Map screen STILL makes temps spike!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BlackDove, May 5, 2013.

1. Shuriko

Downloaded from SOE directly.
  2. BlackDove

Is there a difference between the Steam and the non-Steam version? If so, what is it?

This doesn't happen when I shift-tab in the game, or use the Steam overlay in any other game.
  3. Shuriko

The differense for me at the beginning was that the game downloaded from Steam wouldnt work at all with all the guidelines and "help" provided at the time.
    So I went to this homepage and downloaded the game from this homepage and it worked.
    Been sticking with this since then.
  4. Murmillo

It might be worth noting that I do not use the Steam version of PlanetSide 2 either, and I do not experience these problems. Have you tried closing out your Steam Overlay, BlackDove? It may be a shot in the dark, but it's entirely possible PS2's menu isn't playing with Steam's Overlay very well.

EDIT: Forgot to show you how to do that. Right+clicking the Steam icon > Settings > Select the "In-game" tab > De-click "Enable Steam Community News"

Had to do this for Age of Empires HD, it was turning my games into slideshows every-time a friend would...do anything that initiated a notification from Steam, really. Good luck to you!
  5. Oathblivion

I'm going to test this when I next play, if I can figure out how to make Afterburner display its info without alt-tabbing out of the game. I'll edit this post with what I find.
  6. AgentBryan

Been testing this all week, temperatures consistently drop during any 2D screen for me. Steam version.
  7. IronWarrior

Don't think Steam or stand-alone makes a difference. Since you can run the Steam version without Steam running. In this case of the game, Steam is just a delivery service and nothing more.

Have to say am getting fed up with opening the map screen or menu and having the fan speed increase from 32% (idle is 30) to 42% to 48% for no reason other then to annoy my ears.
  8. Oathblivion

Okay, I don't guess I will edit, because there's a timer on it for whatever reason.

Anyhow, I noticed no difference at all. My temps were 66-72, and usage never went much above 50% (and then only in bio labs). I didn't notice temp drops during the map screen, however. I probably didn't stay on it long enough. I got curious about CPU usage, and just now downloaded HWInfo to monitor that for the play session later today. If the edit timer is nice, I'll edit this to see if the map screen causes any aberrations in that.
  9. BlackDove

If it weren't for my aggressive fan curve, and the fact that my fans NEVER spin to 85% in any game(this includes Borderlands 2 and other GPU intensive games on max settings), unless there's something wrong, I wouldn't have noticed this issue. I had my 560Ti on the "auto" fan curve until it broke, shortly after starting to play PS2, and I never noticed how much the map spikes the usage.
  10. LibertyRevolution

Ok, so I went into VR training... Was equipping my magrider slots, game crashes.
    Startup my GPU overlay, return to VR, go to equip mag slots.. GPU use is at 90% and temps spike to 95ºC, causing crash.
    This is with Vsync On, and MaxFPs at 60. Overlay is confirming I am getting 60FPS.

Go to real world, open map, 50% gpu use things are normal.

I walk over to a weapon terminal... 82% GPU use and 91ºC !?!

I cannot replicate the problem on the map screen, but I am seeing it on the vehicle and weapon terminals.

Video:

I am going to rip apart my tower now and clean my gpu, but I just did that 20 days ago...
    Problem started after I went to VR... never seen temps like this before.. 80's sure.. 90's never..
    Current GPU temp is 47ºC, case temp 34ºC, CPU 41ºC temp . GTX570.
  11. BlackDove

If your GPU isn't constantly doing that, it's probably not an issue of cleaning.

The other interesting thing is that it's at a terminal. What in the code is going on there? What's going on in a menu? Interesting that they both have similar 2D effects as well.

Welcome to the club though. Try underclocking like I did.
  12. BlackDove

Guessing by GU 20 they might have a fix?