Mortars for engineers?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Lafayette, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Lafayette

So I posted a thread in the HA page about personal mortars being implemented in the game and I'd like to hear the thoughts of y'all engineers. I was thinking they'd come in incendiary, anti-infantry rounds or high explosive, anti-armor ones. They would replace turrets and complement a more aggressive engineer play-style. Thoughts?
    • Up x 14
  2. OldMaster80

Nice item that would bring something special to the gameplay. Mortars were totally missing in PS1 as well.
    That would be a nice alternative to the MANA Turrets.
  3. InducedApathy

I'd love to get a mortar sort of like what's in guild wars 2 engi (without the crappy range :p). Mortar can be like an m60 bulldog blast good on infantry but horrible for vehicles. It would be nice to see the cas30 buster as a deployable turret for engis as well. Tired of seeing heavy assaults everywhere I go.
  4. Grrrumpy

/sign
    would love to cert mortars... especially for attacking the Crown :)
    • Up x 1
  5. Lafayette

If this gets enough support, I'm down to start a petition :)
    • Up x 2
  6. Nathaniak

Agree with this. A mortar could replace the MANA turret, providing a bit of a tradeoff. It should be certable, unlocking different rounds, and maybe changing the type of mortar - e.g. a choice between high fire rate and weak shells or low fire rate and powerful shells. How would they be controlled, though? From a first-person perspective? From a top-down view? I would like to see mortars, especially an anti-armour mortar, in the game. As I primarily play engineer, I see no reason to give them to anybody else :).
  7. Tvayumat

This will probably never happen, since the entire community would start whining (LONG before it was implemented) that mortars are "noskill" or "noob" followed by a series of whinging, mewling noises.

I love the idea, myself. It takes skill and coordination to set up a mortar battery for area denial and then defend it, but people can't seem to understand that if you then run through the shelled area repeatedly and die, it's not the fault of the "noskill" mortarer lobbing shells, it's yours for being a situationally unaware lonewolfing goon.

Perhaps we will find a happy medium. I would like that.

TL;DR
    I love the idea. The community will cry about the very concept of it.
  8. Vedo

I'd LOVE this. I used to literally have a blast in Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory as a mortar guy . Switching it out with the turret would be fine with me. It would be really helpful for shelling high ground like towers and biolab landing pads =)
  9. LostX

No thanks there is too much explosive spam already from all the unlimited vehicles and aircrafts, to add even more with mortars, not to mention then most engis are going to camp with mortars trying to farm kills instead of repair and give ammo.
  10. RblDiver

I'd love a mortar system. Doubt it'd be put in, but I'd definitely shell out a few bucks for one!
  11. Lafayette

Cheap kills are a military reality, from sniping to tank fire. Adding mortars would simply give engineers a more diverse style of play and implement actual artillery in the game.
  12. Grrrumpy

I don't think so. I think it is a matter of demand and availability. If everyone farms there woll be a lot of xp for the repairing engieer and vice versa. It is simmilar to the Mana Turrets. If there are already 4 turrets aiming at the door, i will not add a fifth.
  13. Xocolatl

If you get a mortar, why would anyone bother with the SNIPEMEPLEASE turret?
  14. shkms

Maybe have a small monitor attached to the mortal which would show the map with rough area where your mortar is aimed at as well as spotted enemies. Also maybe have a drone which would be thrown in the air and then fly to a certain height and hover there stationary providing a top-down view for aiming. These drones would obviously be vulnerable to small arms fire.
    • Up x 1
  15. Lafayette

They're for defense and CQB.
  16. TheScapegoat

Instead of deployable mortars, a means of indirect artillery for Squad Leaders on a lengthy cooldown, Platoon should have access to an Orbital Strike. Expensive certed, lengthy cooldown means to dissuade the current armor/air zergs.
  17. InducedApathy

I remember the mortar spam in RTCW and ET :). If you knew the maps well enough you could setup and get to chucking. Good times.
  18. TheScapegoat

Yeap and it wasn't game breaking there, if you specialized in those roles and were effective you contributed.
  19. Timujingeo

Mortars would get my vote for engies, especillay while we're waiting for the Thumper to be introduced.... :D
  20. Grrrumpy

Are you going to use the mortar indoors? ;)