Nano-Weave Armor is bad for this game.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BuzzCutPsycho, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Fortress

It doesn't always, but sniper protection is really the only reason to invest in the cert, and seriously - **** snipers.
  2. TehGuy

Hell, I find the HA's NMG a better defense for grenades.. Nanoweave has only really served to save me from those damned snipers
    (and maybe last all of 0.5 seconds longer in mid/close-range firefights).

And I had the misfortune of dumping 3/4 levels in there cause I remembered it fondly from beta :I
  3. PersonalRiot

This whole thread is stupid. It is a one bullet upgrade far less useful than other upgrades.
  4. Tenebrae Aeterna

...everyone has access to it, you're saying that just because you want to invest certifications elsewhere that it shouldn't be available to those willing to invest in it?
  5. Hibbe

It has no significant value in combat, the winner will be the one who is most accurate, 2 ordinary bullets make no difference.
  6. BuzzCutPsycho

Makes a big difference in TTK. I use it all the time. It's a no brainer because there is no downside to 25% HP and nobody in this thread has actually told me what the downside to Nanoweave is because there isn't one.

Trying to defend it by saying "OH NO IT'S JUST 2 BULLETS" is laughable. It's still 25% more HP that a brand new player doesn't get. It's a flat 25% increase in health over somebody who doesn't have it and that goes against the grain of how they said they would be doing modification and side-grades.
  7. DeadlyShoe

Dear OP,

You do realize it doesn't increase your shield strength. Only your HP. Thus you are 12.5% tougher at best and something like 5% 'better' because your strength comes from both your damage and your hp. Mostly your damage in a shooter like this, really.

Flak armor resists shield damage, thus it is twice as good against explosions compared to nanoweave. Even better than that for anyone but the medic because shield damage is relatively easy to regenerate.

Advanced shields is poop at 1 cert point but really good when you pump it up, it gets you right back into combat and sustained HP is usually more important outside CQC.

Utility pouch & grenade pouch & such are obviously offensive/utility upgades that you sacrifice defense for. Holding more grenades can be situationally way more useful and we all know it.

Nanoweave is basically for crazy *** frontal assaults and thats it.
  8. BuzzCutPsycho

So basically Nanoweave works in every situation and the others are situational? Gotcha, I'll stick with the obvious upgrade which has no downside that's known as nanoweave.
  9. DeadlyShoe

They're all pure upgrades.

Your invulnerability to math, evidence, and logic is impressive.

If you think it's so great just keep using it. No skin off anyones back.
    • Up x 5
  10. Fortress

To be clear, one bullet definitely matters. In situations where I'm going up against a small group of players who as good or better than I am, I will definitely take the nanoweave. However, as the fights get larger, the other options become much more attractive and to suggest that extra clips, grenade protection, and increased recharge speeds are all useless is to ignore the game's scale and how that scale can manifest itself in tens of grenades thrown or throngs of baddies charging at you one after the other.
  11. Tenebrae Aeterna

Ammunition Belt - No Down Side
    Flak Armor - No Down Side
    Advanced Shield Capacitor - No Down Side
    Grenade Bandolier - No Down Side

...there's no downside to anything of that nature, there wasn't meant to be.
    • Up x 2
  12. BuzzCutPsycho

The downside is that you have 25% less HP. That's something that's actually important and can determine the outcome of a battle.
  13. Tarrick

25% increase to hp but not shield, so only a 12.5% increase in effective health, which is only 1 bullet difference. I'll stick with something else.
    • Up x 1
  14. Tenebrae Aeterna

By that logic,

The downside to having Nano-Weave Armor is:
    -Less ammunition.
    -Increased shield recharge delay.
    -reduced granades
    etc...etc...etc.

So there, by your logic we have given a downside for the Nano-Weave Armor
    • Up x 3
  15. PersonalRiot

People have already typed in response to all of your arguments. It isn't 25%, if you read the thread you would know that. Right now, you are just proving yourself to not only typing the same useless garbage over and over but are fighting a losing battle due to your own stupidity.
  16. Littleman

You can spend the one cert point to get nanoweave, and outside of extreme situations, it's effectively the same as having spent enough certs to max it out. +10% hp is enough to take an extra round. +25% hp does not push the pool into 2 extra rounds except at extreme ranges where damage fall off is sufficient enough one would be wasting their ammo trying against a target without nanoweave.

You see the 25% and freak out, when regardless of being tier 1's (1 cert point) 10% or the final tier at 25%, it's still just one bullet. The real tragedy here is people spending past the SINGLE, ONE cert point required to get it expecting anything more than surviving the rather situational sniper round to the skull. Newbs are not at a disadvantage, they can get it just face planting into the dirt on their first hot drop.
  17. r.Tek

For everyone saying "Oh it only allows you to take like 1 or 2 more bullets".

Why wouldn't I take that additional 25% HP boost over garbage like additional grenades or ammunition? The only other options I have as a Medic are Flak Armor(A situational "sidegrade") and a Shield Capacitor which is probably the only other sidegrade I could make a case for.
  18. Thr33

This guy is trolling, wtf are you doing in this thread?

Albeit I cannot resist myself, the nanoweave armour is probably just as, or even more situational as most other certs. There is a ton of situations where it doesn't apply at all, when you die from being in the wrong place, overkill, reloading next to someone, duck down and not having shield recharge in time, explosions where flak would save you and nanoweave didn't. I mean, the only situation, and this is the only one where it actually matters, is when someone deals 1000-1124 dmg to you. Or in a heavy with resistshield 1000-1250 dmg. This is the only occurance, where you with nanoweave survive 1 hit away from death and manage to accomplish something for your team. Granted this does happen but that's why it's a certed Upgrade. None of the certed things are "Sidegrades" towards vanilla, just unto eachother. Then again, it's a teamgame, I know that for me the times I realise an extra rocket or grenade, or faster shields, or flak armour or any of the other upgrades would help sure outnumber those times I think. "Dangit, if only I could survive 1 more hit!"

Still think he's just trolling... Another theory could be OP invested 1500 certs to find out that 1 cert does the exact same thing.. And it's not even that good. So mad... so mad.
  19. sladuog

Didn't Higby say some time ago that a long term player would maximally be about 20% more powerful than a new player?

Seem to remember that figure being bandied about.

I don't have an opinion on nanoweave really, Perhaps you could ask the devs to release some information on anonymous players who use nanoweave, other suit loadouts, etc. and graph it to see if there are any glaring problems.
  20. Littleman

Why would you waste the certs? Explain that? I've been trying to tell you, spending 1 cert point to get the 10% will allow you to take 1 extra bullet. 25% will not give you another extra round of life in a CQC situation. It's still jsut one bullet. So explain to me, how is it so unbalancing towards newbs that...

A. 10% is just one round, and 25% is still just one round.

B. It costs 1 cert point to get the 10% boost.

At what point in that cert line is it out of reach of the new player to obtain the even footing for this "undisputably best" lifespan buff? Instead of remaining vastly ignorant of hard numbers, trying coming up with a real argument, kk? You all keep asking the same question, despite the numbers being provided, only lending to your decreasing credibility in the subject of balance.