Mortars for engineers?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Lafayette, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Ghoest

Pretty much every attack in the game(except grenades) relies on LOS existing between that attacker and target - im guessing its an anti-hack measure.

I dont see thias idea happening at all.
  2. Ghostfox

HA's also have a special ability above the ability to use rocket launchers.

The morter, however, would replace our 'special ability', the mana turret. So why should we be dependent upon infantry resources to use our 'special ability'?
  3. Darthbob509

You can still equip a utility as ammo, doesnt have to be the mana turret.

Heavy has the ability to use the shield and the rocket launcher, anyhow the heavy's rocket is a tertiary weapon, not an ability. The heavy can equip c4, rockets and has the ability.

Whereas engineer has the turret/ammo ability, the utility ammo pack, and no tertiary. Unless they remove the utility ammo pack so the engineer needs the use the mana turret alt fire for ammo, it would be too op. Therefore if the mortars arent spamable and cost resources, they become much more important, and effective tools on the battlefield. If every engi with mortars would sit on ammo and spam fire on a location, then we would have a problem.

Also if they are restockable from ammo pack period, it would way too op. therefore if they are limited by resource costs, they are much more viable to be added to the game. Indirect fire will definately be powerfull, even moreso without any hard counters and infinte ammo.

Thats why they need to cost infantry resources.
  4. Grrrumpy

Brilliant idea. Encourages teamwork and will reduce the mortar spam.

/support
  5. Boomschtick

Nice, make the Inf marker gun have an alt ability where it "laser designates" a target area for a mortar team. I'd be down for conscripting some poor sap of an Inf to be my spot *****. As long as he gets an xp share also. lol
  6. Calahagus

Oh god yes please.
  7. Ghostfox

I think you and me are talking about two different things.

The suggestion I was talking about was the person who said that mortar ammo should cost infantry resources.

My response was to ask how this was any different than an HA not having to spend infantry resources for rocket launcher ammo.

Whether or not mortars ammo should be reloadable via engineer's ammo packs is a completely separate issue than what I was talking about.
  8. aRtFuL

It is much harder to aimbot a weapon that requires trajectory and have a slow travel speed than a rifle or pistol.

You cannot calculate people changing direction of movement after they see a shell launched in the air. Those projectiles are not guided.

That's why you don't see people hacking tanks or grenade launching devices. There is really no point. That's why most hacks you see are infantry related lameness, not vehicles.
  9. LittleDi

well darn, low and behold someone else thinks this is a good idea also.
  10. Moumoulle

Why not but:

- it will be very difficult to touch ( no like Bf3 i fire on the red spot with the map ) a minimun of skill
    - the munition cost resource ( to avoid camp base) 10= 1 shells so 750=75
    - choice between the TowerGun or the mortar
    - impossible to deploy near an other mortar to avoid camp ( like the sunderer)
    - 2 or 3 shots to kill ( immagine 5 mortar fire on the sunderer ... Breaking game)
    - explosive dammage againts mortar increased

Edit: sorry for my grammar ****, i m french
  11. Falanin

I keep seeing in my head the image of an engi getting a lucky kill on a hovering liberator, and every bad thing that could happen falls by the wayside. It's just too good of a thought.
  12. Radian12

Ok so i would like to refine my Mortar thoughts:

Name: Light Mortar Pack
    1 Amunition types:
    Smoke rounds (3-5m widh and 2 m high :D creating big smoke screans for infatry to overcome distances between )
    Emp rounds (3m radius, disables shields, jams vehicle weapons , terminal and stuff .....but ! this would need tuning so it would not be really op )
    Explosive rounds (1,5m radius with the round doing 1/3 health damage and the damage decay by 30% every 0.5m)
    Each of these would cost 10 infantry resources and you could carry 20 rounds (open to debate on this matter )

I would definitely discard HE rounds for the sake of gameplay. We have already enought of heavy duty AI damage.

2 Deployment:
    Deploy time and time for gathering of Mortar equpment 5 secons (ve can talk about the balance of the deployment time )
    When deployed engineer is static but still can turn 360 degrees . (sorry but view restriction of this not need since you are sniper bait)
    5m deployment restriction for other mortars .
    replaces the Turret
    certable stealth and cammo net just to be less of a sitting duck.

3. Fire mechanic.
    Angle range of the mortar 90-45 angle no more .
    Requirement for minimal fire cieling . 15m hight for 45 degree firering angle , obviously the 90 degree angle a higher one .
    Reload time 2secons (with limited ammo and a milions of restriction you should have some benefit)
    Range 100-200m (i am very torn about this i really would need suggestions , since you make self such a target )

Gun sight:Just a bar with 45-90 degrees .

Conclusion:
    +
    -infantry support artilery with variable amonution types usable against infantry and vehicles
    -disabling and damaging enemy by indirect fire from safr spots.
    -requires spoters to confirm impact on spot and promotes team work
    -is effitient in skilled hands of plyers that know the enormous arch but is not game breaking op weapon .

-
    -long deploy time
    -limited ammo refilable
    -something different for engineer to play
    -vulnarable almost agaist everything
    - when spoted the easiest sniper bait in the world
    • Up x 1
  13. Harkmagic

Personally, I would prefer mortars to have very long range, like 1km at a 45 degree angle. For targeting the player gets a readout of roughly how far the round will travel and a very precise measure of direction. That gives the engineer the ability to made adjustments based on his spotters observations. The mortar should should gets its ammo resupplied the same way vehicles. The ammo resupply plus long range makes it possible for the engineer to hang out in a base and play defender there and still participate in the major battle. Anti-Infantry, Anti-Tank rounds, Smoke Rounds, Illumination rounds that float slowly to the ground, and IR illumination rounds that make everything under their area of effect visible to night vision. People can hear the round as it goes through the air and more importantly the closer you are to the target impact area the louder the incoming round will be giving warning to get the heck out of there. If you are on the mortars line of fire you can hear it from fire to impact.
  14. Nakor

There are lots of ways that a mortar could be set up that would be a lot of fun, but a two man mortar (operator + spotter) would be awesome. +1 here.
  15. Blitzkrieg

No. Either put in proper artillery or not at all.
  16. shadowkhat

i would love that.. the only problem is how to aim them.... so many explosions going on your not going to be able to tell whats yours and whats others... if they would put a distance meter back in i mean hell its only 2013 and a simple laser range finder is in nearly every golfers golf bag... seems like knowing how far something is away from you shouldn't be an issue...

with a range finder aiming would be simple, have horizontal and vertical "click" adjustments each bar is so many meters... your not going to be accurate enough to take out a tank unles he drives it right into the fire, but would be perfect for suppresing fire in a base... the different rounds need to be more limited... maybe plasma ( from ps1 ) anti infantry, and EMP make the emp cost the most, but give it the ability to shut down a vehicle for a short period of time, and mess up the HUD of enemy soldiers in the blast. could have all kinds of useful "support" things with this.

i would say the mortar would need to use the ammo reload of the engineer, and the "ammo" types cost a certain number of certs and build different amounts of "heat" incindiary being the most, and emp next and smoke being the least...
  17. Jester7x

18. Skadi

Mortar Ace turret?
    Yes please.
  19. DarkerHalf

A mortar would be nice if certain other conditions are met in future patches.

First off, bases need to be more defensible. Right now there's no need for another siege type weapon because there are almost no drawn out fights where they could be used, barring biodomes where mortars would be impractical anyhow. Bases need more tools to make them harder to cap, not more tools that make defender's jobs harder.

Second, there would have to be a slight shift in Anti-Air. AA maxes are in a sweet spot right now, but fixed AA turrets, skyguards, and walker need a little love to make it easier to counter Liberator fleets. At the moment, there isn't any job a mortar could do that a direct fire liberator can't do better. If it became a situation where liberators were unavailable because defenders coordinated AA, then the mortar could become the weapon to fill that spot.

Third, the mortar needs to be directed by teammates. This game has a plethora of spammable single-man explosive weapons already.

I think under those circumstances I would be okay with a mortar.
  20. CBCronin

I like the idea and, considering we already have a round lobbing system in the bulldog and 40mm, don't think it would be that hard to implement.

The issue I do see is with ammo supply. If it was unlimited it would be op in defense, especially in places like the Crown (could simply place behind a building and spam infantry approaches). As a deployable asset, with a resource cost and set ammo supply, I think this could really work.