Mortars for engineers?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Lafayette, Dec 22, 2012.

1. mcm

Would love to see this... but given the current "tactical" structure of most engagements I see... they'd either be completely ineffective, or more likely, you'd be weapon locked in 30 seconds by killing all the zergers who wouldn't listen.
  2. Viper279

true but i been reading this trying to figure out what a good way to implement it having enginy and a infiltrator work together is a great idea, i would agree to having different types anti infantry, anti armor and smoke make them cost resources but the problem is it would be spammed, if this would replace the mana turret i just wondering if there should be a cooldown timer so people dont run back to a sunderer or infantry point to automatic restock and relaunch another

i dont really like to post but this idea is really interesting
  3. steelslinga

i loved the artillery function in the old battlefield games where you had to have a sniper spot for you then you could switch to his camera view to fire on targets down range.. if this was in ps2 i would be all smiles.
  4. tritan67

I really want this really really really badly. I prefer indirect or non standard combat in shooters over run n gun or sniping.

For balancing factor make it so it costs 25 resources per shot. you could only lob 2-3 shots every minute Have to be very selective with your shots then. Could save up resources and burst your motors. Still would resupply without having to go back to base. I hate having to run back to get more ammo.
  5. Mellow Martian

Yes yes yes! But have to make sure the velocity is super low.
  6. tritan67

If the impact time was Say 7.5-15 seconds from firing the mortar it would be OK IMO. If the mortar had a large bright trail as well that could help with the balance of indirect fire(snipers could spot you and flank you) and just look cool.
    • Up x 2
  7. SarahM

Whining noise in the target area which grows louder as the shell approaches would add a certain psychological factor.

Non damaging shells like smoke and sensor would be interesting.
  8. tritan67

Yeah there could be a lot of utility behind this. I did not really think of that. But a squad having a mortar ready could help them out so much with utility.

Example being you have 2 engineer mortars laying down smoke and 2 squads moving in with thermal sights. Be fun simple tactic to do. Man that sounds cool.
  9. Metrack12

I woul like mortars,but under the condition that the user must be operating manually,or close to the mortar itself.Hell maybe even make ES version of mortars
  10. 0dineye

Everyone gets a NS mortor. TR get cluster rounds, VS emp and destroy eq. (So they can motor a building effectively) and the NC's would be bigger, much bigger
  11. Metrack12

Much bigger that shot shotguns lol
  12. 0dineye

I was thinking more like 'somewhat effective against vehicals' since the TR would have anti infantry already and VS would have anti equipment
  13. Drifan

Make it so that once the mortar is deployed, an infiltrator can interact with the mortar and gain a target designator. This effectively makes it like a multiplayer dynamic as we see in vehicles. This would require the infiltrator to have to link up with the deployed mortar, not efficient, but could be seen as balancing. Alternatively you could make it so that infiltrators in your squad could be selected on the squad screen and "synched" up.

When firing unaided, I would envision a holo-arc projection to show your trajectory (maybe coupled with a mini-map indicator for where the shot dropped. When operating in paired mode, the infiltrator would be lazing the target/target area, and the engineer's holo-arc display would show a red dot or some such marking the proper trajectory. Obviously stationary targets = very easy to hit, and moving targets would depend on the infiltrator's ability to accurately lead the designator.

You could fire blindly as an unaided engineer (for suppressing fire, or the "I got wildly lucky" shots) or you can rely on your teamed infiltrator for precision shots.
  14. doomedking517

Interesting though an issue, having a holo-arc could make it too easy to aim, make it so that you get a "previous shot trajectory" meaning they have to make adjustments on previously fired rounds (I'm not an eng but it seems more logical and it would work a bit like a tracer so not too much to code in besides making it last a little longer - well until the next shot).

when an infill gets the tool it actives a screen on the mortar which would contain a 100mx100m map (it wouldnt be active unless the infil is designating and he has to work of his previous shot and teammates/enemies screams of hatred). he would have to pan to get a 10m diameter circle where the infil is designating into the middle (which it would fire at). It wouldnt be anymore accurate as the mortar would have a landing spread of about 20m of initial shot location on 250m shots (increasing and decreasing based on distance). To make this more useful, the map would also show the previous shots landing point (but because it could be 20 meters in any direction they would have trouble making it more accurate based on previous shots)

This takes me onto my next addon, infils who are designating would have an incentive to maintain the designation as the mortar would adjust itself to land on that point (and it would take at least the shot getting halfway to be perfectly accurate). thus meaning large amounts of effort are required to make it useful but it should be highly rewarding if done right (hell maybe sync more than 1 mortar to a single locator so that you can get streams of mortar hitting a single point effectively locking a path, unless they can remove the infill which is designating).

Like i said though, im not much of an engineer and its probably a highly flawed thought.
  15. tritan67

This is a golden Idea right here IMO. Anything that involves this much teamwork will make game play fun for receiving and dishing out mortars. Even make the infiltrator have new meta and could do more of a Recon role.
  16. doomedking517

Definitely, can you imagine the dedicated stalker designators, individuals specializing in lighting up the most damaging spots behind enemy lines? and the opportunist long rangers who designate from a distance every now and then in between head shotting medics or hunting mortar engineers.

it would need a couple of things to weaken it though (besides its seriously hard aiming mechanics) say infils cant cloak while designating (just like we cant use a weapon cloaked), as it was stated above make the shalls get louder and louder before they hit (so that people have the chance to avoid being hit - alt ammo type with lesser sound but lower damage [low enough damage to make it entirely worthless against MBTs but enough to cause death if they are close to the landing point - stealth mortar *pulls evil grin*), engineers cant pull out their main weapon for 2 seconds after leaving their mortar (making them sitting ducks for hunters unless they are situationally aware and have prepared for being hunted).
  17. Targanwolf

I love the idea of mortars.
  18. Ehvolus

Mortars defiantly sound like they would be a lot of fun in the game just balance it with special mortar similar to how you have to buy different types of grenades ie revive grenades / sticky grenades etc make the player have to pay for the ammo and could be well implemented
  19. LaughingDead

So what would the stats be? Limited ammo? Count as turret? RPM? HE verses Ap rounds? Heat?
  20. tritan67

No idea what the stats would be. I think it would A be able to one shot group of infantry but be limited ammo or be very week but have enough damage to make them want to move.

Could do White phosphorus mortars that do damage over time in an area to make infantry move as well. that would be cool.