Light Assault class its banned from competitive gameplay

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by terranhawk, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Rougen

It seems most people disagree with the OP's outfit views tbh. But I can see that perhaps they believe it isn't part of playing as a team, that is, if they get a lot of random LA's that just go off and do their own thing.

To be honest, it is easy to get carried away when LA, but then people just need to make sure they are working to support the squad in terms of a tactical advantage.
  2. Rougen

So you are telling me that with the 1000's of mountains and rocks around the maps that a 'competent' tank driver can always see a LA dropping in on top of them whilst zoomed in on a target and firing at them?

Are you saying you have never been killed with C4?
  3. Aegie

Can someone post a pick of a choke point that can only be flanked by LA?

Seems to me that if you're outdoors you could flank with an aircraft if you want to flank with flying ability.

I have yet to see an indoor area where flanking requires a jetpack to be effective- most indoor areas are built such that the jetpack is useless.

IMO, slow-mo defenseless Luigi jump is overrated for everything but dropping C4. The class could be so much more and a lot more fun.

Sure, LA can be deadly but only as deadly as the person is good at basic FPS skills, like aiming/shooting and positioning. The same person who makes for a deadly LA makes for a deadly any class- the jetpack just makes it a bit more fun, IMO.

You do not need a LA to get into good, out of the way, elevated positions. True, the jetpack makes it easier and there are some places that you are unlikely to find yourself without LA (unless you game it and really want to get there) but these positions are hardly game changers.

If they removed LA entirely the only thing people would really miss would be the dropping of C4- game play would hardly be affected, especially in comparison to removing classes like medic or engineer.

I get that a lot of people feel otherwise and that is cool.

I'm at the point now where I wish they would just give jetpacks to all the basic infantry so at least jetpacking could be made better and we could have things back like meaningful mid-air duels.
  4. Aegie

Only in biolabs- you can farm LAs on roof tops pretty easily with any competent air resource.

Or with snipers for that matter.
  5. Kinan Eldari

Alright. A little addendum for you then; "when they have an opportunity to take out a tank, or go out of their way to create one,"
  6. Posse

Assuming you have air superiority...

There should always be a few LAs though you'll obviously see more HAs since they're supposed to be the backbone of any squad/platoon.
  7. Aegie

And if you do not then you probably do not want to be sitting on a rooftop with virtually no ability to harm the opposing air force.
  8. H4YW1R3

Light Assault is worthless now. I loved it when I first started playing P2. It was my favorite class. Now, with all the nerfs to CoF and ADS while jumping (flying), the only thing it's good for is placing or taking out beacons, bailing out of aircraft, and dying where medics can't reach. Hell, they had to revamp some of the Amp Stations with a horrible design that protects the attackers (which is a ridiculous concept for a base) just to get people to play them.

Light "Assault" is supposed to be a soldier trained to use a jet pack. Yet he's no better at firing while flying (jumping) than anyone else. The jet pack is the only thing that makes him unique. Other classes have multiple things (not counting grenades). The other classes just have so much more to offer, period.

All but useless. Not surprised that those competitive players, who take the game more serious, ban them from their teams/squads/platoons.
  9. SharpeShooter

Im glad I'm not in goon o_O I only play LA! Best class! Terrible for team play indeed, but I normally flank the enemies when my team mates go head on, in that respect LA is not bad for team play.
  10. Astealoth

I've run all LA squads before. Buzzing around like a swarm of bees in a tower being a group nuisance. It's quite hilarious.
    • Up x 1
  11. Titan6

Anyone who doesn't us LA in a Biolab fight is just silly. Controlling the tops of the buildings is critical.
  12. Kanil

I die to C4 about once every 10 hours in my vehicles, and I'm a pretty bad tanker. You literally just have to press T. Once you get into the habit of using first person only to line up your shot and fire, you will spend about 95% or more of your time in third person. LAs are comically easy to spot in third person, and you will not die to them.

T, aim, fire, T, reload, repeat. Bam, C4 hard countered.

So yeah, any competent tank driver can always see an LA dropping in on them.
    • Up x 2
  13. Mxiter

I rarely ask LA when i'm leading, but when i do, the sundy(s) that receive 12-24C4 rarely survives.
  14. Graylin

I'm always happy to have LA's in my squad and for squad leaders it's a must (spawn beacons need to be hard to get to).
    The flanking attack to give other members of the squad an opening to get in is quality. However the LA's do have to keep an eye on the squad to work effectively.
    • Up x 1
  15. NucNuc

Wow, so much black/white here.

LA has it´s spot in the game where it shines. It really depends on the situation.
    the 24 vs 24 of the commclash is hardly a good competitive measurement for PS2. It should be at least 48vs48. And then again it depends of the lane that is fought over.

If you want to hold 1 point, of course you take your MAX2/engie2/medic3/rest HA setup. But if you are defending a LA can be a viable asset IF the terrain plays to his strength. Biolabs, tower-based bases, elevated capture points, the LA simply shines. Have fought the defenders back into their towers? Harrass them in the tower with LAs before the enemy makes a viable push to the points.

An outfit that says no to LA is stupid. The community clash is also too much in favor of air superiority simply because of numbers (1 squad infantry the other one air is hardly PS2).

LA is in a good spot, although i wouldn´t mind if he gets a directly visible teamutility.
    • Up x 1
  16. Posse

So? Air superiority is important in competitive gameplay, that doesn't mean LAs are useless, if the enemy doesn't have air superiority LAs can easily kill from the roofs.
  17. terranhawk

When i said my guild doenst use LA i mean as a combat role over HA they use it but in very rare situations and then that player is asked to switch to HA again thats what i mean thats is a very situational class and beign one of the 3 pure combat classes its should have something to make it usefull apart from placing beacons or detsroy sunderers
  18. JudgeDeath

If your mission is the sit on a mountaintop and rain down missiles ... Light assault is propably not the way to go. If you are doing a max or vehicle rush, again light assault is prolly not the way to go.

Never heard of a platoon or squad where they would kick light assaults just because of light assaults.
  19. Codex561

LA is like the only class I played. On dasanfall stats it says I only got one main class
  20. Aegie

So what? LA on the rooftops a problem? Then go up to the roof (since the vast majority have stairway access) and shoot them. Rooftops do not have stairways? Send 1 liberator with 2 crew and farm them with impunity.

If you want death from above get an aircraft.

Not really sure why you really want to be on the rooftop anyway- no rooftops have objectives located on them in the first place, for the most part all the important places are indoors.

Even in biolabs the relevant locations are the gen room (cannot shoot in there from the rooftops) and the SCU (cannot really shoot in there very well from the rooftops either). If people are spending any significant time outside the rooms within the biolab then they already have it locked down or they are doing it wrong. LA in a biolabs can be fun, no doubt, just more like a mini game since all that activity is a bit irrelevant.

I never said LA was useless- I just said it is only as effective as the basic FPS skills the player has and if the player has good basic FPS skills (aiming/shooting and positioning) then they are probably better off playing any other class. Why? Well, because 1) there are very few LA exclusive areas, 2) within those areas there are fewer still that are meaningful locations from a game play perspective and 3) other classes have more tools and abilities that have larger impacts on the outcome.

Sure, you can get in a funky place and shoot unaware players from your perch but that is just not that effective at securing any in-game objective. Outside that you have the ability to drop C4- strong, to be sure, but also a bit boring and gimmicky.