Ok, now I'm pissed off - Constant Crashing

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Dkamanus, May 25, 2013.

1. Nasher

Same here, the game just randomly crashes with no error. Been happening since the last big patch.
  2. BlackDove

This is true, but I am also one of those people who makes sure everything is as stable as possible, but this game is broken. I've crashed to desktop about ten times today, and it's in specific areas, doing specific things in the game, like using a terminal or redeploying. There's something obviously wrong with the game.
  3. RaZz0R

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying the game is perfect because we all know its not. Even SOE has said this.

What is getting me is this:

In my home we have 3 gaming PC's, of diffrent hardware - all running the same version of winblows - all playing PS2. (Actually all AMD CPU's, 2 with ATI video and mine with the Nvidia)
    But none of them are showing crashing like you guys are - same with my US outfit - they are not having these issues either. Other wise the TS server would be going off with people getting mad that its crashing all the time.

It might crash after 3 ~ 4 hours... or the 2 hour mark - but then its fine for another few hours.
    None of this crashing while going to a term, logging in etc etc - jsut the normal memory leak (Or what ever it is) every few hours... HOURS... I can play all day long and only have one or two CTD.

For you blackdove... what input devices are you using for gaming? could it be a gamepad or something the game doesn't like?

I remember when BF3 came out I couldn't have my nostromo pad connected as the game controls glitched out when it was connected. Had to unplug it everytime to play.

Either way - I hope it gets sorted coz its gotta sux.
  4. Games4fail

Sure. Our keyboards or mouses... I played with the same keyboard GU8/7/6 with no problems. And now? 5 min playing and "Planetside2.exe has stopped working". There are two possibilities. Either this game sucks like hell in performance or my PC sucks. But not just my... many!
  5. DistructMewau

This has happend to me since beta ended..Heck it was happening in beta too..
    I play for around 20 minutes...No lagging of fps drops
    And then randomly it decides to "Planetside2.exe has stopped working"
    Its really annoying me..
    Ive wanted to play this game for over 4 months now
  6. eatcow0

My cousin was in the same boat with the crashes. His OS was XP 32 bit, I run windows 7 64 bit and its relatively stable (only crashes bad if internet crashes). Once he made the switch to win 7 64 bit a week or so back he has not crashed since. It might be the OS your using.
    • Up x 1
  7. RaZz0R

Well it does sux like hell in the performance side of things - that is why new PC's with all the newest gear still have issues running it :)

No Xbox controller or anything else connected to the PC?
    USB devices?? printer perhaps?

IDK... seems to me that SOE support need to create a form for users to fill out to help with this issue.

Have all you guys actually logged a support case to get help from them?

all I can suggest is what many have typed here on the forums before:

• Check the page file is 1.5 X the amount of ram you have
    • make sure the page file size is set and not left up to windows to manage
    • make sure the hard drive where the page file is sitting has ample space
    • make sure the local "C" drive have ample space
    • make sure all mobo drivers are updated (South bridge, memory controllers, sata controllers, network cards, sound cards - using the makers CD or download site - NOT using MS \ windows default drivers)
    • Make sure the PC is clear of spyware or virus's
    • using msconfig.exe get rid of start up apps you dont need (Auto updates etc etc)
    • disable windows services you do not require
    • make sure the hardware is 100% ok any BSOD = a problem somewhere... either by OC or something else
    Crashing is so hard to place down to the issue.
    Common things like the newest Nvidia driver seemed to cause crashing alot - but rolling back is simple and works (For me atleast)
  8. RaZz0R

This is why if you are posting in this section I reckon you need to include PC spec's & version of windows and if you have service packs installed or not :) Coz the bloody thing runs pretty good for me and the other PC's in this house
  9. lorejore

i never crash...
  10. dreamcast87

I get the random crashes as well, play for a few minutes crash, play a few hours crash nothing I've tried worked so I just gave up. I play on ultra settings cause gonna get crashes anyway might as well have the game look pretty and crash than look ****** and crash. Don't bother contacting the devs or tech support they can't help either.
  11. The Loverator

I am currently experiencing a much, MUCH bigger "Issue",

i tried to log in with my old PC, since my new One ( Windows Cr**-8 be thanked ) has broken from alone again,

and TA~DAAAAAAAAAAA, i can't log in. It's like with "Steam". Stupid, sh***y Design.

" Nickname or/and Passwort " are wrong. While actually - THEY AREN'T!!! ; )

So, i tried to reset my Passwort via E-Mail. Guess what happened...

I get an ERROR WITH THE E-MAIL!!! It's "claimed" that this E-Mail doesn't exist! WTF????!!!!!!! >_>

I hope this Problem "solves itself" when i got my new PC to work again.

Otherwise - be ensured that i will FLOOD-SPAM THESE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have invested a Lot of Time "and" Money into this Game. Sure i will NOT let a stupid Error ruin my Account,

and get no Answers and Help when i try to get the Support to help me. G~ooosshh, this f***ing, damned Design
    of Planetside 2. It's made from a "horrible" Money-greedy Company, so i "CAN" expect that something "get's done"
    in Order to deserve me spending much of my Freetime and a nice Piece of Money for it, in the last half Year, right?
  12. Trignite

I have had constant crashes since GU7 sometimes i don't even make it out of the warpgate, because of this i haven't been able to play the game during the double xp weekend and the free month of premium.

I have tried so many things trying to get the game working refusing to believe devs would ignore a massive issue with the game update. It had to be something with my hardware or software, so i went ahead and did everything i could think of,

Rolling back to old Nvidia drivers (i tried 5 different ones)
    Changing all in game settings to off/low
    Uninstalling PS2 then cleaning the folders and completely re-downloading it on a 1mbps connection.
    Installing a fresh copy of win 7 x64 and PS2... again
    Using a neighbors wireless connection (wep lol)
    Stress testing my hardware
    Memtest

There is no way heaps of peoples hardware/software happened to mess up right after downloading the same update. There has to be a problem with the update even if it is only affecting certain hardware/software it doesn't mean that the hardware is faulty.

Specs:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition
    Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2 (good temps but i tried stock too)
    OCZ Vertex 3 128GB(windows and PS2) Newest firmware
    Corsair Domminator 16gb 1866
    Corsair AX760 80+ Platinum
    MSI X79A-GD65 New bios
    Asus Xonar Essence STX

Seriously you guys need to say you are working on fixing it and let us know that there is a problem with the game.

Oh, i forgot to mention my performance has been dropping since GU4:

Post GU4: 100fps
    Pre GU4: 80fps
    Pre GU6: 55fps
    Pre GU7: 40fps
    Pre GU9: 35fps

Really liking these optimizations :eek:

Windows relies on a lot of services even if their description/name sounds unrelated some programs need it to run. Disabling them won't stop crashes it willcause issues in other software if you aren't careful, if you do it properly though you can make windows use less resources. And when disabling startup programs you have to be careful not to stop drivers from loading. Still it wont help stop crashing and only free up more resources.

Stop posting
  13. Shmi

I really find it funny when people are saying it is our computer. Generally that argument it is true when the system requirements are too low. Period
    I also followed this crashing issue on the forums, quietly to gather more data. However:

Now I run a pc composed of something like this:
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    Intel i5 2500k Stock (so ppl can't complain about OC)
    8GB Corshair Vengeance
    EVGA GTX 570
    2x 128 GB SSD's
    Windows 7 Pro SP 1

I also swapped my Ram with another dual 8gb from kingston I have in my other pc.

Further info: Yes all drivers are up to date. I formated last saturday and MADE sure everything is up to date. Still crashing randomly, also tried different nvidia drivers, of course with your beloved cleaner hehe again to shut those ppl that are thinking after all that the <mouse is in fact the problem> for driver conflicts etc, you name it. I even did a memtest on both ram modules. I also kept an eye on the temps...faaaaaar from overheating, no issues there.
    Now this issue it is a carbon copy in therms of crashing just as Battlefield 3. Those 2 games are the only ones that are crashing in the EXACT same way. Play>game gone>Battlefield 3 has stopped working or Planetside 2 has stopped working.
    Despite people saying that the most crashes are occurring at terminals, entering/exiting the vehicles etc, does not apply to me. It happens completely at random situations times also at random play times. To make things worse I started playing about 2 weeks ago with 5 other friends. ALL of them are reporting the same problem except for one that has the lowest system req and still plays on a i7 paired with a radeon 4890 (!!!) which still crash, but once in 2-3 days considering he plays 2 hours in 2 days lol.
    Since the last major update those crashes have increased for all of us.
    Now, I do understand that probably most of us posting here are on the minority considering those thousands that haven't found the forums yet, but this does not mean it should be blamed on our pc. Normaly it is pc related when a driver crashes video/audio or some kernel fails, overheating or other things, but they are quite obvious. Pc shuts down, BSOD's, black screens etc. but a no warning "poof gone" piece of software without a warning sounds to me more like a game with major memory leaks. In the end Sony knows about this just as EA with battlefield. It is simply something they don't want time to invest in and fix it just as EA did with BF3. They never fixed it as of today. Issues like this are a headache to fix and generally they come with decreased performance, hence in software language "simplify the code for performance/playability at stability cost" (see how many dev's reply's on this threads and if they rarely do they come with a standard delete 1 zillion files, rather than an actual fix).
    Al tough It pisses me off, I try to get over it and you guys should too. Until Sony officially acknowledges the problem (I yet have to see a dev confirming they know about the crash issue) It means there is no fix underway.
    So boys and girls, happy crashing, nothing we can to about it. Just enjoy the game when you can:)

Cheers!!!!
  14. Shmi

Man, you have a point there I cannot disagree. But no offense we are talking about a game. A game!!!!. Those steps are going into the nerd area, which are going very far for the general user. Sure I've done it as well sometimes, but the general idea of any developer is to release a piece of software, install it and run it without any other major adjustments. I am not trying to attack you, I am just saying that probably 5% or the gamers and pc users in general are going into that. Try explaining that to a kid or a a grandpa...
    What you've posted above would mean that a Planetside 2 game should come with a 50 pages of how to's to install and play the game.

Even tough, I know the irony of all this:D
  15. Trignite

Those steps are ******** and won't help apart from the usual "update your drivers lol"
  16. LohaMoha

Try this: #33
  17. dreamcast87

havent tried this will give it a go and see what happens
  18. shane868

Hey SOE,

here is my experience related to random crashes (Planetside2.exe stopped working), playing PlanetSide2 for around 2 months now.

specs:
    AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8 GHz (stable!)
    8 GB DDR2 1066
    Nivida Geforce 660 GTX 2GB (GeForce 314.22/ 320.18 whql drivers and PhysX 09.12.1031 / 09.13.0325)
    Windows 7 x64 SP1 / IE9 / all hotfixes applied

1920x1080, usually ~ 40-60 FPS under normal conditions, ~15-20 in heavy fights

1. PhysX ON/OFF

Here I noticed that the chances the game crashes are much higher when turned ON, if OFF, I can play for some hours - if not one of the following occurs (#2 and #3)

Also while GU8 was live, after the first login, the game constantly crashed right after the end of loading screen (all continents), re-started the game, then it worked (more or less...)

2. Texture settings HIGH or ULTRA (either via INI or in-game since GU9)

When playing with texture settings on ULTRA (PhysX is turned OFF), again the chances the game crashes are much higher compared to playing with the HIGH setting, usually game crashes when the memory usage for Planetside2.exe hits 2,5 - 3 GB --- or #3 happens...

3. random crashes when deploying or accessing terminals or while doing random things ingame

If PhysX is turned OFF and the texture setting is set to HIGH, the game still crashes randomly, eg. when deploying or accessing terminals, during heavy fights, even when nothing happens on the screen, the game crashes. This happens right after logging into the game, in VR mode, while loading new continent, totaly random, after 5 mins or after a few hours fighting on different continents. But not so often compared to #1 / #2.

So all in all, while #1 and #2 seems to be reproduceable to me (PhysX seems to be broken, also with memory usage something is wrong) those random crashes noted in #3 are the worst, as there is nothing to see, what 'action' could force the crash, as it happens totally random, so this is hard to describe and to reproduce.

Maybe this helps a bit to see the trees in the wood :D
  19. RaZz0R

Yeah I guess you have a good point there.... but ffs - if someone hasn't set their page file... and they are low on HDD space... and the thing grows and fills up the drive - crash.... only fills the drive when page file fills it... needs an app to do that - intro PS2 = crash.

Blah - but you are right - can't teach everyone everything :p I give up trying to help - just a pitty some are having a bad time with it.
  20. RaZz0R

EG1: User has spyware on PC - find it auto loading in msconfig = pc more stable.

You have to think past what is there by standard and what is put there by a user - if they know it or not.