Mines are too powerful. Solution? Lower damage, increase number of mines to carry/deploy

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheLeader, Feb 13, 2013.

1. TheLeader

Right now, mines are broken. You can drop a mine on top of a deployed sundy and nearly kill it instantly. That's not right.

PS1 combat engineering needs to come back. Lower the damage of mines (1 mine does typically 10-15% damage to a sundy), but give a cert for number of mines you can carry AND deploy. Maybe start out with 5, going up to 15 max. You can only have a given number of mines deployed anywhere on the map. You cannot place another mine within 5 yard radius of a mine.

This worked very well in planetside 1, creating mine fields.. something that COULD be devastating, but you could avoid it if you weren't going too fast and caught your self. As infantry, you could survive walking a few meters away from an exploding mine
    • Up x 10
  2. Grotpar

In before the hordes of people claiming they'll just lay down more mines and it will change nothing and blablabla.
    • Up x 1
  3. Raital

Two mines. One takes a normal Sunderer to a little less than 50% health.

One mine will do about 15.8% damage to a Sunderer with mineguard 4. What's wrong with using mineguard?
    • Up x 1
  4. Cougarbrit

Ok I guess Engis will just switch to C4 bombing your sundy then. Can't be countered and they can carry a lot more C4 than LA's.

Or they just switch to LAs for the same reason.
  5. illgot

use mineguard?
    • Up x 3
  6. TheLeader

Why would it change nothing? It removes the ability to drop a single mine on a sundy and blow it up.
  7. Cougarbrit

Yes, this ability that doesn't even exist. It requires 2 mines, and can be heavily countered by mineguard to the point of making mines weaker than default rockets and a total waste of resources for the engi.

As soon as I heard about this tactic I certed my way up to Mineguard 4 for my AMS and haven't been blown up by mines since, in fact I haven't even noticed when engis do it anymore because the damage is so laughable.
  8. TheLeader

So why don't they?
  9. TheLeader

Yes, mine guard is a way to counter this. But more mines + lower damage = a lot more fun as an combat engineer. Have you played PS1? I just feel like the way mines were in that game were done much better
    • Up x 1
  10. {joer

Mines are fine, people's play is what's too weak.

Buff players brains, don't nerf mines.
  11. Flarenza

Well it would change something. It would cause the forums to have less liars like you around. ONE mine doesn't kill a sundy, it takes 2 minimum and that is only if they don't have mineguard. The only things that die to 1 mine are flash and if you get very lucky a lightning.
  12. Grotpar

I'm not the person to ask, because I don't know.
  13. innersphere1

Are you serious? This will became MINESIDE 2, also will increase lag.. and ATM this game doesnt really need more lag..
  14. Maruun

A Engi needs 100 certs to get 2xmine and needs 120? Ressource to buy them. Needs to run to a sunderer place 2 mines and gets a kill. BUT

A Sunderer using 50 certs to get the first rank of mineguard. In that moment 2 mines arent enough to kill a sunderer. Nedated completly.

A fully certed mineguard sunderer need what was it? 7 mines? fully certed it costs 500certs.

7 mines cost a ******** of more certs and more more then 700 Ressources to kill a sunderer isnt worth the hassle.
  15. Cougarbrit

Because AT mines cost less certs, at the cost of being useless to use agaisnt air 99% of the time and extremely risky to use against infantry, as you basically have to sneak or sprint your way right into the middle of an enemy group to drop it, then you actually have to shoot the mine or similar to explode it. Basically killing NC maxes is a goddamn nightmare using AT mines. C4 however is a kill-all remote det and is priced thusly. 700 certs for two against the uh, 100-200 idr the exact price, for two AT mines.
  16. Compass

Check out this cheap Engineer use AT mines C4 to blow up a Sunderer.

Getting your Sunderer blown up because your team failed to defend it indicates a problem with your team's valuation of the Sunderer, not a problem with the weapon blowing it up.
  17. Cougarbrit

150 resources. Basically it'll cost most of your infantry resources to kill a Mineguard 4 sundy with mines, more than it took vehicle resources to spawn, but that barely matters thanks to vehicle timers.
  18. Cougarbrit

Also this, I notice the vast majority of people are just utterly unwilling to defend a sunderer. I get pretty annoyed when I'm using one as even if it is the numero uno sunderer of an entire assault, I'll be one of the only one bothering to defend it or repair it, especially repair it, even if I'm telling people in chat.
  19. Jaquio

Mines aren't too powerful.

It takes two mines to take down a sunderer. With mine guard 4 it takes seven mines to take out a sunderer.

Seven mines is 525 resources. Your sunderer only cost 450 resources.

Mines are single-use. Three mines cost more resources (225) than an ESF (200), and an ESF gets an inexhaustible supply of ammo if they stay alive to reload.

Also, you can see mines on the road. Wherever there's a chokepoint, you can have your forward gunner scanning the road. I have blown up many mines as a front gunner going through chokepoints like Howling Pass.

As for engineers suicide rushing your Sundy, they're easily defended against using personnel mines.

I blew up a sundy yesterday. I was by myself defending Rust Mesa, and the VS driver parked a sundy right outside the spawn building. I ran out, casually ran by two players, and dropped the mines. There were also three people in the sundy (I netted three kills) meaning they had both gunners operating, and neither of them fired at me. Either of the two players, or the two gunners could have shot me, but players turn their blinders on when they're near their own sundy. That's poor play, not an issue with mines.
    • Up x 5
  20. Inzababa

yup !

I approve this message !
    • Up x 1