Miller v Woodman v Cobalt\Ceres on PTR - It's On!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ulysees, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Dotz0r

Theres always time for

MILLERTIME

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    • Up x 6
  2. Ulysees

Remember we are not talking about total server pop and having to spread over 3 factions, it is only having to fill 1 faction across your entire server and without data I don't know whether or not we would be able to accommodate extra servers being thrown into the mix.

Frankly I am staggered at the overwhelmingly positive response that Miller has given to this and I am concerned that we might well outnumber the other factions considerably but I also don't have solid suggestions for making it a fair fight so let each server beat it's drum and summon it's dogs of war for the battle of the year they have a little over a week to get the competitive juices flowing and show what their server is made of.
    • Up x 2
  3. RF404

Isn't it a bit risky to postpone the event for an entire week? I mean, do we even know if Hossin still will be up after SOE Live ends? The current map seems to be scaled down with the SOE Live in mind, so it's not all too unlikely that it will be taken down again once their event is over.
  4. LordMondando

Need clarification here, the 'offical' document uses UTC, which currently no country in the world is using.

See this is why doing things involving 100's of people at the drop of a hat is a bad idea.
  5. RF404

I've been trying to catch up on things now and I really can't figure out why [MILR] (which currently has 66 members and is actively running platoons on Hossin) has to be disbanded, just to be regrouped in [MILL] (which according to my knowledge has 0 members and no activity on the test server).

If we got a good thing going, can't we keep it rolling? As long as the right people are given permissions to recruit to that outfit there shouldn't be an issues, no?

Also - both Woodman and Cobalt has posted about a mini event on the 4th in their official info without anyone there having any objections, so why does Miller have to cancel it for everyone? It's not like it's going to be the end of the world if we run a small scale trial that ends up lacking in organization. Atleast we'd then know what would go wrong before the main event started.
  6. LordMondando

Its an outfit on the test server, hardly a big deal. And the MILL that replaces it will be bigger and better than ever. I for one will be happily using it to assemble people in the future. RIP Clones with attitude (CWA).

No ones stopping anyone going on the test server.

Its a nightmare getting the numbers on however. As anyone who's ever organised and event will be happy to attest. Its not simply people trying to ruin peoples fun. Its people with experience knowing 'hey lets all get on in two days' will be a massive flop and that'll be the death of the idea.

I can tell you right now, its the difference between DL turning up with 2 squads or 5 people. I rate I would expect mirror in almost every major outfit. And this fails to work, if its just the drips and drabs bar a single fight common to the test server.

The real actual benefit of this, behind all the LETZ HAVE FUNZ, is that we are going to stress test a radically new continent.

Given the fact that UTC was also chosen for the time and thats apprenlty causing another raft of confusion needing clarification. I think the case of the 'lets wait and get this at least a little bit organised' crowd is pretty much past the supreme court and beyond appeal.
  7. Ganelon

The official event is the 11th of August, trial event on the 4th.

The trial event is honestly to just drum people up and get them on the test server and in the outfit. It's also useful to see if the test server can handle the stress.
  8. Mr T

We need to get this clear. What outfit are we using? Which one currently has more members in? And are we going ahead with the trail on the 4th?
  9. LordMondando

Great could I direct your attention towards this.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/MillerPlane...miller_vs_cobalt_vs_woodman_pts_event/cbfusof

Frankly, using UTC will be a mess and 8pm/9pm on a night before work is not the best idea. I thought it was 7pm/8pm being actually based on time zones people are living in at the moment (our friends in eastern greenland, the azores and cape verde will just have to start an hour earlier).

It'll be fine. It's been under significant stress before during the initial lattice tests. I really would not worry about it. Theres nothing stopping anyone going on the test server at any time, the issue is getting hundreds on at once.
  10. ScottishRoss

From what I understand the reason MILR is getting replaced with MILL is because the right people need to be in control of it. The correct outfits have to be joined and the correct leaders have to be in charge. That's just what I think, but I dunno.
  11. Ganelon

Trial run is a yes.

It's not going to be the official event, it's a dry run to get people into outfits and possibly a wake-up call to the devs. You'd also have time to observe the battleflow and establish strategies.

Sounds reasonable, but you have to consider that once a time has been established it's difficult to change it and then relay that to all the others.
    We're talking about organising massive amounts of people here, most of them will be on the test server before the event starts just to grind/get to know the map/move in squads.
  12. RF404

Well, this certainly seems to straighten out a lot of the question marks. Thanks for the info guys.
    We'll see (Read: shoot) you guys on the 4th! Cheers!
  13. LordMondando

Its barely been established mate, i've talked to several people thinking it was 7pm BST/8pm CEST. UTC is a ridiclously confusing time frame because ti doesn't adapt to summer time. Everyone just assumes its GMT, and GMT is whatever time it is in london right now.

Its also not just that, its, as I point out in that thread. That what is in reality 8pm, and 9pm for the majority of people is allready a late start on a 'work night' and this will be pointless, if its 30 minutes of actual fighting, then numbers rapidly tail off. We need as close as possible to 2 hours to make this worthwhile.

As someone who got a cookie from SOE for organizing events on the test server when it first came out, please trust me, I have as much experience in this as anyone living. Give people a start time, you'll be lucky if you get 60% by 20 minutes afterwards. You won't even have an idea of numbers who might actually turn up till 40 minutes in.

then their is the sorting out of comms (and make no mistake just getting a VOIP to handle it is going to be a massive ******* faf in and of itself) and what to do, this will take place parallel to people just turning up, at least 15 minutes if we are lucky. If its just throw people on the test server, make an NC char (or whatever) go. Its also barely going to be worth it and we might as well just wait for the next focused test (i'd bet next weekend anyway) which is essentially that anyway.

If you think people will go onto a test server they automatically get 100k certs on, to just have a bit of fun and grind some more certs, im afraid your mistaken. This needs to be a good involving battle. Or it will not work. And, I promise you, people will turn up in drips and drabs and we need to take account of that. Which is why I am really against just a late start, and really question the reasoning behind it (I can't help but think an arbitrary time was just plucked from the aether).

Lets me realistic about this please, i'd actually like this to work as it could be highly amusing.
  14. ValorousBob

Freeze, you guys are always welcome in the UBAD group, and probably VC too. I haven't seen any posts by VC people saying they going to join, but I'll drag their spandex ***** over if I have too.

I have noticed a disturbing lack of TVA outfits...

EDIT: Just counted, we have over 20 outfits x'ing up for glory and 5 of them are TVA outfits. What. The. ****.
  15. Van Dax

What big ones are we missing?
  16. MajorZbug

Nope, BST is GMT+1. No wonder people are getting confused if you tell them that.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/gmt.html

UTC : http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

Easy enough, you can tell the offset from what this links says compared to your favorite clock at home.

You can even setup a second clock on your PC to be always on UTC. Did that a lot on Eve Online (was playing on US TZ), no problem.
  17. huller

personaly I find it a bit silly of woodman to challenge us and have the first pick of a faction. any duelist should give his oponent the first pick of weapons. I have little to no experience with NC weapons, only reference I have is the TMG :c
  18. Ogedai

We chose the worst faction anyway so you should be happy.
  19. Klyka

You can't honestly think of this as a "challenge".
    It's literally just "hey guys let's shoot some dudes on the testserver."
  20. Kable

1st off... Their server is smaller in population. They should have that advantage. 2nd... We are going to WG lock them in the first hour so you won't be playing that much with the NC guns.