Light Assault class its banned from competitive gameplay

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by terranhawk, Apr 21, 2014.

1. doombro

Light Assaults are the class I usually take when I want to change the outcome of a battle.

Once, we were trying to defend a biolab. The attackers had locked down the shield generator building, however, they were completely focused on the entrance near the SCU, knowing we would primarily push through there. So, I pulled light assault, went to that door, took a left before they could take me down, jumped on top of the bridge, got behind their defenses, and destroyed their turret blockades in one fell swoop. At this point, the rest of our defending force breached the building and cleared out the attackers.

That would have been much harder to do as any other class, and I doubt I would have considered it.
  2. Posse

In a direct firefight a HA will be better, but the LA is much better at flanking, they just fill a different type of killing role. At killing vehicles, it also depends on the situation, obviously against aircraft they're useless.

Funny, because when I go for a C4 sundy kill, I usually get 2 or 3 kills in the process, plus the sundy kill, in one try.

And I'm a guy playing in a team that made it to the NA finals of the Community Clash (and yes, I've played all the matches), I know what I'm talking about

Guess what class makes it the easiest to kill without being seen? Yes, LA. You might say infiltrators, but you actually have time between hearing the decloaking sound and when he starts firing. And no, even those good HAs don't have time to react against a good LA. Playing HA I found that my best counter against LAs is just don't let them gain the upper hand, and playing as LA I found that there's no HA that can react in time if I don't mess up.

Of course, I'm talking about CQC engagements, long range engagement need more positioning than flanking, especially because carbines are weak at longer ranges.

First step to becoming better is admiting where you lack something, if your outfit is not using LAs it's only because they don't have no idea how to use them, and yes, they'll be terribad in a competitive environment if they don't recognize that and work towards introducing LAs in their squad composition.

If it's underpowered, how is it that my stats with the Zenith (gotta love that weapon) and the VX6-7 are much better than my stats with the Orion (both KDR and KPM) considering my experience with the Orion is much more extensive (top 5 in kills worldwide with the Orion against not even 2k kills with those 2 carbines combined)?

I don't see how LA is underpowered, it has a higher skill floor without a doubt because it's not a run and gun class but its potential when used properly, is equal or, in some bases, greater than the HA.

If you buffed it, I'd have a picnic while playing LA, and that's coming from a guy that only uses LA in very specific places where I consider I would be more effective as LA (which in part is due to my lack of experience with the class). I don't even want to imagine what would guys like Vonic do with a more powerful LA.

"Rarer situation"? Did you even play a competitive match? Because good outfits in RCCC use beacons much more intensively than the average outfit in the live server.
  3. MuchachoBob

Death: the most effective distraction.
    • Up x 4
  4. SuperMedicated

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  5. Llaf

I totally agree with everything you've said thus far and I hate to be that guy, but...

Keep in mind that the less data you have for any given weapon, the more skewed the stats can become. The more data you have for a weapon, the better that data averages out. If I had 300 kills with X weapon and 50 deaths, and 20,000 kills with Y weapon and 4000 deaths, it's much easier to attribute X weapon's data to luck or some kind of fluke than Y weapon's, and, conversely much easier to attribute Y weapon's stats to a real representation of that particular players skill than luck.
  6. Mianera

In competitive play? Really? I don't believe you. I do believe that you do that on live servers, but not against a skilled outfit.

Nice! What outfit you from, what was your K/D and what place did your Outfit take? :)

Again, in CQC anyone with first hand spot and a shotgun typically wins. I'm not saying killing a HA is impossible. But there are again too many factors to take into account. I wasn't saying that the HA vs LA has a better kill potential, I'm still just trying to say that the HA has a wider kill potential towards everything.

LA's do have a function in the outfit, but they are rarely used. Mostly for dispatching other LA's, getting rid of sniping Infils or removing a beacon in a place they only can get to or get to faster. But unless one of those scenarios presents itself, they are typically not allowed.

I have no idea what your personal skill is with the individual weapons. Besides, just because you are best at playing LA doesn't mean that the average reality and player is.

Secondly, there is the faction comparison. Which is really hard to make, because the factions are not equal and the weapons are very different and react differently in different situations. I have no idea what you are trying to point out other than to boast that you are good at using some VS gun. There is also the learning and skill curve to take into account and there are different opinions on how to even approach that topic. But the fact remains that the LA still fills the least amount of roles. Now stop arguing that damn fact. Every class can offer more.

I know that skilled, MLG and pro players keep saying that "its all about who kills the most" and sure, there is truth in that but the reality from the average player is very different and those things NEED to be taken into account. You cannot just basically ignore and make a class that requires a certain amount of skill in order to be effective and leave the majority of the player base to rot. For gods sake, it is the recommended starting class for most new players.

Even though I have explained it, I doubt you will see the very valid point I am trying to make here. Sigh.
  7. hawken is better

I've always thought that Light Assault was a cheesy, easymode class. Saying that LA isn't "effective" couldn't be further from the truth.
  8. The Rogue Wolf

It sounds to me like the OP's outfit leader doesn't actually trust the members to practice cohesion and teamwork naturally and is trying to rigidly enforce it. I know I'd quit an outfit that enforced rules like that immediately.

As for the Light Assault class itself- its value comes from the fact that people never, ever look up, and always think linearly. I've scored plenty of killstreaks from the trees, the top of a hill or even just a cozy nook in a wall; I've used the superior maneuverability to take out MAXes solo with nothing but my carbine. I definitely accept that the class needs some help to give it more "synergy" with the other classes, but playing LA isn't just for the "lone wolf"; having three or four LAs initiate a flank while the rest of your squad storms the front can be an excellent way to break the enemy's defense.
    • Up x 1
  9. SuperMedicated

that's infiltrator mate
    • Up x 3
  10. crusaderx11

light assaults are great for squad leads, you can put your beacons in places only other light assaults can reach them from. light assaults aren't team players? they're the next best thing after maxes at taking out an entrenched enemy position. sundy hunting? light assaults. Stopping enemy maxes? light assaults. flanking the enemy? light assaults. we do what we're supposed to do, fill out the role of being the most mobile and maneuverable infantry class. this guy is a C4 fairy for life!
  11. Posse

The Zenith's stats can possibly be skewed, I'll concede that since I only have 200 kills with it (I doubt that's the case though since I feel it's my favourite Carbine already, but we'll see in a few weeks). I don't think that applies to the VX6-7, between Waterson and Mattherson I have more than 1.5k kills with it, at that point I'd expect any luck factors to have been neutralized by the large numbers. If there's a factor that might make those stats biased, it's the fact that I only use LA when I feel I can do better than if I played HA, because overall, I consider myself much better as HA than as LA, I just mentioned those numbers only to show that the potential of the class shouldn't be underestimated.

Oh, I personally don't use LA in competitive play since I'm better as HA (it's my main class for a reason) for competitive play (and there are far better LAs in my outfit than me), since you talked about K/D I thought you were talking about live.

It's in my sig, lol. We're going to play the NA finals this weekend, and, if you're asking about my K/D for comp, as I said, I didn't play LA for comp, so it's irrelevant, but if you want to look at the potential of the class, I'll just tell you that the guy with the most kills in all our Community Clash rounds was a guy that played LA.

Yes, HA is more all around, that's obvious, and that's why a good squad composition (except for some rare cases) has more HAs than LAs, I don't argue against that, but that doesn't mean you're not gimping yourself if you don't use 1 or 2 LAs in your squad.

The funny thing is that despite those numbers, I'm pretty sure I'm better as HA :D

As I said before, it's just different than the other classes, there are 3 "killing" classes in the game:

HA: Good at all distances, excels at mid range, bad at flanking. Good at killing vehicles from mid to long range.

LA: Great at CQC, decent at mid range, useless at long range. The best at flanking and killing vehicles at close range, the best for setting beacons and destroying them.

Infil: Not bad at CQC, but still the worst of the 3 killing classes, better than LA at mid range, at the best at long range. Not as good as LA for flanking kills, can't kill vehicles but can hack terminals/turrets and offer radar detection

As I see it, each of the classes has its particular strength at killing, and different additional roles, and every single one of them is important for a squad. The particularities of Infil and LA additional roles make it a "specialized" class instead of an "all around" one, but that's how the game was designed, and it's fine that way, it doesn't make HA better or worse than LA or Infil.

Well, being the recommended starting class is a mistake from the devs. And I don't see the problem with it having a higher skill floor, I started by playing HA (which is still my main), and picked LA after learning how to play the game, not before. The way LA is made, you need to know the layout of the bases to be able to play it, if you change that, you're killing the class as it is right now.
  12. KnightCole

Maybe in squads its not amazing, but its a prefectly fine class for harassment and being a general pain in the ***. Flying around towers or flanks. Appearing out of nowhere. Getting up a mountain side and drilling units in the *** when they are focused forward towards the enemy lines.

Only thing kinda kills em is small scale battles where hte WWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH of the jetpack is a dead give away....

But as for its usefulness and fun factor, LA is pretty awesome.

Only clowns who think they can JJ straight into a tank's gun barrel and think they will not die. Or guys who JJ across an HA's field of fire and survive...guys who somehow thik the JJ is a magical anti everything shield will not like the LA.

i have been nuked up the *** by plenty of LA who jump off roof tops when im focusing across a field or something.
  13. Rougen

Lol there aren't any rules as to what is or isn't wrong, every zooms in when suppressing a base at some point...
  14. Krayus_Korianis

Why pray tell, do we need to know that your outfit doesn't like Light Assault? Because they can use shotguns and C-4 and be fairies upon you with Death From Above? Probably call hax on'em when one kills you.
  15. Nehlis

I'm pretty sure LAs are supposed to be dedicated flankers...
  16. DrPapaPenguin

If people whine about your class being useless, but you can't hear them over the"GODDAMN C4 FAIRIES!!!" cooming from the wreck of that sundy, does it even matter?
    • Up x 1
  17. Hoki

Rofl

I wouldn't be against some LA buffs, they should have a few more nice things, but it's my second fav class and my #1 for assaulting a base.
  18. NC_agent00kevin

LAs are an excellent class. They can infiltrate better than Infiltrators at times. They can sit on a comfy little perch with some of the best guns in the game and slaughter the opposition. They can deal with Maxes easily. They can destroy tanks easily. They can get into places no other class can.

I used to dismiss LA in my earlier battle ranks but play a lot more of it in the later ranks. They are one of the most versatile classes in the game.
    • Up x 1
  19. BillHaverchuck

Light Assaults are useless in a squad. However a squad full of LAs as part of a larger platoon (cause without engis and medics you are dead) can be a special mission squad with extreme mobility that can cause chaos from every flank.
    • Up x 3
  20. Bl4ckVoid

I do not understand. Why do you want to join an outfit led by stupid people?
    • Up x 2