MSW-R vs. Orion VS54

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by BobSanders123, Dec 18, 2014.

1. I play by many names

I prefer the MSW myself. I like the faster reload and I get hot whenever SPA is an option. I never really cared about .75 ADS myself, but I am a weirdo in that regard. Heck, I prefer the battle rifle, the Pulsar and the Polaris over the Orion.
  2. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Orion for 0.75 ADS.
    And Betelgeuse once you get it. It's that good.
    Still hoping to one day get heatsinks as an upgrade.
    The MSW-R is as good as it gets for the TR, though.
    Maybe slightly better for hipfire than an Orion.
  3. Leivve

MSW-R is 1.0 since you hip fire with it, unless you are outside it's intended range.
  4. Schwak

lolwut
    • Up x 3
  5. Leivve

If you ADS with MSW-R you're using it wrong.
  6. Asveri

you wot
    • Up x 4
  7. LibertyRevolution

So then I take it you would disagree with my use of a forward grip on it also?
  8. Conflictt

Considering that you only have 48 kills with the MSW-R, I don't think you're in any position to make that claim.

While the MSW-R can be used hipfire, it's true strength lies in it's accuracy while aiming down sights and it's fire rate. Think of the MSW-R as the T1 Cycler's big brother.

Back on topic, i'd pick the Orion any day for the faster ADS speed. I recently Auraxium'd the NS-15 and very quickly it became my favorite LMG because of the speed and accuracy.

I don't think the developers fully understood how important ADS speed is when they balanced all the weapons, they might not even realize it now. There's a reason most of the outfits you see winning tournaments and skirmishes are VS. Not to say that the sky is falling and Vanu are grossly overpowered, there are quite a few non .75 lmgs that cut it close. The Anchor, MSW-R ect.
    • Up x 1
  9. player16

last time they made a balance pass if i do not remember wrong all the guns that where the same got the same adjustments, this time orion has 0,2 horizontal while msw-r has a higher one, I understand that is vanu's starting gun so more vanus will be using it, but even then to good it looks on stats for costing nothing. It had 0,75 ads msw-r at least while i was using it now the wiki says it does not, missed some patch notes. last time they made balance pass they adjusted all the guns that where equivalents the same.
  10. ATRA_Wampa-One

Actually, the Orion has a min 0.2 and a max 0.225 horizontal recoil along with not favoring any direction and having a 0.9 horizontal tolerance compared to the MSR-W's which has a right biased recoil pattern, 0.225 max/min horizontal recoil, and only a 0.55 horizontal tolerance.

That being said, something like giving the MSR-W either the same max/min horizontal recoil as the Orion or even making it a balanced 0.02 max/min horizontal recoil I think would put it very much on the same level as the Orion/Anchor.
    • Up x 3
  11. player16

I am not checking the wiky, what i meant is that last time they made a balance pass (2013) for the equivalents they modified all the stats altogether and left them the same but during subsequent modifications like the msw-r is not like the orion anymore is like the thanatos and the barrage they are the same technically, except i do not know why the barrage seams to jam...
  12. player16

after the nerfed the hip fire improvement of als it was a pain to auraxium at least they could give the msw-r same ads than the orion i would i use it again, i use the orion all the time with the vanu after reading the stats.
  13. pnkdth

Though when you consider that every BR1 is starting out with an Orion and Anchor is a 700SC/1000 cert weapon, it is not so strange the Anchor is ahead of the Orion. For every one Anchor users there are 5 Orion users. Most Anchor users will start out with some experience, and probably the certs to kit it out from the start, whereas the BR1 will start out with no certs, and is probably also a bit confused as to what's going on or what to do.

Same is true when you look at ARs and Carbines. The default options tend to at the low end of the stats. When you consider where the Orion is stats-wise despite being the default option you can probably see just how good of a weapon it weapon is.

As for TR LMGs I love my CARV, and use the Bull when I want something more accurate for mid range fighting. MSW-R is good, however, hipfire with LMGs tend to be a fairly terrible idea, and that's the only thing its got over the CARV. So I use the CARV.
    • Up x 1
  14. xMaxdamage

this.

imho there is no reason to give different ads speed multipliers, how much a gun is "light" and "mobile-friendly" should be measured by the hipfire CoF. the smaller the CoF, the more the gun will be hipfired.
  15. player16

i call it crap 9 (do not misunderstand me i had had runs with it of 9 to 10 kills with it but even then), the msw-r was an improvement over the crap, but after they nerfed the advanced laser sight it was just what i paid for a 100 cert gun (and after not having the als anymore i thought lets buy the forward grip like i planed to use the orion). after reading some of the stats i started to see them as two different weapons but they are the same and used to be the same (well with some variation). seriously after reading the stats of the orion before this post, I started to aim for the head even, so many head shots.
  16. Corvus Corax

I auraxed the MSW-r, mainly after I switched to SPA and laser sight. Use it in CQC, you can be someone competitive, and ADS for fringe mid range still gives you accuracy enough for headshots.
  17. Leondre

My performance with the Orion is much higher, so I have to give it to that. But in general I don't come close to what I can do with the Orion with any other gun.
    • Up x 1
  18. Maxor

Orion for CQC, MSW-R for any beyond 20m.
  19. MasterTater

===

Thanks for the summary - you forgot about the Orion nerf patch by which the

* Orion Bloom got increased while moving.

=> Every call of nerf Orion = Nerf MSW-R
  20. Littleman

MSW-R is a really heavy Trac-5 with an extended magazine. Either laser or fore-grip works on it, though because of its recoil bias, some would argue the fore-grip can be compensated for with skill where as the Orion's recoil can not.

However, the Orion (laser) can nearly match the CoF of the MSW-R (adv. laser) making them nearly equal in a hipfire contest. Med range (just outside of hip-fire but well within 3.4x comfort,) the Orion trumps because of the ADS speed. Long range, the MSW-R breaks the TR mindset of sub-par pre-attachment/above-par post-attachment weapons and can work reliably over fair distances without a fore-grip, unlike the Orion.

Of course, being heavies whom are prone to popping their shields, it's arguable if these movement speeds really matter at all...

Also, if ALL one is using the MSW-R for is hipfire, they're using the wrong gun, period. The Armistice and shotguns are the CQC hipfire kings in the TR arsenal. At that point, my Carv 9 works as a hipfire monster (it kinda does actually, but it REALLY needs that fore-grip so...)