Pay2Anni-lock

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by phungus420, Feb 10, 2013.

1. LameFox

You remind me of those people who do exaggerated impressions of things they don't like as though it makes some sort of point, while speaking in such an annoying voice that even if you agree with them in principle you end up wanting to bludgeon them to death with a frying pan.
    • Up x 2
  2. exLupo

Due to the combined popularity of the weapon and the HA class, getting a large group of people "working in tandem" to pull out the weapon and point it at something isn't that hard. To the point where I'd say there is no "getting" involved, it just happens on its own. Kinda like how everyone pulls out their primary weapon and shoots other players with it.

It was glorious watching the sheer amount of missiles flying at everything that approached any mass of bodies today. Total MMM boner. It was like the zerg had turned into a living swarm launcher.
  3. Rhumald

But this is exactly what I'm getting at, you could not have been hit by the annihilator without it having glitched through things at that distance, it's flight mechanic simply doesn't allow it: the Annhilator doesn't follow where you were, it travels straight towards where it thinks you will be when it gets to you, actively re-calculating that trajectory, instead of following you like a lost puppy, as the other launchers do, so if you turn towards a bit of terrain, or generally fly low, there's at least a 90% chance it will hit something else, even if it was launched from directly beneath you as you flew over head, unlike the other lock on missiles which due to their lost puppy like mechanic, of "just follow it" will become better at hitting you the closer they come to you...

Stop calling Nerfs for the one launcher that isn't actually giving you the trouble you're having with the other launchers.

I've seen videos of that, most of them are using the other lock on launchers, or just dumb-fire ones, you can tell which are the annihilators because they suddenly move way off to one side, trying to move to where the target is going about 0.5 seconds after they're launched.
    • Up x 1
  4. Accuser

How about ESF and Liberators be less lethal and harder to take down? Right now air is using powerful weapons to farm small groups that don't have AA, but can't get within a hex of a big battle without dying to invisible lock-ons.

Don't worry, soon they'll sell pilots "wire guided" missiles that you can fire from 700m away.
    Having trouble with massive lock-ons you can't even see because of our crappy engine? Flak too strong for you to evade missiles close to the ground? Buy our new Phoenix A30 A2G Missile! You can stay out of range of those OP pesky Annihilators we sold everyone else and now actually participate in the battle! Just 1,000 certs or 700 station cash and you can be OP have a useful side-grade weapon that we'll nerf after every pilot buys it!
    • Up x 1
  5. Badgered

The problem with lock-on weapons in this game is that it creates a situation where certing into flares becomes a must-have. A player without flares is a smoldering pile of wreckage. This is the same problem SOE created for themselves with the current state of anti-vehicle mines (death frisbees). You must cert into mine guard or your vehicle is going to get insta-gibbed by a stack of invisible death frisbees.

The issue with air is that it is nearly impossible to hit aircraft with dumbfire missiles unless the pilots are overextending by hovering very low to the ground or are just plain stupid. Perhaps if we had player-guided rockets ala PS1 we'd be in better shape.

Anything that forces players to get a particular cert should be removed along with that cert. Hard counters like flares and mine guard will only hurt this game in the long run by killing diversity and relegating a myriad of certs to obscurity and uselessness.
    • Up x 2
  6. KAHR-Alpha

You know a good bunch of us don't use the annihilator but the G2A specific one, right? Nerf the annihilator all you want, you'll still go down to those.
    • Up x 1
  7. Draxo

All of this is 100% IRRELEVANT when you are invisible half way across the map and only have to wave the thing in a general direction to get locks. Also your missile and lock is invisible.

And even if by some godforsaken miracle a squad gets to you on your mountaintop (and you are ALSO anti infantry as well as anti air and anti ground and have cant kill me shields and the best anti infantry weapon type in the game) or atop your bio lab/base you can all respawn with a resource free 0 timer abuse weapon to be back invisibly camping and ruining 2/3 of the game in 10 seconds.
    • Up x 2
  8. HyperMatrix

Not sure why so much annihilator hate. I bought it day one, used it a few times, and didn't touch it. Pointless damage on it. If I want to kill aircraft, I use the anti-air lock on missiles. Not the air + vehicle annihilator which does less damage.
    • Up x 1
  9. GamerOS

Our people only use anhilators because there is no other effective Anti-anything from heavies that's long range.
    Both the faction dumbfire and Decimator have a to slow velocity and to much of an arc to be used at range, and not enough damage to allow missing at range.

Personally I hate the anhilator, no dumbfire and a the extra time to lock on frustrate me, but there is no alternative to engage armour and air at range.

There is so much hate because in large groups the Annihilator will wipe the floor with anything (any weapon would do that really), but it's done outside of the render range for the vehicles.
    It's basically a case of people annoyed at dying to a aim and click weapon that requires less precise aiming then other weapons...

Personally the only argument I got in favor of the vehicle owners is that smoke trails and missiles should be rendered at long ranges even if the heavy isn't.
  10. Fortress

This is WW2 in space, right?

[IMG]

Bam. AA that isn't boring as piss to use and actually requires this whole "aiming" thing that FPS games seem to revolve around.

Just replace the Sky-guard with a highly accurate heavy machine gun that has a blistering bullet velocity and you've got all the AA you need.
    • Up x 1
  11. Phyr

On the 3 different servers with 3 different factions that I played today there didn't seem to be any change to the vehicle zergs that rule the battle field. Uncrap your pants, it's fine.
    • Up x 1
  12. LoveJuices

Except the AA MAX is just as good if not better player for player. It costs res and has a cool down timer. It also demands the user actually aim for their kills. I hate going up against bursters because the moment one is pulled as long as he doesn't over extend that area is basically off limits. So please stop claiming you are all completely hapless to the flying deamons of the skies. It is just no one wants to actually have to think or aim. It is so much easier just to look in the general direction of the ESF or Lib and watch it take near unavoidable damage. Then you can go straight back to killing infantry. It promotes lazy team work and no division of labor. Just mass enough HA to liquify anything in the hex and you don't have to sacrifice anything to be safe from vehicle threats.

That is my peace on Infantry/Air but that is not the thread's purpose.

I want to know why a "sidegrade" allows the user to relinquish all need to aim AND given a massive range boost at the same time?
    • Up x 1
  13. Kurreah

Does anyone have the info about the launcher ranges? How much further can Annihilators fire than the other lock-ons?
  14. Goden

Yeah, Annihilators aren't just effective against aircraft, smar tass.
  15. GamerOS

But what about the solo air and tank pilots who will think about them? :eek:
  16. Phyr

They shouldn't try to fight the masses alone and expect to do any good.
    • Up x 1
  17. Fubbles

The range on Annihilators is just absurd and needs to be toned down. 500m range is a bit much when chances are what you are locking onto can't even render you. You can lock onto vehicles West of TI Alloys from the crown, zoning much?
  18. Neopopulas

You have to pay certs to get a lock-on launcher, and they aren't cheap. These are used to counter certs on aircraft, aircraft can they pay certs to counter their counter - the lock-on launchers - flares exist to counter the lockons, its certs canceling certs. I'm pretty sure thats the way its supposed to work.
  19. Otleaz

That just isn't good design. When you have team based gameplay, you don't want to encourage the zerg mentality anywhere. If you have a gun without proper limitations on range or accuracy like this, you encourage focus fire to the point of stupidity.

This "tank taking on the masses" is also part of the problem, since SOE was brilliant enough to make tanks practically exosuits, rather than crew operated war machines.

Really, this game is one of the least thought out ****storms I have ever seen.
  20. VexTheRaven

Because tanks can and do change direction at the drop of a hat, making the best aimed shots miss with no effort at all? Because it's actually really damn hard to get a good shot with an anni if you don't have high ground? Because tanks cost only resources and allow a single player to easily outperform a single heavy?

Tanks aren't god mode, get over it.
    • Up x 1