[BUG] Patch 2 = Huge FPS drop

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VanuZuma, Feb 2, 2013.

1. VanuZuma

Gotta admit I was so excited for this patch to hit, because like most of you I was looking forward to some nice changes and additions but most of all a performance increase. I used to get at least 65 fps at warpgate and a real consistent 30 to 35 fps in big battles. Now post patch im getting strange lag, frame stuttering, and probably 20 or less fps in big battles. This has basically broke my whole game play experience. It was better before SOE. Do something. Or maybe not since it seems to only make things worse when you "PATCH" things.
    • Up x 4
  2. Alkasirn

Have you tried deleting your UserOptions.ini file? Apparently that sometimes helps after a large patch.
    If that doesn't work I have no idea what to suggest :(
  3. Leer

Opposite for me I'm hitting 80+ at times now. On Connery we had a night fight at the crone this morning and I didn't get below 30 fps. Maybe if you bug it with your hardware/driver versions they can help.
  4. Eclipson

Some people got a slight increase, but many got a large decrease
  5. LordMondando

I'm having a lot of problems at the moment. Yes I've deleted my user options, refreshed my Ip yadada, assume I know what I'm doing.

However, for the first time I'm seeing fps in excess of 100 flying around amerish.

I'm also seeing single figures. My posts documenting it all are in the tech forum.

My conclusion is, there are performance increases at work, there are also some fairly large and fairly fupuses stealing new bugs in the render engine.

It sounds like they have a team in trying to fix it.
  6. Sulsa

I deleted "useroptions" and now I'm running smooth. I'm slowly adjusting my settings up to see what I can handle :)
    • Up x 1
  7. JP_Russell

Yeah, I'm having performance issues, too. It's actually rather unplayable at all times now. I always had performance issues with this game. Previously, I could get a framerate as high as 110 when nothing was going on and as low as in the 20's with everything on low, shadows turned off, and rendering quality cut down during large battles. Now, though, my framerate is about the same as it used to be, maybe consistently a little lower, but I get constant stuttering even with a good framerate. The game is essentially unplayable for me now. :/ So, no more PS2 for me until/unless they can do something about this.
    • Up x 2
  8. Alkasirn

Interesting. Pre-patch I would sometimes run into issues where I would be keeping a steady 25-35 fps for hours then just randomly drop to about 0.25 fps with the game recovering after a minute or two. Other times, mostly when 2 zergs met, I would run into stuttering issues where my framerate essentially went 5, 20, 5, 20, 5, 20, 5, 20, etc. each second.
    After reading various posts, it seems like something similar is happening to more people more often. In which case, I wonder if this current issue is actually an existing issue from before that seemed relatively harmless, but these optimizations have caused the bugs to grow out of control?
  9. Talizzar

I was getting better frame rate but the game was glitchy at times...ie lag spike feeling but the FPS was fine. There are some weird things going on.

I have no clue why the useroption.ini file would affect this unless they have added new variables.
  10. fish998

Seen quite a bit of stuttering around certain areas, but then there is a ton of people on.
  11. Alkasirn

Deleting UserOptions.ini only seems to help some people some of the time and only after some of the patches. I haven't gotten a chance to play with the new patch yet, but deleting that file is my initial response if I end up thinking "Oh I'm getting framerate issues after this patch."
  12. MajorY

I am not at all tech oriented. But yesterday things ran great, all of my settings on high, and rarely had an issue. Today, the frame rates are in single digits in busy areas, horrible stuttering and lag. Ive reduced all my settings to medium, dropped resolution down a notch and no improvement.
    At this time the game is unplayable for me. A number of my guild mates experienced the same issues, and they dropped too. I will wait for a patch to fix this patch.
  13. pnkdth

Deleting useroptions did nothing for me. Still get the same drops in FPS and random stuttering.
  14. Bambolero

Unplayable for me, a slide show really + massive lag and constant hitching, annoying.
    Will try to delete the Ini.file and report back if it help any.

EDIT: Nope, it didnt help, still unplayable.
    • Up x 1
  15. HermitKing

Thanks to everyone who suggested deleting the Useroptions.ini file. I was having horrible stuttering problems... Now I can crank everything up to HIGH and have silky smooth frame rate (+60 fps).
  16. Sulsa

Update to me removing my UserOptions file.
    I still get horrid FPS drops. CRAP!
  17. f0d

im getting massive stuttering this patch

its weird actually since very early beta my performance has gone down mostly since every patch and now the things people were complaining about in beta (low fps/cpu limited/stutter) im am getting now after these "performance patches"

first thing i did was deleted useroptions.ini

my system
    i7 3820 @ 5Ghz
    16Gb 2000Mhz CL9 ram
    radeon 6970
    win7 64bit

and the performance display in the game says im cpu limited always LOL

edit incase the devs are watching: i was wrong and my fps is actually not bad but im getting horrible stuttering which make it seem like im getting low fps
  18. JohnnyMaverik

Yup, I'm on a mid range system (which for this game is low end I guess) and where as before I think the highest I ever saw my FPS go to was 60, I hit 65 today, and that was just 20 mins of play time with about 10 spent with the fps counter on, and just running around and fighting I seemed to be hitting 25 min, where as before I'd often to at 18-22 and sometimes drop as low as 15/16 in biodomes and tech plants etc...

However, the reason I turned the FPS counter on in the first place, is because I keep getting frame stuttering, it's fine, better than before and then down to 1-5 for a couple of seconds and then back up and fine again, got progressively worse for no immediately identifiable reason and in the end I gave up. Would rather be back to occasionally having to play at 15fps than this...
  19. kill

Definitely more hitching this patch. My FPS is a bit lower also. Seems like the memory leak has worsened also. I also think the draw distance has been lowered which is the opposite of what I would've expected.
  20. Mpain

Same here, I got as low as 2fps in big open space, so i checked the render distance in the ini and its at 1100 but it looks like the whole world is rendering regardless. Massive slideshow effect - trying to aim is near impossible.
    This is a fresh installed win7 64, 2.8 i7 with GTX 660 signature 3GB...