Light Assault class its banned from competitive gameplay

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by terranhawk, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Rift23

Your outfit sucks.
    • Up x 2
  2. Cinnamon

Your outfit sound like tryhards following some rules given to them by other people.
    • Up x 2
  3. Posse

Because those outfits/squads are bad and don't understand how to use the class.
  4. SuperMedicated

so you got killed in a tank by c4 eh?
    • Up x 3
  5. Llaf

Because the LA class has a higher-than-average skill ceiling, the average player usually can't accomplish anything more significant with the LA than they can with other classes. It takes a good player and a bit of a different understanding of how to maneuver across the battlefield to make the LA class really shine. Platoon leaders for the average outfit tend to prefer more "traditional" methods and usually forgo utilizing the LA simply because either they don't know how to utilize the class within their squad, or no one in the squad is capable of utilizing the class.

I honestly feel like the LA is significantly under-utilized simply because most people don't see the true potential it has both in the hands of one good player or many average ones. LA could use a little more utility, yes, but using the jetpack properly can yield some fantastic results.
    • Up x 4
  6. Rougen

LOL so true, forgot that one, LA is the only class for placing a decent spawn beacon!
  7. Mianera

I agree with the OP.

The LA is currently either a 100% solo class or used for taking down enemy vehicles. It's not really any good at either one. The HA outclasses it and outmatches it in every aspect. Firefights, teamplay, vehicle destruction, suppressive fire etc.

The only thing it is slightly better at is getting someplace a little bit faster. So it gains a +10-30 seconds on the HA because of its flight ability in order to get to a objective faster. But sooner or later it will have to fight and there it will get shot down most likely by a heavy.

The LA is underpowered, useless but greatly challenging and fun to play. As for competitive play, I never see a light assault in Outfit battles and they are not allowed in either of the three outfits that I am part on every faction.

PS: Dual wielding can go frak itself.
    • Up x 4
  8. Mootar

A well played LA can be one of the most powerful factors in any infantry battle, anyone who would rather have 1 more HA spamming a choke point instead of a competent flanker to break said choke point is a complete ****, I would consider it a lucky escape to be kicked from a squad being lead by such a muppet.

A good LA is a must have in any competent squad that has a clue.
  9. Baconite

If anything, LA should be MORE effective in competitive play. The tactical scenarios that LA open up are endless.

Taking a tech lab point: 3-6 LA come in from the sides while the main force attacks the balcony/stairwells. Focused on the two doors/stairs, the LA's jump up onto the railing and start shooting all the medics in the back and C4'ing MAX'es.

Competitive play still has plenty of room to evolve. The first team to successfully implement LA in timed attacks, door breaches, and point rushes will dominate. I think the fatal flaw is thinking "What can 1 LA do in a competitive match?" The question people should be asking is "What can 4-6 LA do in a competitive match?" Now that's scary.
    • Up x 2
  10. Posse

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

If you play it correctly you'll kill a HA before he sees you.

And I'm pretty sure none of those outfits made it to the finals of the Community Clash ;)

Lol, you should consider changing outfits because they're terribad if they don't allow them.
    • Up x 3
  11. Kinan Eldari

Let me put it this way: One heavy assault vs an enemy heavy tank, or a light assault with C4? Who do you think has (with sufficient skill) any chance of taking it out on his/her own within a reasonable amount of time?

Here's a hint; it's not the heavy assault.

To elaborate. You would need at least 2 heavy assaults to be able to take a tank down quickly enough, never mind a sunderer! And preferably you'll have 3 or 4 of them to do the job. The heavy's rocket launcher solo? Eh, you could take a MAX, maybe, if you hit it dead on. LA? C4. Sundy? 2 packets of C4 and then all someone else has to do is sneeze on it. Compare that to all the HA who have to work their way through quickly spawning enemies at their sunderer's position, who will probably die in the onslaught and would only have given the enemy ample certs.

No sir, discouting LA like you are doing is just plain wrong. Yes, they're more prone to be lone wolves. But that's exactly the kind of guys who can scare the heck out of your enemies long enough for your main squad to push them out.
    • Up x 2
  12. terranhawk

and the outfits that made it to the finals did it without using LA.....so?
  13. Randomplayer11

Heheh funy thread , and outfit musy be same :D
    They just use Tanks and Libs , if you no in Tank they kick you from outfit hahahaha
  14. Rougen

LA's can easily kill heavies in open spaces, you just need to remember to hip fire over their head and drop quick instead of using the noob strafe method that every single other class has to use. HA will win toe to toe with Medic and Eng much quicker than a LA imo. But that doesn't mean they are useless either.

In larger groups it can cause complete panic and as you kill several and watch others hitting their own team mates trying to kill you.

LA isn't even my most played class, but the few times an evening I use it, it is always very useful.
  15. Posse

What outfits? We use them, INI does too, and if you look at the killcount from our 2 matches, the guy who had the most kills in every single one of them played LA.
    • Up x 1
  16. Stargazer86

The LA feels more like a solo-class simply because it has no standard squad support items. It can't heal, it can't repair, it doesn't have rockets, it seems as if it's only used to kill infantry.

Now, this is true to an extent, but what people don't understand is that LA's provide two crucial abilities. The first is that a pair of LA's working together can kill an enemy Sunderer. There have been many times where a friend and I have worked in tandem to chuck 4 C4 onto a particularly troublesome AMS that's been hidden out of sight. We float down from a tower, jetpack over some rocks, and nail the thing that's constantly spawning enemy infantry, something that no other class can do. Very important.

The second is that LA's are great in a combined assault. If you're attacking a base with no LA's, the enemy are free to sit up on the walls with impunity, shooting at you from towers as you try to run up past and around the gates. An LA, however, can just jetpack up and murderize them. LA's attacking these positions is vital in allowing the rest of your team to advance. Without Light Assault's flanking and harassing, everyone else's job becomes that much harder. They come in through the doors that the enemy doesn't expect. They're the ones shooting at you, harrying you from rooftops. Don't under-estimate how effective this can be as long as it's combined with a push from your team.
    • Up x 3
  17. Pirbi

I don't get these people that say LA is not a team class. I've even seen LA complain about their class being limited. I think it comes from people that play HA 90% of the time and then try to run straight at an enemy as a LA. They first figure out the F key doesn't work and then get shot in the face and decide it's useless.
    • Up x 2
  18. terranhawk

really? i must rewatch the match them my bad all i saw was heavies etc i dont remember to see people flying around but the game was streamed zoomed out mostly in that case what role did they fill? did they stayed LA the whole match or just in certain situations?
  19. MarkAntony

lol without LAs you are just giving the rooftops to the enemy without even contesting them. Bad mistake. baaaaad baaad baaaaaaaad.
    • Up x 3
  20. Kanil

Neither. A competent tanker does not allow an LA to get within melee range to deliver the C4, nor does he stray far enough away from cover that he can be shot by several rockets without a chance to repair.