Mines are too powerful. Solution? Lower damage, increase number of mines to carry/deploy

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheLeader, Feb 13, 2013.

1. TheLeader

Thanks for the constructive feedback
  2. Cougarbrit

In the last half hour or so I've destroyed like 6 deployed VS sunderers. **** just does not get old. I'd make videos of this hilarity but I can't do **** like that with this rather crummy laptop I use.
  3. Bill Hicks

So basically forcing every engineer to farm more certs to do their job, and creating a infantry resource sinkhole, all the while making every inch of the battle field littered with mines, which will ironically make driving more dangerous.
  4. siiix

WHY IS THERE NO VOTE DOWN OPTION ?
    • Up x 1
  5. CaligoIllioneus

Destroying Sundys with mines is one of the most exciting pastimes of my engineer. Earlier today when the VS was defending Amerish, there was a Sundy behind a hill, and countless Vanu sitting on the hill shooting our troops. I managed to sneak around, run towards the Sundy from the other side, and no one saw me. It was awesome, I had closed my eyes with the fear that some Vanu may look behind them and see me running towards the Sunderer, but nope. I blew it up.

Funny enough, of all the Sundys I tried to blow up, only once I failed because it had mineguard. The other ones always went down in a blaze of glory, taking the gunners and sometimes the engineers trying to repair them with it as well.

Hm. Interesting word, that one. Mineguard. Mineguard. What may it mean? It sounds as if it may protect you from mines.
    • Up x 1
  6. TheLeader

Necessary perk => broken game
    • Up x 1
  7. ArcKnight

increase number of mines you can carry YES:)
    reduce the cost YES:D
    reduce the damage HELL NO:mad:

fully certed mineguard costs a total of 330certs, there is NO excuse for not having it on a sundy

I get a tone of satisfaction knowing that those suicide engies spent a lot of resources on those mines and it didn't pay off

mineguard is the ultimate anti-***** weapon/defense
  8. Chrattac

I am laughing when I am guarding my sunderer for suicide c4 -guys and some lone engi comes with two tank mines. The way mines work atm only fools run anything but mineguard on ams sunderers. I use them both to lay down on narrow points to get a couple of sweet extreme menace kills along with mbt kill and also suicide sunderers as it is the most effective way to deal with them due to sheer amount of people not running mineguard despite anything else going on in this game. If I manage to pull of a good sundy placing nothing can't one shot it as I am usually in that case also guarding and repairing it and leaving other people rush towards enemy like mindless chickens knowing I am momentarily the most important guy that keeps them going...

Best kill I have gotten with mines was when I laid down a couple on the road knowing there will be some squad coming to ghost cap... waited... waited... boom – 10/12 sunderer with most of guys inside being extreme menaces drove into those without mineguard. I was blinded by the XP flow. :)

But yea in my opinion they shouldn't be proximity but pressure triggered to make eg. blockade armor a bit better cert for ams sunderers (also blockade should impact to c4 damage in my honest opinion).
  9. Goretzu

In PS1 a well placed Spitfire turret and a couple of AI mines would see off all but the most devious and determined solo attackers.
  10. FreelancePanic

Personally, I think they should be kept as is. Because, using mines as an area denial tool (i.e. being able to make larger minefields with weaker mines) would suck so badly for the engineer. Why?

1. Time to lay said minefield. The poor engi would have to spend who knows how long creating a decent field. I don't know about you, but that sounds boring. Move forward a bit, drop mine. Move a bit to the right, drop another one. etc. Of course, some people would say 'but why not use a large device which automatically scatters mines?'. But then minefields either become too predicable (if spread in a certain pattern) or not precise enough for the engineer's liking (if randomly scattered). I could plop down two mines in a few seconds on a road and be done with it with mines in their current state.

2. Resource cost. I will not (and I'm pretty sure everyone else wouldn't either) pay for mines which are being used in an area denial situation. Why? If a person doesn't get instantly killed, the person can easily destroy the rest of the minefield since they'll know where the mines are. They gain XP for explosives destroyed, and the engineer weeps quietly at the number of resources lost. Therefore, they'd have to be incredibly cheap.

I'd only support weakening mines if both problems are properly addressed.
    Also, PS1 vets, take yer goddam NostalgiaGoggles (TM) off. I do believe there is a PS1 server still online.
  11. FateJH

The concerns of the mine field generating excesive lag due to the number of persistent game object for the server to keep track of can be mitigated somewhat, though I think the suggestion may come too later for SOE's implementation. Rather than laying actual mines, and creating a load of X objects, the mine field is actual a discrete area that does incremental explosive damage to moving enemy vehicles that enter it until the total amount of damage is equivalent to X mines. After X mines-worth of damage, the field will cease to exist.

C4 is designed to be pressed into the grooves and creases of a target and explode from "within" for greater structural damage. Granting that we don't have the animation detail to fully depict that whole process, I can see Blockade Armor being good against C4 that is not directly attached to the Sunderer when it explodes, but C4 being attached to the Sunderer would have justiable reason to go around the bulk of Blockade Armor defense.
  12. Aliasse

give players more mines sure... lower the dmg sure... add a proxmity [Logical] condition which prevents stacking mines together in one spot. OK!
  13. botosan

tank mines are perfectly tuned being a niche target.
    those who guard against it will survive, those who dont cert into it are the ones crying.

c4 on the other hand is certable by other classes besides engy...which leads to more enemies, but, you can see all of them advancing on your sunderer, also they must survive the planting process and detonation process for a c4 attack to work.if you arent defending then you have nothing to cry about.

max mineguard already negates max certable engy tank mine carrying/deployable capability..learn to mineguard if u so cherish said vehicle.

1v1 mineguard wins
  14. Rudette

Mines are fine! If anything should change about them it's how they function. I could justify a change in functionality--so that they only explode if they are traveled over rather than just being dropped and detonating themselves on a parked vehicle.Even still, you could use a sticky grenade or your gun as a primer. Suicide engie would still happen, it would just be a little bit trickier.

I think the reason most sundies die is because a lot of the time the driver won't stay with it and protect it either on foot or with his bulldogs. I run armor on my surrender. I usually switch to my infiltrator and throw down a couple claymores in likely directions an enemy engie would come from, then switch back to an engineer with a shotgun. Place down the turret and use it, the terrain, the claymores, and the sundy itself to funnel the attack in predictable places. Engie gets within my shotgun's killzone, he's done. He might respawn to do it again.. but.. Hey I got a sunderer right here, I can just lay down more claymores and get ready for his second try, or pack up and move my sundy to a new location.
    • Up x 1
  15. botosan

now if talking multiple enemies coming after your precious vehicle no certable defense is gonna help you
  16. botosan

this..its noob sunderer drivers that think hey ill park an ams anyhwhere reap the so called 3-4 xp per spawn bonus whatever it is and go fight far away and never defend the spawn point....fressh ams just certed.....waaaaahhhhh it got destroyed so easily at must be op.
  17. RubberFur

Whaaaa? 5 Tank Mines, 4 Proxi, 4 C4, 4 Medkit, 4 Resto Pack, Ammo Pack, Turret, Grenade Launcher, Sticky Nades, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Place 1 Mine, Place C4 on Top, Put Proxi mine on top. Watch sundi drive over. Max Mineguard ignored.
  18. MaximL

vehicle-driver-for-farming-Infantry cry thread? It sounds like put mines on top of tank/sunderer so easy so tank drivers suffer