Nvidia 337.50 Beta Release 4/7

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ToastmanPat, Apr 5, 2014.

1. ToastmanPat

A new driver is releasing on Monday. From what I understand, this is being called Nvidia's response to "Mantle." From what I have read, apparently this beta driver will bring significant performance increases across many titles.

Considering the performance issues with PS2 (crashing, black screen etc.) with the last few driver releases, it would be nice if people can post in this thread their experiences with this new driver. Are the prior issues resolved? New problems? Boost in performance? etc.

Here is a quick description from Nvidia: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/74735

Thanks
    • Up x 4
  2. khai

was hoping when I saw this that you had tested it and were going to tell us that everything was resolved.
    • Up x 1
  3. Octiceps

Performance won't change in this game if SOE won't optimize it and there 's nothing Nvidia can do about that. This new wonder driver has DX11 optimizations to reduce CPU overhead in some games which is what Mantle also does. Should improve FPS in CPU-bound games for systems with a strong GPU and weak CPU. It won't magically multi-thread a primarily single-threaded engine such as Forgelight.

Hopefully it'll fix the black screening from the last two drivers. I think that's what most players are concerned about.
  4. HotPepperDelivery

If this driver solve the black screen issue, I swear I will play this game all day if I want to instead of sticking 332 driver were I can ONLY play planetside 2 not other game such as Need for Speed Rivals or Battlefield 4.
  5. Dragam

Octiceps : Wrong.

The dx overhead on the cpu will be reduced dramatically across all titles, including dx9, which is evident with the skyrim and other dx9 titles improvements... meaning planetside 2 aswell.

Obviously it wont bring more multithreading, but its doing something far more important... reducing the load the driver puts on core 1.
    • Up x 1
  6. Octiceps

No it is you who are mistaken my friend. The documentation provided by Nvidia clearly indicates that this driver optimizes for DX11: http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidias_tba_dx11_will_be_better_than_mantle.html

Skyrim is the only DX9 game listed in the release notes and it was optimized because it's a very popular game.

But we shall see. Any improvement in DX9 games such as PS2 would be icing on the cake. ;)
    • Up x 2
  7. equinub

Both of you could be incorrect. Why because there not enough unbiased information about the driver yet. We'll need to wait until reviewers and ocn'ers have there say and judgement if this is nvidias version of amd 12.11 boost driver or mantle hype.

Nvidia has huge supercomputers which can virtually simulation any hardware specs from past to future. Analyzing code paths and driver functions for best game specific driver optimisations even without direct game developer involvement.

Remember nvidia the cake is a lie.
    • Up x 1
  8. Octiceps

Hey if it's anything like AMD's 12.11 driver I'd be ecstatic. That was probably the best driver AMD ever released, instant 10-30% boost in so many titles and snatched the price-to-performance crown away from Nvidia at every price point practically overnight.
    • Up x 2
  9. JeffBeefjaw

Desktop version will be here in around 10 hours, hope there are no black screen kernal crashes. Would be nice to have an up to date driver for every game I play and not forced to use 332.21 for everything.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/74838
  10. JeffBeefjaw

• Up x 1
  11. JeffBeefjaw

20 mins gameplay and no black screen kernel crashes, performance seems solid so far :)
    • Up x 2
  12. HotPepperDelivery

only 20 minutes gameplay that is not good test bro, next time try about 2 or 3 hours above.
  13. JeffBeefjaw

I posted mid game, the kernel crash usually happened within that amount of time. Also I was time limited but I'll accept your thanks for posting the driver link 8 hours before the official release. Anyone have any constructive feedback for this driver yet?
    • Up x 2
  14. ddraig

I used to get the black screen *at* the 20 minute mark ;p
  15. Bruno Puntz Jones

Happens to me very consistently on the map window, almost every time I bring it up. Black screen and driver restart every time I open it. If this driver fixes that, it's good enough already.
  16. ddraig

hey the driver listed is a notebok driver - does this matter if I have a desktop GPU?
  17. JeffBeefjaw

• Up x 3
  18. JeffBeefjaw

• Up x 2
  19. Gleerok

Well, I will try that out. I was getting black screen lags twice or trice around gameplay time, visibly from the driver (I'm using latest non-beta). Although playable, it was an annoyance.

I hope this gives some performance GPU-side too, who knows ? :D. Information is scarce around the internet yet, so I'll go see for myself.
  20. roror

I got a black screen freeze this morning with these drivers :(