Mortars for engineers?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Lafayette, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Phebus

Mortars would be a great turret addition. A minimum elevation of 30 degrees or so and careful fire rate balancing could make them a useful addition to the game.
  2. Xocolatl

Are you insane enough to use turrets indoor?
    I know it's different when you have an actual squad/Outfit that will help protect your flank, but doing it solo/PUG is a death sentence.

Frankly, I would love a Mortar. But I can't quite see how it would be balanced. PS happens to be a pretty massive game, and you can have hundreds of people in a single fight. Now, if you have 50 Engies all plonking mortars at the enemy base...shudder.
    And as you say, it wouldn't work indoor.
    So where does it fit? Does it need an undeployable zone like Sundy? That would definitely lead to a lot of team kills.
  3. Ghostfox

I would much rather have a Thumper. Let me become a grenadier!
  4. Roland2TowerCame

5. Darthbob509

only if you need to buy mortar rounds with infantry resources
    • Up x 1
  6. Veri

This is a good idea.
  7. Lafayette

Agreed.
  8. Radian12

I would do that totaly, even if it was rubish :D just for the sake of mortaring randoms
    • Up x 1
  9. Ghostfox

Why? What's the difference between a morter and a HA rocket launcher?

It isn't like the engineer doesn't already have 6 other things to spend infantry resources on.
    • Up x 2
  10. Rothnang

I would dig mortars for engineers instead of the stupid Mana turret.
  11. Radian12

A mortar shoots at a great balistic angle . So example it would be able to shell area on the other side of the hill .

+
    infantry artilery support for very difficult places
    vehycle harasment

-
    reload time
    very sharp balistic angle
    static position
    reliatn on spoter to order specific spot shelling

conclusion : Very vulnerable and static deployed engineer weapon for in indirect AI/AV fire . Would you like to sit 100 bact listening to your squad and lobing mortar shells at position you cannot even see ?

Count me in :D
  12. Disorder

Have it so that you need an infiltrator to spot for you with a laser sight, until then you don't get any markers to shoot at and just can't randomly fire it.

Kind of like orbital strikes mechanism.
    • Up x 1
  13. Ghostfox

I should have worded that a little more clearly. My question about what the difference was.. was in regards to the fact that HA rockets don't cost infantry resources and the person I quoted said that they'd support morters only if it cost infantry resources per shot.
    • Up x 1
  14. EvadableMoxie

The purpose of the game is to enjoyable to play, not to emulate military reality. Military reality is not fun. Realism is never a good argument for or against any change in a game.

I primarily play engineer so I'd personally love to be stronger but I think he has a point. How would you stop spam from being out of control?
  15. Raizure

I'm completely for this. Gives infiltrators another use, especially if the rounds are traceable. Just implement it like in bf3 where the engineer has a map overlay on his screen, but can still see behind it. Let him fire at places on the map with a degree of accuracy, with only people who normally show up on radar popping up.
  16. Jokka

That would get quite expensive, I'm already having to balance my budget between mines and grenades. Mines are expensive for us to use. Just make it so that you can't resupply off of an ammo box, you need to be near a sunderer or a spawn room, kinda like grenades are atm.
  17. Darthbob509

They have ammunition packs. Thats why...
  18. Lafayette

But there's already spamming, it wouldn't make it any worse.
  19. EvadableMoxie

I'm not sure I agree. Grenade spam is fairly bad but still limited by infantry resources and the inability to supply from your own packs. Plus grenades are somewhat tricky to aim because of how extreme they tend to bounce.

Mortars are long range indirect fire and thus far more difficult to deal with than heavy assault missile launchers, which require a direct line of sight, have limited range and a low projective speed. Assuming you have 2-3 engineers with with best approaches into a base zeroed in for mortars, I'm not sure how attackers could be realistically expected to break that. You could bombard an area without ever having to open yourself up for counterattack.

I do think Engineers need a long range solution to enemy tanks, and I think an anti-air solution might be appropriate but I'm not sure mortars are the way to go. I don't think more explosions is what the game needs.
  20. ForTheTerranRepublic

I would LOVE to see a mortar added in to replace the turret slot.

Could have a lot of certs to be used on it also.

For aiming, I say it could be a combo of adjusting the mortar and guessing where it goes. Have a cert where you can save up for a firing computer device to be added to it - where it shows on your mini-map the general area where your projectile may strike.

Unlockable rounds could be standard HE. AT. Smoke. Scatter bomb.