Official Striker Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat Cleburne

Not half as annoying as the phoenix.
  2. Jube

If you take away the lock on feature of the Striker and give it a different guidance system like laser or fly-by-wire you will in fact make it harder alot harder to hit moving objects like a aircraft and tanks. If you give it AP rockets with NO splash damage you will have a system that is useless against infantry. THIS is what I've been asking for, a rocket launcher that is skill based and fun to use not the piece of junk that the Striker is now.
    Your argument seems to be that these new launcher should have only one purpose but that is never going to be true no matter the "Design", it's the user that determines that.
    For instance last night I killed three Reavers with a Decimator launcher. Now it's a given that the pilots were nosing around low and slow looking for me but they died none the less. Was that the design for this launcher? Not even close but it's what I had to defend myself with and I used it.
    Lancers and Phoenix's are still capable of sniping infantry I've seen it dozens of times so they are dual role launchers the real difference is that they require skilled use to be effective in that role. I only ask that the Striker also require skilled use to be effective in it's roles.
  3. MaxDamage

STRIKERS:

Pros:
    Can potentially kill air and vehicles.
    Nice damage IF all shots land (rare).

Cons:
    Cannot kill base turrets.
    Require long duration lock-on.
    Lock on is broken immediately upon any person, vehicle, hill, tree or structure breaking line of sight.
    Have to remain exposed for duration of all shots.
    Can be countered with smoke or flares repeatedly.
    Aircraft can evade leading missiles simply by lowering their altitude.
    The only ESL that cannot be used on MAX units

PHOENIX:

Pros:
    Gives no lock on warning.
    Immune to flares.
    Solid damage.
    Can be used on infantry, MAXes, Vehicles (G+A), deployables and Turrets.
    Can be used for scouting unsafe areas.

Cons:
    None of note.

LANCERS:

Pros:
    Gives no lock on warning.
    Flares not an issue.
    Solid damage.
    Effective against MAXes (rapid fire makes them great for MAX destruction at any range), Vehicles (more ground than air), deployables and Turrets.
    Instant sniper style damage delivery, thus gives less warning than other ESLs.

Cons:
    None of note.

Universal cons:
    Bright faction specific particles/rockets show clear origin of launcher.
    From easiest to hardest to track: VS, TR, NC.

And there we have it.
  4. MikeyGeeMan

Tr here and an avid fan of the striker.

I love it. I've tried all 3, the most op one is the nc.

You can hit air and ground without having to lock on.

Lancers are nice, they immediately hit without waiting for a rocket to go.

I think they are quite balanced. Would like to have the ability to dim fire the striker though.
  5. ObsidianSoul

Yes and notice that I never told you I opposed that idea. In fact I love the idea of the Striker's lock-on being replaced by something else that requires skill.

LOL. I noticed that your list of pros for Phoenixes and Lancers include their capability of hitting things they were not supposed to be shooting at in the first place. Again, if you are one of those heavies who run around with a launcher shooting everything, then you're playing the game wrong.

I can shoot grass and trees and generators with my Lancer too. Is that an advantage? Not quite, when you realize how difficult it is to aim, how limited its ammo is, and how little damage it does. The only thing Lancers are good for are the things they were designed to kill. Namely vehicles. And solid damage? You can kill a tank in 2 hits. But only from the rear. Hit the front, and it takes all your ammo, and they'd see you way before that can happen. And good luck using it as a "sniper" LOL. The only thing you would hit at range is a vehicle with no driver.

And "can be countered by flares" is again not actually a disadvantage when you consider that the other two ESRLs are not used against aircraft at all. The few times they are, it's so difficult that when I get hit and die to phoenixes I actually blame myself for hovering too long and respect the skills of the guy who killed me.That's the same reaction I have if I get killed by dumbfire launchers.

And notice how most of your problems are because you have a lock-on weapon. And yet few of you are identifying it as the problem. Instead you want the ability to lock on more things, faster, easier, and make the rocket flight path more like other launchers. So why don't I exactly believe it when you cry about how bad the lock-on mechanics is?
  6. Chocki

Now for the ones you left out.

Striker:
    Pros:
    Highest damage if all 5 hit.
    No need to stay scoped or facing after lock and first launch.

Cons:
    Aircraft hugging the ground can use terrain to break lock or lose missles in chase. (Gasp! Just like every other lock on!)

Phoenix:
    Pros:
    (you can just erase all the "unaffected by flares smoke, no warning" it is not a lock on)

Cons:
    Leaves you in the open while guiding.
    Shortest range of any launcher. (park your tank at 320m and laugh)
    Slowest rocket speed. (any vehicle can out run it)
    Almost useless vs aircraft (the aircraft has to hover, or fly a straight line at you to hit it)
    Can be shot down.
    A single eng can repair faster then it can damage due to fire, guide, reload time.
    2+ missles to kill infantry, assuming they don't move, or heal.

Lancer:
    Pros:
    Seems you covered them all. Once again, erase the "unaffected by smoke....", it is not a lock on.

Cons:
    Long charge time for max damage.

I find it funny that you think the Phoenix is the most powerful. It is great at killing the stupid people that don't move after getting hit.
    • Up x 1
  7. Jackalmaster

Chocki, what do you mean by that?
  8. Chocki

I'm not sure if it was just a bug. But. Once you had lock, and pulled the trigger, you could release the right mouse button and start moving, and the 2nd through 5th rocket would still fire and track. I will see if I can find the video.

Edit: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...2R5PVV7sOMkwSlJeQ&sig2=V1FLzBXkXFAa7eQ8uK9x_Q

I'm on my phone, didn't watch the whole thing. But shortly in, you seem him stay scoped, and turn away from his target, and missles track. Same thing will happen if you unscope but hold fire.
  9. MaxDamage

Sorry but you can't just "erase" all the parts about lockon because this is precisely about comparisons people make when QQing about the striker. The downsides of its lockon system are very real and very relevant.

Nobody I know locks on with striker then runs in the other direction while firing, considering how little damage each rocket does, it's a bloody good idea to keep an eye on them. By no means does that "feature" merit place in a list of "pros".

You are incorrect about evading the lock on as air. It is not the same as "any other lockon", it leads the target, most lockon weapons follow and are thus harder to evade, aside from ideal circumstances.

The phoenix is more than a weapon, it's an empire unique drone feature. This is why it is arguably the most valuable.
    For damage purposes I'd rather have the lancer. The lancer is more useful in combat more often than any of the other launchers. Handy outside, can contribute to the death of any vehicle, and when you get inside, you've got a solid anti MAX weapon to boot. I believe Phoenix had dumbfire in PS1, not sure if it does in PS2. The number of times TR with strikers die to MAXes as a result of having no ranged counter must be significant.

When circumstances are just right, and only then, the striker can be a deadly weapon indeed, and very often the one that finishes off a retreating vehicle.
  10. Jube

Well in your defense I guess I shouldn't have directed that at you, sorry. (And what I'm about to say isn't)
    However read through this forum and you'll see literally dozens of people saying not to give it a different guidance system to "solve" the problem of so many aircraft being hit by rockets but instead nerf an already ****** rocket design. Yes! ****** rocket design. Made purposely ****** to "balance" it's damage.
    To me this launcher sucks BECAUSE it is a lock on launcher and when the system does the work for you IT"S NO FUN TO PLAY!

The pilots who complain about the "effectiveness" of this launcher don't seem to understand it's NOT one player who is shooting at you. It's many. When your flares don't seem to have any effect it's because you went from one HA's range into anothers and he fired at you as soon as he could lock on from his position too. In fact when you fire your flares and the first HA loses his "Lock" his launcher stops firing even if he tried to continue firing so he may only get one or two rockets off and they will not track.
    While the rockets are ****** if there are three or four guys using the launcher against you it is effective.

What I want to see is a launcher that is skill based, bottom line. I don't want to see it used for infantry spam like some fear, but should be able to destroy targets such as turrets (AV included) ground vehicles and aircraft if you are able to guide the rocket to make it hit them.
  11. Chocki

The striker being countered by flares (because it is a lock on), does not give a pro to the pheniox of "not affected by".

If we are going to use that logic, striker pro: don't have to guide it to the target.

Yes, the missles track by leading. This is a pro when used against high flying aircraft, and a con when used vs ground hugging esfs. I have yet completely evade a 5 missle striker launch by "aim at the ground". One or two will hit. I have used a moutain to break the lock, like everyone does with any lock on. No one mentions that it tracks based on where you will be, meaning pointing at the ground only works until you can't get any lower. If you are traveling nose down, using vert thrusters to gain that extra speed, they won't just crash into the ground. You need to actually make your projected flight path intersect with the ground. The problem here is, if you hold that path too long, you crash.
  12. Jube

If your above level ground and you dive hard for it you will evade the first,second and third rockets, the fourth and fifth will hit you. But it takes seven rockets to kill a full health ESF. So if you died it's because ( I can't believe I have to say this again) there was more than one Heavy Assault targeting you. More than likely there were four to five targeting you.

I'll use Indar as an example.
    You are a VS and are in the vicinity of Rust Mesa, and we have a HA at Palisade, MS Material and the Northwest spawn location of Rashu Bio lab but you don't know that. If you fly just a couple hundred meters in any of those directions you will get locked onto. So you start towards the Bio lab get locked on and fired at, you dive and pop you flares and turn North evading all five rockets. The Heavy at NS Material is locking on, fires and you are still running.(Not knowing that you are running from a second set of rockets)
    You turn West and fly past the tower at crimson bluff to try to evade those rockets and and succeed in making three hit the tower. Then the Heavy at the Palisade locks on and you have to eat a full spread of rockets and die.(Again not knowing that you were locked onto a third time)
    It all happened within the space of a few seconds and to you it is one event, but in reality it was three events.
    And the thing is these three HA's were in different squads and simply in the right place at the right time to kill you.
    Scenarios like what I just described happen all the time we just don't know the full story, just our part in it.

The heavy at Bio lab is mad because his rockets did absolutely nothing. The Heavy at MS Material is mad because most of his rockets hit the tower. The pilot is mad because those rockets are just OP. And the Heavy at the Palisade is wondering "Why is everyone ********, there's nothing wrong with this launcher."
  13. MetalGrave

does anyone still use the striker against anything other than zergs
  14. Chocki

Your example fails. If the esf used flares, and "this all happened within a few seconds", then the striker is acquiring lock during the flare no lock period.

The simple fact is, "diving to the ground" does not always work on a set of 5. Interceptor missles can suck at times compared to chase missles, but stop playing off "dive to the ground" as anything more then "use terrain". If you catch an aircraft at dog fighting altitude, he is eating 5 out of 7 needed to kill him (assume no flare). If he is near the ground, he has to use terrain just like every other lock on.
  15. Jube

You missed the entire point, ( Not really surprising)
    The point is that (assuming the pilots not an idiot) it takes more than one Heavy assault to kill a undamaged ESF.
    The rocket launcher being used is irrelevant. If a group of Heavy Assaults form a killing team with Annihilators the results will be the same.
    From the pilots point of view he can not tell that multiple launchers are being locked on to him, so he thinks the weapons used against him are OP.
    And btw there is no evasion tactic that works 100% of the time, if there were it would render the the weapon useless and the weapon would get a "Buff".
  16. TheRunDown

I opt for a Striker rename petition to name the Striker the Annihilator 2.0 or "TR's Shoots-Many Rockets, Rocket Launcher"
    or "Title: The Hurricane." With the "Discretion: Exciting at first but ends in disaster."

or Add dumb fire so we can use our ESLs like the rest of the da mn empires!.

Can't Shoot MAXs, Can't Shoot Close Range Tanks, Can't Shoot close range Flared or Kamikaze ESFs, Can't Shoot Turrets and Can't Snipe Infanty.

Don't get me wrong, it excel at camping on a hill with your outfit with 20+ of us.

Also Mountains and terrain are in league with NC and VS and are aiding them in battle! This Alliance is appalling and unfair to the TR!
  17. MetalGrave

not my vid just thought this is what the tr is looking for in the striker.

pass it on
  18. loleator

Lock ons are terribly UP.

Every single plane has flares. After podding they just afterburn past the terrain and you have 1000 certs wasted. It only gets kills on new players who use planes as transport.
  19. XParagonX

TR has two anti-air squads now.

They can go buster maxes, or strikers.

They need to be wire guided,like the av turret. Putting them on par with other launchers. That can hit inf and ground, and semi hit air.
    Right now TR ability to clear out the skies is too much, and needs to be toned down. Mossy hitbox is hard enough to deal with, trying dodging 15 strikers at the same time.

It's impossible to enter TR land without getting striker lockon now. Not to mention flare only stopping the first rocket sometimes.
  20. MetalGrave

can we at least get the clip closed if it's not gona be animated of feeding the rockets. not asking much since the devs are not gona listen to the people.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.