Map screen STILL makes temps spike!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BlackDove, May 5, 2013.

1. BlackDove

The 2D map screen seems to be the most graphically demanding thing in PS2; not the PhysX, not the hundreds of people on screen, or flora or shadows.

I have set max FPS to 60 and Vsync is on.

Anyone who monitors their temps should really check and see if theirs is doing the same thing. Just press M and watch the temperature rise.
  2. BlackDove

Wow, still no response? A potentially graphics card destroying glitch that multiple people have reported and no response. Maybe the thread should have been titled "can't buy SC".
    • Up x 1
  3. BlackDove

It's amazing how little people care about this potentially hardware breaking(not just game breaking) glitch.
  4. XOLiD

Good thing I only look at my map for ~15 seconds at a time.
  5. BlackDove

When you do, does your GPU temp rise?

This could be a major clue to the people who are saying that their computer became unstable since they started playing. That one guy who said his PC was undervolting his RAM when playing etc.

This is a massive problem that seems to be getting ignored by both SOE and all the players on this forum.

If anyone else is experiencing this, please post.
  6. Duvenel

I take it from the lack of anyone else bothering to post that you might be the only one of possibly a few players experiencing this. Ever thought to check whether your heatsinks, coolers and thermal paste and all that stuff is all in good order?
  7. BlackDove

Haha very funny. Maybe I'm just one of the people who pays attention to stuff like that?

Yes, everything is fine with my Gigabyte Ultra Durable Windforce(made by Cooler Master) cooled GTX 660Ti.

I've also go it in a Lian Li case with 3x 120mm PWM controlled and monitored fans, all being powered by a Seasonic X650 Gold PSU which has its own Sanyo Denki PWM controlled fan, with the incoming current being filtered and backed up by my APC BackUPS XS1000, all in a very cold room.

There were also several other people who reported this before GU8, and it was largely ignored.

The other people on here with random reboots and undervolted RAM etc are probably experiencing the effects of whatever is causing this, but not monitoring when it happens.
  8. SpikeDevil420

are u seriously that stupid ? during the loading ,textures are being loaded and being processed by both the cpu and the gpu (mostly the whole game is getting loaded as after the loading u can see all the textures, models etc that were processed during the loading screen.) thats why they get a bit hot. when i read the op's post i couldn't stop laughing. :D
  9. Duvenel

Who exactly? I've not heard about this being as big an issue as you're making it out to be, at least not a widespread one(hardware damage is pretty serious).
  10. BlackDove

Well if the forum's search didn't suck as bad as the game's optimization, I'd be able to find the threads. There were some about people getting 99% GPU utilization on the map screen only for some reason.

And your theory about my computer being dusty or something doesn't work, since the unusually high usage occurs on the map screen, not when a bunch of complicated graphics are being rendered on the screen.
  11. Virulent0o

@OP, do you have vsync turned on?

If yes, the run FRAPS to monitor your frame rate while on map screen. If it is higher than your monitor's refresh rate, then you need to manually force vsync in your nvidia control panel. This will solve the problem of your card trying to draw 250 frames (PS2's frame limit) per second, causing it to heat up.

If no, then turn vysnc on and repeat the above.
    • Up x 1
  12. BlackDove

Yes, I have Vsync on. I don't own Fraps, sorry. I have max FPS set to 60 and I also have Adaptive Vsync on in the drivers.
  13. Virulent0o

You can get FRAPS free here: http://www.fraps.com/
    Run it to see if PS2 is actually listening to your vsync @ 60 fps. If not, then you need to log an official ticket to SOE about this bug.

Out of curiosity, what temps are you getting during the map screen?
  14. BlackDove

It gets up to 70C on the map screen. Very rarely will it get up to that in the actual game. It usually does in areas where it's glitching or studdering. I have an i5-2320, 16GB RAM and a GTX 660Ti.
  15. Duvenel

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ocking-while-playing-ps2.121780/#post-1669607
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...owly-broken-planetside-2.121055/#post-1647199
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...n-seems-to-cause-gpu-temp-spike.119230/page-2
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...-after-last-update.117410/page-2#post-1624392
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...due-to-overheating.117485/page-2#post-1593887
    Found these after doing a search for map+temperature using the advanced searches option of searching only in threads and posts.

First thread seems that it was due to a fault on the OP not keeping their hardware in good order. I think I only saw 1 other person actually confirm that they were getting a heavy increase in GPU load on map screens specifically. Also a TSR said that they were seeing a rise in the issue you're talking about, but these threads are the only threads I can find about the issue and it seems that you've already posted in most of them...But I believe that these are the threads that you were probably looking for.

Anyway I don't have a fix and it doesn't seem that the TSR updated the thread, so either they have no new information on the issue or they've forgotten. Anyway, might be an idea to send that TSR a PM. Also if you can't find a thread you want, but you know you've posted in a thread before you can go and hover over your name in the header at the top of the forum and use the 'Your Content' link. But the case is either you're one of the few people checking and noticing that the map is causing an issue or it's just affecting a few people, at least that's what I think. If it was as serious an issue as you're saying it is, the forums would be in uproar by now from all of the angry players that have had their hardware melted or have noticed issues.

Hope you find a fix soon, see you on the battlefield :)
  16. BlackDove

I just spent 20 minutes using Google and the POS search feature on this forum. Everything is aggravating, not intuitive, and poorly designed. Right down to the fact that the forum login doesn't put your cursor in the first text box like every other website you have to login to automatically does. Here's what I could find.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/98-gpu-load-character-selection-screen.61234/

In addition to that, there were threads about people having 99% GPU load with character select, viewing a model of a weapon and other screens with 2D effects in them. There's something about the 2D effects that seems to make the GPU spike to 99% usage, and that's not right.

I even set the stupid max FPS to 60 in the ini file since it's set to like 1000 by default(WTF KIND OF IDIOT MAKES THAT THE DEFAULT!?).

I'm sick of this ****. I'm also sick of no one paying attention to issues like this, but stupid issues getting instant response.

If one does get a response, it's the generic BS one too. Submit a ticket and sorry for any inconvenience. This issue goes back MONTHS. There should be some way for them to analyze why a 2D screen causes 99% GPU usage on high end GPU's with multiple sets of drivers.
  17. Athanasius

Amen to that. They really should change that default to 120, maybe 125 for some leeway, to accommodate people with 120Hz monitors. But there's no reason to have it as 1000, especially after the debacle over Starcraft 2's menus causing peoples' hardware to get damaged due to running at stupidly high FPS.

I do find it interesting that you have now set it to 60 and still see the problem though. Maybe this points to the MaximumFPS code being of the nature "We've just rendered a frame, do we need it to hit MaximumFPS? No, OK discard and start on the next one", rather than "is the delta between this frame and the last sufficiently low, with some wiggle room, to hit MaximumFPS on average?". The former would cause the high load despite only displaying the requested number of frames, and thus FRAPS etc will report 60FPS when the code is actually rendering more. The other option might, however, cause some stuttering.

Only an SOE dev can answer as to how it's meant to work.
  18. BlackDove

Good luck getting on of them to respond.

I wonder if their Quardos have melted yet.
  19. Jea

Hi,

Look in the "my pictures" folder of windows and remove all the temp files (and not your pictures of course). It should fix your problem.
  20. BlackDove

There aren't any...