Official Phoenix Launcher Thread

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Hosp

I posted this in another thread, but now this thread reappears. :oops:

Since the official Phoenix Feedback thread is missing, I guess I'll post here.

Finally tried it out and I gotta say:
    For what it's not supposed to do (AI), it does very well. For what it's supposed to do (AV), it needs some work.

OHK infantry it is excelling at. But it's certainly not supposed to do that.

However, on flat terrain, a Lib on the ground 180m away, I turned up about 40-45 degrees to simulate a small hill, I couldn't turn it back down to hit the lib till my 3rd attempt. I just couldn't steer the thing. But part of that steering issue is also a result of being unable to control it for the first 50m. It's almost like a javelin where the first 50-100 feet or so, it's not guided until the main engine and guidance system takes over.(Just an analogy)

Damage wise, I tried it against Sundies, ESFs and a Magrider. ESF damage is a bit disappointing. MBT damage is also a bit disappointing solo, but with a team I can certainly see it as devastating.

Overall, the people crying OP are crying about it not in its intended role, while the people crying UP are crying about it not doing its intended job well.

My Suggestions:

Turning: Either, add 50m to makeup for the lack of initial maneuverability OR fix its turning radius so we can possibly hit something over terrain differences before running out of fuel.

Damage: Make Infantry be a 2HK, 3 HK vs shielded HA. Essentially 1 hit removes shields, next health. Except for HAs with their shield on. Then it's gotta break through 2 shields.
    Put up ESF damage so it's a 2HK instead of 2HK to burning, then a week and a day for the pilot to safely land and repair.
    Leave damage as is versus armor.

Bugs: I've heard but not experienced the latency issue with it passing through people. Certainly needs fixing. Also, I experienced the issue with the missile thinking it's to low to the ground and colliding. Makes it hard to go for rear hits from even a slight elevation as diving with it in the last second against a moving away vehicle may detonate it early rather than just hit the rear of it. Certainly not as good for side shots against lightnings.
  2. Tanelorn

(Obviously not unique ideas here)

1. Fuel / timer indicator to predict your limit

2. Switch to unguided "dumbfire" mode when fuel runs out, dont just make it disappear by magic. It will fall to the ground like a dumbfire.

3. Tighter turning so you can actually fire it from behind cover and hit moving targets.

4. Smoke trail to help enemies determine whats happening
  3. 7rounds

Well, we got a good anti-infantry rocket launcher.
  4. Phrygen

It really needs to not OHK infantry.

It is, as of now, significantly better than a sniper rifle.
  5. MykeMichail

LOL yeah pretty much this.
  6. MykeMichail

Its an anti-tank missile. If someone can score a direct hit against an infantry person, they should get a kill.

If anything, the Lancer should OHK infantry too.
  7. MykeMichail

Actually, it can't even keep up with a moving Liberator. Tested today.

And if you miss, you can just hit E to exit and it goes dumbfire. Unfortunately it still has a maximum flight time after you exit guidance.

This really needs to change.

If they want to give it such a short guidance range, make it go dumbfire after the guidance time is up.

If they want to keep it self destructing after the guidance range is up, increase its guidance range.

At least with making it go dumbfire, you might actually be able to extend its effective range out to about 500 m, and it would take a high level of skill to make the really long range shots (you basically have to line up your missile to put it on a collision course before the guidance time is up).

The ability to go dumbfire mid-flight is good at the moment because it means if you've already put it on a collision course you can exit guidance and load up your next shot before your first has hit, slightly increasing your DPS. But even with that, you're still limited by a pathetically short projectile TTL.
  8. Reventine

It also seems to be able to bypass spawn room shields at range. It looks like the old explosive exploit is back.
  9. Phrygen

its too easy to hit people with it. It should not ohk.
    And the fact that you think its an anti-tank missile just shows you don't know what it is best at.
  10. Mr T

You designed the rocket launcher so that it can't suddenly change direction at short range, yet the rocket itself has no range before it runs out of fuel, so we can't use it at long range? The damage is also laughable, I thought the NC were supposed to "hit hard"?
  11. Sinoby

I've used it quite a bit against infantry and vehicles. Personally, I had some fun with it, but I don't like the way the weapon is working.
    1. No real advantage against vehicles comparing with Decimator or lock-ons. Range is very short to be used against vehicles in vehicle-vs-vehicle battle. Really often such battle happens at range over 300m, wich makes this launcher completely useless, comparing to lock-ons. At cloe range Deci deals more damage. The only advantage - you can use it from behind a cover at ~200m to annoy enemy vehicles. The DPS is quite low and is easily outhealed by engineers.
    2. Pretty useless against Air. Range is very limiting, Libarators are just running away from the rocket. And if you hit ESFs - just takes a chunk of their health, so ESF just flies away. I don't see why even bother shooting ESfs with it, when I have lock-on with pretty much same damage.
    3. It is good against infantry. This came out as a shock for me. I expectd it to be a hard hitting anti-vehicle weapon, but it is mosy useful for snipinr infantry. Just find a nice place ~ 200m away from the base and start killing unsuspecting enemy players.

My overall feeling about it: Should be buffed against vehicles, more damage against air, higher range and some type of counter of distance left before termination. It needs a self-destruct button - so you can detonate the rocket for the small splash. The rocket should explode once it reaches the end of the travel range and not just despawn. LOWER THE DAMAGE against infantry, don't turn the game into all NC sitting behind the hill shooting some enemy soldiers from safety, while several guys will try to atack the base.
  12. HadesR

Not been able to properly test it yet , since seem's to be some issues on Connery with the Cam part .. Stupid thing just dumb fires.. But yeah they shouldn't be a OHK AP weapon .. Lower the Dmg Vs Inf by 50% make them 2 hit kill weapons
    • Up x 1
  13. slipnitz

just unlocked the NC15 Phoenix... but it only seems to fire dumbfire rockets...i didnt get the camera guided thingy ...is it me or is there a problem with the rocket launcher...

a thousand certs aint easy to gain...

hope there's a fix for it...
  14. Darlith

It will dumbfire if you are holding down fire and then try to scope. Though in my experience thats mostly if I accidently tap the scope key, if I press it down it fires and goes into cam mode.

If you scope then fire it goes cam mode everytime.
  15. Bape

IT not easy to hit with the fast velocity u cant control where it going. Also we only have 1 round 1/4 so your saying one round should not one shot an infantry? compared to striker having 5 rounds and lancer 6 rounds?
  16. HadesR

It seems to depend on the server .. Few issues with it not working on Connery ( would only dumb fire ) , tried it in the VR room on Mattherson and it worked ish ( 8/10 )

Lowering the FoV to 55 seemed to have fixed it for a few people

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/bug-phoenix-camera-guidance-not-working.107632/
  17. Bape

We have 1/4 rounds and ur saying it shouldn't one hit infantry? I really dont know what your smoking but if that happens they have to increase the rounds and ammo if it can't even 1 shot infantry NC is known for hard hitting why the hell would you want to take that standard away. Also im a HA player now and i love using dumbfire to 1 shot infantry who has a shotgun against my NC6.
    • Up x 1
  18. HadesR

I guess because it's supposed to be an AV weapon .. Not an AI one .. I can't comment on the VS but that's supposed to do minimal Dmg to infantry , The striker is lock on only and can't even target Infantry ...

I just think for what it is, asking it to also OHK inf is to much ..
    • Up x 1
  19. MuNrOe

The weapon is currently bugged for some people where it will not eneter camera mode and instead just dumb fires. The devs know about it and are working on a fix for it.
  20. Messaiga

I really do hope that the Pheonix gets a buff. I would like to see the following:
    • Increase range of Pheonix from 300 to 500 meters.
    • At the end of this range either make it go dumbfire so people can set a crash course for things outside of the guided range.
    • Tighten the turning radius, but not enough so that the rockets can either go over the walls at amp stations or just be able to shoot the rocket up and get it to hit something that is less than 100 meters in front of you.
    • Make ONLY direct hits kill an infantry target, splash damage should not be able to do this, it is all about precision. Although it is not meant for Anti Infantry purposes, I believe that because it is a Rocket Launcher able to pierce tank armor, that like every other rocket launcher direct hits should 1 shot kill infantry. I think most of this will be happening between 200-400 meters though.
    Hopefully this gets taken into consideration, because at the moment the Pheonix just is not what it is cut out to be. What is the pheonix supposed to be? From what I see in the description, I find it is supposed to be a camera guided missile that does high amounts of damage to armor on direct hits providing a accurate, high damage, anti tank solution.