretty good. And I also dont know a game where you can beat a groupf of 50 people with a 5 man squad. Zergs are just a part of this game and if you dont want them you can easily avoid them by going to lower pop areas.

If youre running into HEs, youre not supposed to go to the forum and scream imba. You are supposed to unlock a anti armor gun for your tank and ******* blow that dude away because he cant do anything against armor with his HE. And that is, again, pretty balanced.
  15. Irathi

K/D matters - if you think it does

Objectives/capturing bases matters - if you think it does

Its all about perspective as there is no clear goal in Planetside2. My personal goal is having fun, if that involves a high KDR or KPM then K/D matters.
    • Up x 2
  16. FocusLight

By your own admission you are very fresh to FPS games and thus not only do you have to learn the specifics of PS2, you have to learn the specifics of shooters in general. This tells me lots of how capable I can expect you to be, and thus how often you die. It could be worse than 2 deaths per minute on average.

But it could get allot better too. I tend to say to questions like this that a K/D below 1.1 is noob-territory - you are learning the game and tend to get killed more often than not. I don't expect genuinely fresh players to beat a 1.1 overall K/D until they have gotten good enough that they know most of the basic intricacies of the game and can avoid the most obvious deaths, their reaction-time has improved to a capable levels, situational awareness is getting hammered in, and so on.

The "Average" PS2 player hovers around 2.something to 3.something average K/D most of the time. Death is inevitable no matter how good you are but these are the levels I see most decent-to-good players at. Myself I average a 2.6 K/D and have slowly and steadily built it up over the course of my play-time. It's not more than a few months ago that I was around 2.3 and about a year ago when I was only emerging out of my initial "noob stage" that I started to actually build my K/D up from a miserable 0.whatever as a result of my initial play time.

Anything above 4.1 is usually farmer-territory, the kind of player that knows the game good enough to know when and where to go to get the most kills for the least deaths. I tend to consider the kind of player that's only interested in padding their K/D as a worthless waste - after all what good does it do the overall picture and everyone else that this person only sits in the corner building up the stats? As a team-oriented player who care for the overall picture and my team's success I will however one day reach that level - it is inevitable so long as you kill 2-4 enemies for every death you take on average, and the longer you play the better you get and meanwhile, you will maintain your skills and know-how to not really dip below a specific level. Inevitably you will eventually hit this grade yourself.

Anyone above 7-8.1 K/D is, at this point, almost guaranteed to be either A) someone that is very, very good at farming and plays this game way, WAY more than can be considered healthy, or B) an out-right cheater. This is because even to the best players, good kill-streaks are few and far between, and in between them is your "average" game-play. You get a few kills, you get killed yourself, you get a few more kills, die, get one kill, die 3-4 times in a row in a critical situation, get a few more kills etc.

---

Suffice to say any moderately active players learn the specifics of PS2's game-play soon enough, and unless you quit in rage because you refuse to learn from your mistakes, ask questions of those who have played longer than you and keep improving your abilities and utilizing your brain, you will improve and soon come to the point where you kill far more than you die. At that point you start building up your K/D and, after a while, you will have reached 1.1 and broken even. That's when the K/D starts climbing in your favor and you can say to yourself that you are no longer a noob.

Unless they quit, everyone get's there eventually. If you have not already, I'd suggest to you that you go find yourself a good outfit. By "Good" I mean one that really organizes their numbers and at least try to use their brains and not just their numbers, as well as those that help you get better with advice, training and any help players in the outfit need. If you are in a big outfit that hardly ever do any of these things and you don't feel like your getting any progress at all, or there is hardly any organization or attempts at organization, then congratulations - you are in a zerg-fit. You may want to leave ASAP, hopefully for another outfit that's better than the one you leave.

- FocusLight
    • Up x 1
  17. Pyrode

Hehe i suicide as standard that 10 seconds, plus there's like 15 seconds of waiting (cause your "stop killing yourself" screen doesn't seem to count towards the timer) is just too long for me to tolerate.

Also i'm kinda annoyed that my k/d stays above 1, i do try to die more often but i'm just too careful...
  18. Posse

lolwut
  19. AFK1

You aren't going to have a negative KDR solely due to suicide bombing sunderers, unless that is literally 100% exclusively what you do in this game
  20. sucoon

the K/D isn't meanless. a high K/D with low base capture/defending points shows, that you are a K/D ****** with no interessts in supporting your faction or object orientated playstyle. than you are a spawncamperwarrior, stat-padder or an esf-la-redeploy-*****.

so fight like a man and die like a man.