Let me Keep my old Saron and make this "new one" a seperate weapon

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cortosis, May 22, 2013.

1. Edenwolf

Im sure full auto is reserved for close range, try seeing how effective it is with semi auto fire for long range and burst fire for medium.
  2. QuakerOatsMan

1. Then that was an advantage for the magrider that the devs thought was a disparity, especially since it had no drop. The saron's versatility as both an AI and AV weapon compared to all other secondaries is probably the biggest reason why they dropped such a contrasting change. The magrider does have more of an advantage at longer ranges because of its maneuverability, but that should not translate to them being a sniper tank. You can still shoot through the same cracks with the halberd and especially the post-nerf saron, just with less burst damage.

2. Again, the magrider shouldn't be a "sniper" tank. Anchor mode may allow the prowler to somewhat "snipe," but it is practically lancer/vortex bait for the VS, since being stationary is a huge tradeoff (imagine focusing deployed prowlers—they are easily identifiable/marked). The devs' decision to tweak the saron into the post-patch form is probably based on the fact that the saron is very similar to the halberd. But again, the one thing I can agree with you is that the changes were unannounced.

3. Ok then, I probably misinterpreted your message and tied it too closely to your buddy's since you posted in the same thread in a short time period. So is he angry because he can't farm "gunner bonuses" now or something?
    On another note, SOE does have the right to change the weapons and you too implicitly said so when you clicked "I agree." If SOE thinks a weapon is outdated or needs to be changed, they can do so. If a change is too radical according the player demands, they can reverse it or tweak it. I also play a VS character and I'm vouching for the saron change as a positive one that actually enables the magrider to do more. Even if you spent all those certs for "another saron," you're going to have pretty much a certed improved saron that is much stronger at close range (2.5x stronger burst than a saron if you factor in 200 ms full auto shots at close range compared to accurate semi-auto 500 ms shots).
  3. mindburst

4. Bearcat

As I mentioned in the Vehicle forum, while this change is arguably a buff for the Saron, it still irks me. I don't like spending certs/SC on an item and then have it's functionality changed to such a large extent. I get small balance tweaks, but this is a pretty big change to the weapon. We should be offered cert/SC refunds after changes like this.
  5. Quovatis

I maxed out my Saron spending many thousands of certs. It's been nerfed so much that I wish I could have all those certs back and put it in the Halberd now. Why such a drastic change??

I'm glad the PPA got some love though. Nobody used it.
    • Up x 2
  6. RealityWarrior

No they did NOT. They tried OTHER changes but not these
  7. Zcuron

The point of the video is that you will miss a lot at anything beyond 10m range at full auto.

As for long range, I shot close to as fast as possible without CoF messing up the aim in the beginning.
  8. Hunter_Killers

They also didn't mention the slight recoil it gained.

When are they putting up the test servers?

/e

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you could miss a tank parked next to you with several shots at 6 COF.
  9. Qaz

Right, and what's with the 2000 certs for reload speed that are useless now? what's with the almost 1000 certs for optics that are useless now?

This change is bad, and this weapon should be introduced as the Saron-B, a cqc variant of the proper saron.
    • Up x 2
  10. Shinrah

It had a delay, so between pressing the trigger and the shot going off you could end up aiming at something completely else. Only if your driver kept the Mag perfectly still and your target didn´t move was it rather easy to hit.
    That however, is not a realistic scenario. In most fights you are constantly moving, as are your targets. Every bump in the terrain or turn by your driver would impact your aim, making SRB infantry hits skillshots.
    Now you have to fire 3 times do the approximate DMG of one Shot previously. Effectively you do less dmg over all ranges except for pointblank. So unless you jam your MAG into a Prowlers **** you end up with less DMG, and do I really have to point out how bad an Idea it is to engage a Prowler in CQC. Vulcan gunner says: Hi EXP!
    • Up x 1
  11. Commandant Cleavage

8 pages of glorious vanu tears. Brb need a sippy cup.
  12. Izriul

As heavy with nano 5 - got 1 shot from first shot at 200m or so from the enforcer - Seems balanced.
  13. arumizy

What you want is a major anti-v weapon that can also snipe infantry. Sorry but the nerf was needed, no secondary should be near that powerful.
  14. Myka

Saron needed the awful fire delay removed and a slight projectile speed buff. It did not need a massive damage reduction.

Edit - My ******* word I just saw the video. The COF bloom is outrageous - can't hit **** with that even at point blank range. Unbelievable. First it's Lockdown MAXes with Bursters, now the Saron... could they **** on the VS any more with this patch?!
  15. The King

I've been killing a bunch with it at point blank range by holding it down...
    Obviously, you haven't tried it. Nearly 100% of the time, all 6 hit, once in awhile, 1 will miss.
  16. vrcarnage

Anything made to kill a tank should kill infantry in one shot. If someone shoots you in the face w/ an ap round it was a skilled shot and you deserved that death.

It's no different then the libs 1 shotting esf. I see people crying about it all the time but, yet the only time I have been nailed by a lib in an esf is when sitting on the ground. If that gunner / pilot has the skill to pop you then you deserves to die. After all it is an anti tank gun shooting a plane.

Not to mention the other secondaries can one shot infantry as well.

It boils down to stop being an easy target.
  17. Macchus

Magriders may be meant to snipe other MBT's , but the sauron is not an AI snipe turret ....
  18. LibertyRevolution

Saron is now useless and they increased the price on halberd to 750c!?
    Well thanks a bunch SOE...
  19. HellasVagabond

As many VS have stated most people used the Saron to snipe infantry on towers and generally infantry using Strikers and other missile launchers. That effectively means you were shooting at imobile targets (keeping a lock or dumbfiring is not easy when moving around so naturally they stand still).
    And then we have sniping MBTs/Sunderers and turrets from 300m away something which nothing else can do with such precision in the game. So really why are people still debating whether or not the Saron was OP ?
  20. illgot

what is up with the cone of fire?

If you fire more than once at full speed the second and any following shots goes crazy. I understand some deviation, but the spread is nuts and I don't see it being useful in any situation. VS tanks are about agility and maneuverability, no vehicle is going to get that close and doesn't want to get right next to the Magrider.