MAP FREEZ SOLVED!!!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Unnger, Dec 19, 2012.

1. maroscz

Win7 HP64, game installed on same partition as the system, had the issue, deleting 0b files from MyPictures directory right now (65k of them).
  2. MooseDeuce

You can search your machine for *.tmp to find all temp files.
    (windows key + E on your machine will have "search computer" at the upper right)
    You should see some .tmp files in \Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Temp
    A few temp files are normal, but thousands are not.
    It is possible your game is freezing for some other reason and if that's the case then hopefully the upcoming update will fix it for you.
  3. TOP-Proto

heres what i see in here

those with windows XP get the temp files
    those without do not.

sounds to me like its an XP issue
  4. TOP-Proto

also press start type %temp% hit enter thats your windows temp folder location.
  5. Aege

You guys weren't supposed to notice this. It's likely either a random left over piece of code being triggered by something specific that a dev was using for something, or it's one of their hidden anti-cheat measures probably snapping screenshots when triggered.

Oops. Forgot the wink. ;)
  6. Konfuzfanten

Also got this: 65000 files in the picture folder.
    Running windows 7 with 8 GB ram...
  7. CrackTheMachine

Got the same problem for Windows 7 x64, AMD Phenom II X4 955, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon 5850
    PS2 installed on the same physical device but different partition.
    As someone mentioned earlier, the main problem here is that the fat32 limit for files in a folder is 2^16, once that limit is reached, we are getting problems. I dont know what popped into their minds when they thought creating tmp files in the users "my pictures" directory would be a good idea...
    This problem is solely caused by PS2, there is no way to deny that. The behavior can easily be reproduced by those affected and yet, after several months since the problem first showed up, nothing has changed. I dont know the exact fault causing this, but I imagine it should not be too hard to fix this...
  8. BenYeeHua

Yes, change your UserName.
    Or
    Change the location of your "My Picture" to other folder like C:\123;)
  9. Zaxudih

I'm experiencing the map issue and I can not find any temp files. I tried reinstalling the game but that didn't fix it either. Has anyone else experienced the map freeze issue without the temp files?
    Running it on windows 8.
  10. NouvelleVoix

I too am consistently suffering from this problem (Win 8 x 64), but there are no .tmp files in my My Pictures folder (presumably because I changed the Libraries around, but perhaps not). It's a pretty straight forward problem: for the first ~30 minutes of play every time I log in, the map is incredibly unresponsive. ~3-5 seconds to open up the map or spawn screen, the same to zoom in or out... absolutely nightmarish, especially since I check the map a LOT. But around ~30 minutes of time logged in (29 minutes 52 seconds this last time, I think), it suddenly becomes way more responsive with ~1-2 second map/spawn screen load times and no delay whatsoever for zooming. Anyone have any ideas? (Yes, Planetside 2 is installed on another partition and another drive -- but I've never had this problem before a few weeks ago.)
  11. BenYeeHua

Ram?
  12. Istrebljivach

13. Stadulator

Which is exactly why you're not having an issue with it.

The root cause is in the post from Razerkill. Regardless of his horrible grammar, his conversation with tech is the solution:

"SOE : Currently, from what I can see, the main issue with PlanetSide 2 directly that would cause a performance issue would be the current installation location as it is trying to transfer data between two drives and can also cause syncing issues."

So, if your OS is on one drive, and PS2 is on another you're going to have this problem

NOTE: Partitions act as separate drives. If your OS is on a main partition with PS2 on a secondary, you'll have this issue.
  14. Philip D.

Same problem here on Win7... Deleting TMP's helps) Ty very much)
  15. Warmuro2

30 minutes ago i contacted SOE technical support staff. They still deny the problem and want us to accept it as if it's a normal thing which must be happen.
  16. PozoNegro

u must see in the map 'pictures' from windows self, and there they are.. delete them..problem solved, for a while that is...
  17. PozoNegro

I
    I don't understand..
  18. Reavenant

This should in theory fix the problem, yet if it's in the code it will only give a little bit more time before it happeness again...I wonder if there's some way to edit an ini file or other to make a workaround...????
  19. Vuzi

I have exactly the same issue, but I can't delete any of theses tmp files. I've monitored the game, and I can see that it's creating a lot of files (In fact the game write them down, then open them. I'm pretty sure that how the game map works) :
    [IMG]

As you can see my pictures folder is located on another drive. The game is also located on another drive (I'm using an SSD for Windows, can't put a 15Gb game on it).

The fun thing is that I CAN'T delete thoses files. I can't see them in the picture folder, even showing hidden files, and the DOS command DEL can't delete them :

[IMG]
    (Yep I'm french, the promp is just saying that it can't find any file matching "*.tmp" )

I'm running out of solutions. The game is still playable, even if the map have those horribles freezes...
  20. noobindo

Try this:
    Open notepad.
    Paste this - del tmp????.tmp
    Save as anyname.cmd in Pictures folder
    Open Pictures folder and run this file

If fail, run it as administrator.