[BUG] Patch 2 = Huge FPS drop

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VanuZuma, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Iksniljiksul

There is a serious problem with memory usage in this game now. Looking at large groups of people results in large decreases in frame rates which did not occur before this patch. If I can't find a way to fix this issue the game has now become unplayable. What's worse is that I recently upgraded and am running a much more powerful video card, but there are no upgrade options for my CPU, I'm maxed out.

Sorry folks, I am not going to buy Intel products just to play one game. Get this engine working on more cores. High end AMD cpus are more then powerful enough to run this game.
  2. TheArchetype

What's your graphics card? AMDs seem to have a tough time running PS2. I'm downloading the patch now and I have an AMD.
  3. Skadi

its not just AMD's, a LARGE group op people are experiencing this.
  4. JP_Russell

FYI, you don't have to use the .ini to set render distance anymore as it's now a slider in-game (I've checked and it does correlate with the same variable in the .ini as we've been familiar with in the past). Goes from 1000 to 6000.
  5. TheArchetype

Well sh.!t.
  6. Eleo

The fps issue introduced by the patch has nothing to do with the game poorly exploiting hardware, right now there is a bottleneck that cause a frame to be exceedingly long to render by intermitance. I have a poor rig but my fps were smooth before the patch, around 30-40 fps in little skirmish and 20 fps in large battle, but now Im experiencing sudent drop to less than 5 fps, probably reaching zero for less than a second as the game seems get choppier, even when nobody is around and I have 60 fps, the game will eventualy freeze less than a second and get back at normal fps, and it will do that almost every three seconds, more or less.
  7. Soylent

I've not got any fps problems besides SOMETIMES it just likes to randomly spaz between 60-10 fps for a couple seconds.
  8. PresidentFreeman

Yeah this patch basically made the game unplayable for me, anywhere with any kind of ally or enemy presence and the game stutters like crazy, it is actually hard to move my view around let alone aiming.

Not to mention it will just drop to <20 whenever it feels like it, for seperate reasons I have yet to figure out.

This is all in my first 30 minutes of playing. Deleting ini and changing settings in-game made no difference.

Was hoping for optimization but they gave me the opposite.
  9. anaverageguy

My fps also dropped. Getting 20-30 fps in big fights prepatch, and now getting consistently below 20. Setting adjustments didn't help either. I'm sure it'll be addressed sooner or later. It seems to happen every time there's supposed to be some "performance improvement".
    • Up x 1
  10. Aerovoid

I've only played for a bit, but I noticed something strange. I was driving around in a tank and my fps were in the teens to low 20's. When I got out of the vehicle, my fps went up to the 30's - 40's. I got back in my tank and they dropped back down into the teens again. And when I get close to some action, forget about it, my fps get into the single digit numbers. So basically I can't use vehicles in battle.

I never had great fps to begin with and I've even lowered some of the graphics settings since the update, but so far performance seems worse overall. I'll play some more to see how it goes.
  11. Asan

/bump
    Fix the lag !
  12. Dalistro

I noticed I get fps drop when i do quick turns, it goes down really quick and then back up in less than a second. Changing the rendering distance helped. I now have it on 1000m instead of 6000m and its much smoother!
  13. xsellr8

Never had lag/low fps playing the game on full tilt graphics before the patch, now its basically unplayable frames drop in the 20's or less on low graphics in an open field with no one around. cpu never hits 20% use and only 40% of ram being used... and the vid card is more then enoughto handle it... very frustrated.... I hope this isn't like EA and battefield 2, when they took 4 months to fix the issue and killed the game due to the slow response. If the problem isn't obvious enough and a simple fix, the right thing should be just to roll back to before the patch, till the fps issues can be resolved.
  14. Arkha3

It is pretty unplayable after the patch now, other than strapping an annihilator and hope your lockon hits something. The constant freezing and jumping from 30 fps to 1 then back 30 makes regular aiming a nightmare.

Using an Nvidia 650 with Core 2 Duo
  15. VanuZuma

I still never see my CPU at more than maybe 60% and only about 40% ram usage. Im running a 660ti that I know is more than enough for this game. Like I said pre patch it was all gravy, now its just dry mashed potatoes chugging along at 25 fps most of the time. Thats unplayable for a shooter like this. I would be happy if I could get back to 40s or low 30s in big fights like before this patch!!!
  16. VanuZuma

Also I dont have the patience to wait another 3 months for soe to potentially fix something that may even make the experience worse yet again.
  17. Oheck

I'm experiencing the very same things, and I had buttery smooth performance beforehand. Here's a vid of some other weirdness i'm seeing..
  18. Stigler

I have been playing on Ultra settings with shadows 1, and max render and fov 74 at 1920x1080.

I never experienced as low an FPS even in the worst moments of Beta as I am experiencing now. I was just in a Prowler in a large battle and my FPS is dipping from the maxfps lock of 60 into the teens when I swing the turret. I rarely dropped into the 40's in large battles before this.

I have never had this low an FPS in PS2.

i7 2600k no oc
    GTX 570 HD 2.6GB no oc
    8 gb 1600 no oc
    Win 7 64bit (1100mb used on fresh boot, no background processes.)
    24" 1920x1080 maxfps60, vsync on, refresh 60, ultra settings but shadows 1, max distance, fov 74.

The ones with FPS boosts seem to be lower end vid and cpu's? from the responses on the server.
  19. Raazer

Same with me. Before the patch, my fps was always between around 30 and 60 regardless of the size of the battle, on ultra settings. Now if there's least bit of action my fps stutters at lows of 15 fps. I'm not even bothering playing.
  20. Kon

apparently its something with bursters