Liberator REALLY OP now

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by rockhead101, Mar 13, 2014.

1. LibertyRevolution

Because they take 2 or 3 people to use... while you can solo in your MBT and farm to a 10+K/D..
    • Up x 1
  2. ColonelChingles

Well, since you asked so nicely...

In the 1982 Lebanon War the Israelis downed Syrian Gazelle helicopters with 105mm cannon.

US M1 tankers used to be trained to hit the frontal shapes that represent the forward silhouette of helicopters.

Soviet and Chinese tanks can fire 125mm missiles out of their main cannon, and those can easily engage low-flying or hovering aircraft.

The problem with most recent engagements is that there haven't been many military conflicts where one side can field tanks and the other side can field helicopters. You're pretty much stuck with the early Arab-Israeli Wars, the Iran-Iraq War, and maybe some other tiny conflicts.

So has an A-10 been hit by a MBT cannon? Nope. Is the MBT cannon designed to hit low-flying aircraft? Nope.

But has it happened and are some tankers trained to try? Heck yes.

See, in PS2 the Vanguard AP shell travels at... 275 m/s. In the real world a 120mm M829 shell speeds along at 1,670 m/s and has an effective range of 3,000m. That's 6 times the speed of the Vanguard AP. Plus with computer-assisted aiming, hitting a hovering helicopter at close range would be fairly simple... and fatal.

It's just that in the real world attack helicopters in a dangerous situation tend to be rather speedy too... a bit smarter than PS2 pilots. ;) Which again, boils down to the fact that if you are being hit with tank cannon fire, you're probably moving too slowly/predictably and need to get moving!
    • Up x 6
  3. BITES

.... this is borderline drama queen, and honestly hilarious.

If the Liberator gets to fire off nearly two full mags of tank buster aka "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT NOISE" gun, while flying in a straight line AND the prowler is deployed .. that person should probably stop playing or maybe change to "hello kitty island" ... because they are TERRIBLE.
    • Up x 1
  4. Trudriban

well for one we'd be able to spend less money on condoms and more on SC so win/win in my books

I agree though those libs in particular are ********, and more people need to get some decent AA options earlier on specifically for them
  5. SacredRay

So much crying, every damn time.

At least now I can used my 1000 something certed Liberator and not get shot down in 5secs by *********.
    • Up x 1
  6. Sovereign533

There is currently a bug that can make stuff invulnerable -_-
  7. Akashar

Be sure that pilots feel the same way about you...
    • Up x 1
  8. Sirrace

Going along with your "tank shells are not AA" point, could you tell me how exactly an aircraft that is less armored than a tank should be able to withstand a weapon that specifically pierces through heavy armor? How does that make sense? That's likely saying a steak knife shouldn't be able to cut through butter because it's made to cut through something tougher.
    • Up x 1
  9. TheBloodEagle

Come on Terran Republic, you'd think being the conventional faction we'd be using more advanced versions of these rounds already...

[IMG]
  10. Akashar

Though I agree with some part of your post, may I tell you that while it is true that tanks shells travel fast, rockets or missiles from helicopter are fast and deadly too...
    It all comes down to the fastest one, the one with the first shot. So we can not make this game look too real, because we will have to agree to have 0.1 second ttk in order to do that. This is a game, while I like the fact that they tried to keep it close to reality, they have to draw a line somewhere. None of the bullet velocity are real in this game. The fighting range is not either. Planes already start fighting at 80 km today, that's ten times the size of the continents...

I have suggested the creation of an air only continent once, I would like to see it made, it would be cool.
  11. Pikachu

Planetside 2 has reduced the amount of realism in it's damage system over time. It's no strange nor much unfitting today to have such rules in the game. The appeal to realism in durability has always been a bit strange. Harasser>MAX>ESF... The rest of vehicles are about durable to relative to each other as you would expect based on what they resemble from real life, relative to general TTK in the game.
  12. Keyski

Uh oh, we've got a badass over here looking at stats and spm in idling zergside2

Sorry but I don't want to cert into a lib just so I can post on the forums to be in your super cool lib 'club'

I can however, speak on behalf of experience with the game and what my recruited friends also collectively think about the liberator.
    • Up x 8
  13. Coffee Hound

I was already annoyed how overpowered air-to-ground compared to ground AA. If this patch has has put the Liberators back to the nightmare of the old days, I'll just take another long break until it's fixed again.
    • Up x 7
  14. HadesR

Not logged in yet but that is my fear to .. It doesn't bode well if SOE have repeated the same mistake they made at launch.

But anyway *with a wink and tongue in cheek* no need to play fair versus Libs .. Pull a Gal and ram them out the skies :p All is fair in cheese and war
    • Up x 2
  15. Goden

That may take months. And who is to say they won't buff aircraft again later down the line? SOE seems obsessed with making aircaft the superior unit in the game - so much so that they put a serious dent in the player counts during the Amerish release back in beta (and into launch) when they SUPERBUFFED the hell out of the ESF. The player loss from that was so bad it lead to the need of a server merge.

It was/is only a matter of time until we start going down that path again.
    • Up x 4
  16. Emotitron

You can try to make this personal, but it isn't going to change anything. Libs are not SPM machines and they spend a great deal of time running and repairing. When they go on killing streaks, yes they are impressive - but that is not how libs spend most of their time.

You can't complain how OP something is if you have never tried it. All you know of Libs is what it is like when you are on the receiving end of one of those big streaks - you know nothing of how they spend the other 80% of their time.
    • Up x 2
  17. HadesR

Problem is they used to be at Launch .. They were severely broken and allowed numerous players to reach high BR's in superfast time due to their SPM ability.
    It's why they were brought in line ...

The fear is for those of us who played at that time is a return to those days .. Honestly it was not a fun experience and would seriously harm new player retention ..
    • Up x 4
  18. Coffee Hound

1000 whole certs!! I take it back - Liberators should be overpowered for that extreme cert cost! :eek:
    • Up x 2
  19. LT_Latency

They still have the same problem the always did. The best AA tools are NOT FUN to use.

AA max. Boring
    AA Turret Boring
    Lock on Boring.

Skyguard. Boring because you have to stay in hiding because any ground unit will tear you apart.

They all just have you sitting in one spot staring at the sky going pew pew pew getting very few kills and not using much skill.

They need to make some changes so ground units WANT to fight planes for FUN..
    • Up x 4
  20. pnkdth

Reason for the buff? New lib weapons, of course. Don't get too comfy lib pilots, I can already feel the nerfs coming your way. Be wary with how much SC you blow on your libs is all I'm saying.
    • Up x 1