Map screen STILL makes temps spike!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BlackDove, May 5, 2013.

1. f0d

my temps stay the same
    ati 6970
  2. EmperorTuna

Using a nvidia 680, not particularly well cooled. Pretty standard, no OC.

Temps go up and down as normal as during fights.

Link to temps during watching a large fight on highest settings, followed by sitting on the map screen for spawn, then sitting on the map screen outside of a large fight whilst spawned. During looking at the map, I zoomed in and out wildly, for SCIENCE.

http://i.imgur.com/VBo3bkO.png

No noticeable difference, except that GPU usage goes down a lot during sitting on a map.
    • Up x 1
  3. deadlymint

MSI Afterburner.
  4. BlackDove

I use Gigabyte OC Guru 2 because I have a Gigabyte card.
  5. TheVandalz

Planetside 2 can fill up your video card's memory and utilize the GPU at 100% duty cycles.

It cannot make the hardware do things it is not designed to do. It cannot speak a secret code to your drivers that will make it do something it's not supposed to do. It will not generate code like a self aware skynet causing your computer to crash. It can only use your video card, exactly as it is intended to be used, up to 100% of its maximum potential.

As evidenced by just about everyone else in the game, the menu decreases the load on the video card and as such generates less heat when compared to any other high load portion of the game.

Let us also assume you are not just making this all up, because I truly believe you are not, using deductive reasoning it is most likely to be an issue with your configuration or the hardware itself. There really is no other possibility because that is how it works, period.

IMO, it's heat related. It can only be heat, it's always been heat, and will continue to be heat, whether you want to believe it or not, that would be generated in any game that used your video card properly at 100%. The extra load could cause any improperly cooled or malfunctioning portion of your motherboard overheat. It could be your system memory. It could be your CPU. It could be a variety of contributing factors all coming together to create the perfect storm. All the extra heat from elsewhere could be raising the equilibrium of your video card.

What it cannot be is something that is not causing the exact same issue for everyone else using the same or similar setups with the same Nvidia drivers, etc. Unless of course the PlanetSide 2 developers have discovered a way to utilize over 100% of your video card...

The most common difference between you (generally speaking) and everyone else will be what driver versions you are using and what software you have running in the background while you play PlanetSide 2.

It is far more likely that any one of those factors are contributing to the issue as opposed to the issue being a game bug that only affects you and absolutely no one else.

My honest to god suggestion, open up your mind and start REALLY looking over your configuration and hardware and stop implying that the evil developers have discovered how to unlock hidden potential in your hardware that the manufacturer's aren't even aware of.
  6. BlackDove

7. TheVandalz

Their GPU's melted? So Blizzard knows how to make a video card use more than 100%?

Do you understand percentages? Do you not understand that in grade school when an adult told you to give 110% it wasn't a literal order?

Clearly you do not.
  8. TSR-JoshuaM Customer Service

Hello!

First, if anyone is having these types of issues we urge you to open a support ticket, assist in the troubleshooting process, and let us get as much information on the issue as we can. There can be an infinite amount of contributing factors and even if the issue is server side, investigating and eliminating the common possibilities works towards developing a working solution.

While Starcraft 2 is not an SOE product we do not want misinformation to cloud the troubleshooting process. The bug you are referring to was an issue causing too much to be loaded in to video memory, and too many unnecessary cycles to be running on the video card. The overheating was not the bug, causing the overheating was not the bug.

The bug was just the aforementioned additional cycles and load in the memory that didn't need to be there. On a video card that has zero issues, configured by default, with working fans, this would not cause your video card to overheat because it is designed to run at these limits within acceptable heat thresholds.

What it does not account for are the other contributing factors. If the ambient temperatures in your case are 5C higher than yesterday, your video card is theoretically 5C higher as well (though more robust aftermarket coolers can really work towards lowering the operating temperature moving from idle to load). If the fans are spinning 500RPM's slower than yesterday, theoretically your temperatures have also taken a hit. The contributing factors are infinite.

I believe what TheVandalz is trying to explain to you is that the game code cannot force the video card to do anything it isn't supposed to be completely capable of handling. What is causing you to overheat is not causing someone else to, and it is the difference between you and that person that will lead to discovering why.

Investigating the game code may uncover a situation like our example with that other game, double rendered frames, unnecessary cycles, and so on (we even had a very similar issue with PlanetSide 2 in Beta), but what it will not do is resolve why your video card overheats when being fully utilized.

So, the problem could be true on both ends. PlanetSide 2 could have an issue causing unnecessary cycles (we'll gather as much information as we can at the customer service level and relay all of it as organized as we can to our development teams), and your video card is definitely overheating. These two issues are not mutually exclusive. The next person over could be experiencing the exact same additional load on his video card with zero overheating due to his lower ambient temperatures, regular maintenance on his parts/fans etc, proper drivers and so on.
  9. EmperorTuna

It was clearly evidenced that the large majority of people who "melted" their graphics cards succeeded in doing so because the graphics card was pushed to its limit for an extended amount of time, and the cooling for that GPU and PC case/laptop was insufficient to support such a heavy heat load for an extended amount of time.

As Mr Vandalz pointed out, there isn't some magic code that makes a card work harder than it is purely designed to do so. Just longer than expected, with poor stock cooling solutions.
  10. SirJMD

Are you kidding or..?

If your hardware cannot handle actually being used, then you have a problem. Your hardware should be able to handle full load for hours, not just a few seconds.
  11. BlackDove

I understand where you're coming from. However, my PC has the following specifications:

i5 2320 with a Delta heatsink/fan
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard
    Gigabyte Ultra Durable 660Ti with Cooler Master "Windforce" cooling solution(two 100mm fans and a giant heatpipe heatsink)
    Lian Li PCK-7B case with 3x120mm PWM controlled fans, which are monitored
    Seasonic X650 Gold which is one of the best available
    All of that is in a room which the ambient temperature doesn't fluctuate more than a few degress from 70F, with very well filetered air, and the computer itself is dusted regularly with compressed gas(did it last weekend), and power is backed up and filtered by an APC BackUPS XS1000

I take reliability and durability seriously with my PC builds. They're never overclocked, and they are overbuilt in terms of both cooling and power.

And this issue is not limited to me, or because my room is hot. This issue is simply this: open a 2D map screen, store screen, loadout(basically anything where there's a 2D overlay in the game) and the GPU seems to load for no reason, and generate a ton of heat.

I understand that it may be possible to run a power virus or other program that loads a GPU to 100% for no apparent reason and not damage it, but in terms of computing hardware, the general rule is that cooler parts(capacitors, CPU's, GPU's, all the heat sensitive things in a computer) last longer than ones that are unnecessarily hot.

It's not like the game being intensive is what's overheating my computer. I can have a huge Zerg with tons of PhysX and not go above 60C. Go to the loadout, map or other 2D screen and the fans go nuts, trying to keep it below 70. I'm running Vsync and I also limited the framerate to 60 in the .ini file. This has NOT fixed the issue at all.

It is easily replicated: just go to the 2D screens with a normal GPU. Am I the only one having this issue? No, and I'd be willing to bet that a LOT more people don't even realize it's the map screen that's doing it. Assuming that the devs don't all run low clocked Quadro's and there are actually some "normal" PC's with Geforces in them, the issue should be able to be replicated by someone at SOE. It seems common enough, and limited to 2D screens. They can monitor the load/fan speed and notice the effects of being on the loadout screen vs playing.

Here are just a few of the other posts I could find. There were more, but the search feature kinda sucks and I couldn't find all of them.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/98-gpu-load-character-selection-screen.61234/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...t-character-select-with-2-x-7850-cards.61697/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/gpu-temp-increases-after-last-update.117410/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/character-select-ingame-gpu-temp-issues.50024/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/gpu-burns.90196/ "My gtx 580 likes to run hot whenever there is nothing on the screen. Map, loading, warpgate, looking a wall and such and such. It doesnt run nearly as hot during fights however."

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...e-gpu-loading-and-cant-disable-shadows.65684/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/beware-of-99-gpu-load-while-idle.54532/ (cycles mchurtz responded interestingly in that)

There is a guy with dual 580's who posted in my Store Screen Overheats thread http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...lso-spikes-gpu-temps-wtf.125209/#post-1716886

He said the following:

"Having the same issues here on my Pc aswell.
    I am using 2x Gtx580 cards SLI. HAVE ALSO tried to run with a single card and still this heatissue and fans starts off as soon as I enter The Store screen in-game.
    During the battles I have NO issue running the game on normal temperatures and the fans are normal "silent" as usual.
    But as soon as I start up the in-game Store "Depot", Map-screen etc The temperatures rises and the fans spins and sounds like a jet engine trying to fly away.

NOTE!
    Not using Beta drivers, I am on the official 314.22 drivers for the cards.
    Have tried SLI and the issue is still there.
    Have tried running with BOTH cards ONE at a time and the issue is still there.
    I have tried with removing One card after testing the other and the problem is still there.
    My brother who is also using GTX 500 Series also have this issue."

The guy posting after him only gets black screens and BSOD's when viewing 2D screens as well.
  12. Dropbearownage

My Fans sped up 100% as soon as I opened the map also my fans speed up more in that game then any game I have ever played
  13. BlackDove

Are you kidding or? My hardware is excellent. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125441 Does that cooler look inadequate? It's manufactured by Cooler Master.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...151088&RandomID=99861715210824320130514060406 One of the best PSU's in its power range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498 All Japanese capacitors etc.

Yeah, my hardware is fine thanks.

What is clearly evidenced is that you don't know what you're talking about. The overheating bug was not due to inadequate ventilation or hardware in the case of StarCraft 2, but rather to the fact that the menu screens were not framerate locked, and the GPU just continued drawing the image as many times as it could, thereby doing more work than it would EVER need to do if it was simply rendering the game's graphics.

The BS response from Blizzard that people needed to dust their computers was just that: BS. Why would their simplistic menu screen melt peoples GPU's, but not the actual game? That's kind of hard to explain, isn't it?

Just like it's kind of hard to explain how ALL THOSE PEOPLE who have posted threads of their own about the menu/map screens causing their GPU to excessively load, and the ones posting in this thread, can run THE GAME just fine, but they experience issues with the 2D menu screens.

And yes, there IS a "magic code" that makes GPU's work harder than they're designed to. It's called a power virus. I suggest you look it up, and how they work. Furmark is a rather well known one, and Nvidia and AMD have both locked Furmark's code out on a hardware level, to prevent it from CONTINUING to destroy their GPU's and prevent a bunch of idiots from sending them back after they melt them.

A power virus like Furmark runs a GPU at its maximum TDP constantly. No game normally does this, unless there's a glitch in it, like the one in StarCraft 2. No game normally, and constantly, saturates the GPU to the point that it will damage it, unless there's a software glitch like the one being described in this thread. While you can aruge that a game's code "should" be written to take advantage of 100% of the GPU at all times, or that GPU's should be able to run at 100% TDP for years on end, they aren't written that way, and GPU's aren't manufactured that way. In any case, cooler components last longer, and I don't think anyone wants a stupid 2D screen to load their GPU to 100% when the game's most intense battle wont!

That being said, I would hardly call the coolers on my GPU, or my friends with two or three 100mm fans, with massive heatpipe heatsinks "poor stock cooling solutions". Two of them have Cooler Master cases with a ridiculous amount of 230mm and 140mm fans in them. I've got a Lian Li with 3x120mm PWM controlled fans being monitored and controlled from my motherboard.

What seems more likely? All these people with high end GPU's need to dust their now somehow inadequate cooling solutions out, or the 2D screens are drawn and discarded, even with Vsync and maxfps on, to the point that they behave like a power virus? Why is it only in the menu screens? The theory of fluctuating ambient temperature doesn't work either, since it's only when on a 2D menu. It's not power, because voltages are monitored from the wall to the CPU, RAM and GPU on my system by this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101393 Oh there's more of my inadequate hardware!
  14. SirJMD

Then I don't understand your "potentially hardware breaking" crying.

If someone is worried about overheating because the game suddenly uses the resources it's supposed to use, then the game isn't the problem - the hardware is, and that person shouldn't be playing any games at all.

Let SOE fix important issues, not this.
  15. Shuriko

I think its pretty bad logic coming from people saying that the problem is in the hardware and not in the coding / programming of the game.

With soooo many people having the same issues, some as Blackdove stated earlier might have but either is to oblivious to notice or just dont care cant be hardware issues alone.
    That means that the hardware we all got is malfunctioning or is a bad fabricate?

Look at it like this, you buy a car that CAN reach 250km/h as its top speed. Does it mean its good for your cars engine to ALWAYS push it to that speed? What about the components in the engine? What about the other components like, tires, breaks, gears, fuelpumps etc??
    Same theory with the Computers. We have computers of various purposes ( I use mine to play games and watch movies on, so mines pretty highend and with extra cooling) is it healthy to push the computers to its peak everytime/everyday you want to play a game that otherwise functions decently? Some might play for 5-8hours straight 7days/week, and with the computer working on high temps due to a bad coding programming your bound to get some kind of damage on your machine.

This isnt a topic that should be brushed under the rug as easily as some people might want.
    And again I see a unpaid Customer/gamer come up with a temporary solution when it should have been a paid SOE employe.

Edit: I know it might be a tricky issue to naildown and fix, but atleast post another responce ie "were looking into it at the moment", Or " we know its a bugg were trying to fix it" anything really.
  16. BlackDove

Wow... How ignorant can people be? Really.

A 2D MAP SHOULD NOT USE 100% OF A GPU'S RESOURCES WHEN THE ACTUAL GAME DOESN'T! THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A GLITCH!

How is that not an important issue!? So people with GPU's that can run the game fine, and overload on the map because it behaves like a power virus, saturating the GPU and running it at its TDP constantly like Furmark(which is also known to break high end, brand new GPU's) shouldn't play the game!?

I hear a lot of stupid things on this forum, but that's definitely the stupidest thing yet. Congratulations.

I suppose SOE should get back to really important issues though, like adding more cosmetic items to the game, right? Wow.

Now do me a favor, go sit on the map or store screen and leave your PC on so I don't have to read any more of your stupidity ok? Thanks.
  17. SirJMD

It would be an issue if the recourse usage kept being high, but that's not the case - for me the map makes the GPU spike, but as soon as I close it, it's gone.

Based on that, I think there are tons of other stuff SOE should rather fix before this.

Again.. "and overload on the map" - if that's the case, then you need to fix your computer. If it cannot handle 100% load, then stop playing games. It's that simple.

It's already running with 100% load on both my 7850 and my 7970 24/7 overclocked, so sorry to destroy your dreams, but I've build my computer to be able to handle being used as it's intended.

"2D map breaks my computer.. waaaahh" - go fix your computer please :)
  18. SilverAura

The fact that no one is reporting the map having a dramatic impact on their games performance means that this is NOT an urgent issue. Yes, it's a glitch and you're an idiot if you think anyone here is sincerely trying to convince you otherwise. But hardware is not going to die with 100% usage or temperature spikes unless you've intentionally overclocked your hardware to exceed safety constraints.

And if you are overclocking and you're upset that a game is killing your hardware faster due to your explicit hardware tweaks, your anger is understandable but not justified. You cannot blame SOE because you don't like that they aren't taking your intentional hardware handicap into consideration.
    So it would seem to me as though if you think this is an issue, you've got one of two options.

• Stop overclocking your hardware to function in excess to safety constraints. If you're that concerned about heat, you shouldn't be overclocking to begin with. Hardware heat and gaming go hand and hand.
    • If you aren't overclocking and you think heat is an issue, you've got three additional options.
      • Stop worrying. Hardware is designed to operate under intense conditions brought upon by it's own maximum performance. Properly functioning hardware will not fail under heat produced while it's functioning within stock configurations.
        • Any hardware with a fan will automatically increase fan speed to reduce heat unless you've explicitly changed it for sake of silence.
        • Most hardware will automatically throttle back performance to prevent damage once it exceeds temperatures known to cause damage, allowing it to cool.
      • Clean your case or rearrange parts and wires to maximize airflow. Again, heat and gaming go hand and hand. Any heat related damage to hardware operating within stock configuration is almost entirely the result of negligence on the builders behalf, not the game.
    • Get new hardware. If your hardware is getting enough airflow, is operating within stock configurations, and still produces more heat than is safe for the hardware, you've got bunk hardware. It's as simple as that. Replace the parts.
      • Hopefully you've stress tested your hardware before you exceeded your return period.
    • Up x 1
  19. BlackDove

Why do you continue to demonstrate your ignorance? First, YOU HAVE THE ISSUE TOO. Thanks for confirming that.

Secondly, why do you think that a 2D map screen loading your GPU MORE THAN THE ACTUAL GAME is ok? That's the same thing that was damaging peoples' hardware in StarCraft 2 FFS.

So fixing a power virus-like map screen shouldn't be a priority, even though a similar issue in another game damaged a bunch of graphics cards in high end systems, by loading it like Furmark?

Do you even realize how stupid what you're saying is? Anyone who designs and builds systems, or programs, knows that cooler components last longer, and it's best to be as efficient as possible when utilizing anything. It's one thing to play a demanding game, but this game doesn't overheat my GPU. The map screen doesn't overheat it either, because I have plenty of cooling and high quality parts.

Fix my computer? What's to fix? The Seasonic X650 Gold? The GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3? The Gigabyte 660Ti with the huge heatpipe cooler on it? My Lian Li case with 3x120mm PWM fans? My Delta CPU cooler? My BackUPS XS1000? Yeah, ok.

Have you noticed all the people who've been posting in addition to me, in threads that have been ignored for months by SOE and by the community in general, about their overheating GPU's? About their random reboots and black screens, particularly on on the map? Here, let me refresh your memory.

There were more, but the search feature kinda sucks and I couldn't find all of them.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/98-gpu-load-character-selection-screen.61234/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...t-character-select-with-2-x-7850-cards.61697/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/gpu-temp-increases-after-last-update.117410/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/character-select-ingame-gpu-temp-issues.50024/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/gpu-burns.90196/ "My gtx 580 likes to run hot whenever there is nothing on the screen. Map, loading, warpgate, looking a wall and such and such. It doesnt run nearly as hot during fights however."

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...e-gpu-loading-and-cant-disable-shadows.65684/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/beware-of-99-gpu-load-while-idle.54532/ (cycles mchurtz responded interestingly in that)

There is a guy with dual 580's who posted in my Store Screen Overheats thread http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...lso-spikes-gpu-temps-wtf.125209/#post-1716886

So, all of those people, know what their issue is.

How about the people out there who play the game, but are generally clueless, and don't have adequate cooling, and are getting black screens and random reboots? Do you think that, maybe, loading their GPU's to 100% for extended periods of time while viewing the map could be a contributing factor to their issues?

Please tell me more about how to build computers LOL.
  20. BlackDove

Try reading. I've underclocked my hardware specifically to prevent damage.

A lot of people are having the issue. See all the threads that people have posted about the map/2D screens loading their GPU excessively? Do you see how they get ignored by idiots who think constantly running a GPU at 100% load is a good thing?

Who is blaming anyone? What intentional hardware handicap? Are you sure you're actually reading the right thread?

What's really interesting is that there are a few people who are observant enough to notice it, however this forum is FILLED with people having issues. Remember the guy with the power problems and his undervolted RAM? How about the guy with the random reboots and black screens he ONLY gets, when looking at the map? All of those jerks who don't have the capability of running Furmark 24/7 should quit playing, right?

I agree that its peoples' responsibility to make sure their computer can run whatever applications they run, without damage. This forum is for people who play PS2 to get help with technical issues, and discuss them, which is exactly what I'm doing: discussing the 2D map screen glitch, and finding out how many people have it, and discussing possible causes and solutions to it.

Since even the rude and clueless SirJMD is experiencing the glitch, and he's got an AMD card, and a bunch of other people with different Nvidia cards are having it, it's clearly something pretty widespread, and not hardware specific.

It sure would suck to be one of those people who doesn't monitor their GPU temperatures like I do. I mean, the only reason I noticed it, is because I have such good cooling that my fans on my GPU are at basically idle speeds in most games, but ONLY in PS2 and ONLY on 2D screens do they spin to 85%!