Infiltrators needs C4

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by ArcKnight, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Wolfwood82

Ok, correction, it's useless against me. Because to me it stands out like a soar thumb and pretty much screams "shoot me now".

1. Running shoulder to shoulder with the blind doesn't make it effective. I hunt you guys down all the time and that cloak doesn't really help to hide you. Kinda makes me laugh because I know I won't be shot at while I kill you. Btw I run on medium+ settings so you can't cry low settings on that.
    2. Does it? Oh that's right, DEVs are ******** and are only just now realizing all those embarrising mistakes are mistakes. Things like JJs being silent and cloaking being noisey. Sheesh I wonder what all that time I wasted in beta was really for?
    3. You had to pay certs/SC for that SMG right? How about that basic Sniper Rifle of yours? That's what defines the primary weapon of a class you see, the one you have to start with...
    4. I said they were handy in buildings. However they were also added late in the beta (I remember when they first came out, well after C4, maybe a couple of weeks before launch). And you comment on my imagination? I doubt you ever even thought to use them outside a base to cover your flanks and rear while... Sniping!
    5. No you can't, but this doesn't really solve that whole 100 less shield points (and thus more vulnerable) ordeal does it?
    6. I hope you wore elbow-length rubber gloves when you pulled this one out. For one thing, LMGs have been out since alpha (HWs since mid-late beta). For two, the launchers weren't a role changing weapon, HA has had the same role from Alpha to present, no deviation at all. How you equated that to hacking is well beyond me, celebrating the holiday a little early there?
    7. I did, and it makes as much sense here as it did there. I hope you washed your hands after that.
    8. Yes, imagination. You can use it however you want, but my guess is it's primary function was an early warning system for you since sniping (and this is from personal experience from both PS1 and 2) is rather involved and you have almost no situational awareness while scoped in.
    Infiltrator doesn't suck? Yet the last few days have been nothing but "LA are better at infiltrating then infiltrators!". You have fun harassing enemy facilities with your SMG set up and, well, I HAD fun flanking them.

Trouble is, your role is meaningless. Even the role you use the class for.

Oh and fascinating read...

Most Played Class: Engineer
    Most Played Vehicle: Scythe

Gee willickers... This is why I don't give a **** about personal player stats.

Now if you want stats that actually MEAN something when in an argument you can't win, you use general player stats... Unless of course they don't favor your arguments.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmUavphHXmIxdFhHUzJfN1VYalRnWS0xMnBUdTJpM1E&gid=33

Note the scores earned and average scores/min bits, also the characters and time played... Those are some fairly pathetic scores by the way, what HAVE you been doing? Oh that's right, nothing. Since sniping isn't something to base a class off of and running around bombing and gunning people down isn't an effing role now is it?

Infiltrators are snipers. Sniping isn't a role to base a class off of. You need a new role. Stop nerd fighting with someone who's trying to improve the quality of your class (going considerably out of his own way to do so I might add).
  2. MNO

It's like so I'll make it short, I skimped over your last half and it just seemed to be "waah stats are bad" - I also have a decent amount of Inf play time spread over three characters, not sure what my other class playtime has to do with much. Feel free to share your own though, I'm sure you have insane amounts of Infiltrator playtime to back up this vast amount of know-it-all.

1. 50% of the game isn't blind, it's just effective. I find it quite easy to spot infs too, yet I'm in the minority in this, as proven by how often using cloaking at close range has worked for me. And yea, I use High settings, and you're the only one doing any crying in this thread :( Waah.
    2. Pretty much, there are priorities, VS AI max weapons (the ones with intended use that have AI descriptions) have been the least effective weapons for AI until now, and that's since like beta - doesn't mean it was ever even remotely intended. You get hung up on this stuff a lot, to you, anything that isn't fixed or isn't perfect is a sign that it's supposed to be like that lol.
    3. I had to pay certs for my sniper rifle, because the starter rifle for VS is a scout rifle, not a sniper. Derp. Way to show your vast knowledge again. I guess that means I'm not an infiltrator OR a sniper... I'M A SCOUT. RIGHT? RIGHT? WOLFWOOD LOGIC BEST LOGIC.
    4. More than handy, use them some more and find out. I never wasted them when I was sniping no, because the majority of the time I was sitting around trees or hills, and never stayed in the same place long enough, within a minute or two I'd be somewhere else and have no more mines for when I eventually run out of ammo and head inside. Your tactics sound a bit ****.
    5. Ordeal? It doesn't bother me, I think it's fine and makes sense for both playstyles.
    6. I said faction specific LMG's, try reading it in context. And they don't change roles, I never said they did.. geez.. trying to talk to you is like nailing jelly to a wall. My point was, WHEN something was added to the game doesn't mean that for example if hacking had been added after beta that it was an afterthought and SOE suddenly decided "OH LETS GIVE THEM HACKING SO THEY CAN INFILTRATE!" - It WAS in beta, but even if it was released yesterday, it's ALWAYS been planned, get a grip.
    7. I hope you learn to read in context one day, might be fun, A+ for effort.
    8. Possibly, that's probably how the idea for it was developed, but that doesn't really mean much either, it's pretty ******* useless for both roles 80% of the time right now.

I haven't been saying that, some people have, and that's fine. The pure fact you're quoting a portion of the community and claiming it's my opinion without me ever claiming it to be true is just another example of you twisting anything you possibly can to suit your own argument, that's not how discussions work I'm afraid, and it's really transparent.

Not sure what your stats are trying to prove either. The majority of Inf's do just sit on a hill sniping, because in every game there's always a massive portion of the community that primarily snipe, they'll just sit there on a hill and snipe, which most of the time obviously doesn't yield as many points as active or CQC players do, doesn't mean that's all they should be allowed to do lol. There's also a decent amount of people that only roll engi when they have a vehicle up, I guess we should take away their turrets then cuz Engineers are just mechanics, sums up all the **** that spews from your mouth.

Infiltrators can be snipers. Just as medics can now be marksmen. Just as VS LA's can be shotgun snipers.

What you don't seem to understand is that, EVERY class in this game has the ability to utilize different roles, and going off of your forum activity alone you should know that this was always SOE's aim, it's not an afterthought that infiltrators should be able to infiltrate - as much as you want it to be.

I don't know what you're looking to do, improve or destroy. In one thread you want to improve it's infiltrating capability, and in another you've got the "they're snipers they dont need anything else" opinion.

You also need to calm the **** down, you got way too sarcy way too quickly, it's a forum and if you can't handle a discussion without wetting yourself with anxiety because someone is disagreeing with you then it's probably better for your sanity to not bother.
  3. MuNrOe

Some sort of emp dart that prevented a vech from firing would be good (like the old jammer grenades of PS1). Of course the ability to hack an enemy vech would be even bettter. Or a T-Rek to install viruses on vech.
  4. MNO

Yea I like that idea. I'm not sure about vehicle hacking and I posted a suggestion somewhere about interacting with an enemy vehicle and making it appear to be on 20% HP - often someone would jump out to repair, then you can smash them. That might be pretty fun.
  5. Ztiller

Everybody says that. However, in the game there is a whole different story.

People think they can catch the cloaked infiltrators, because they only remember the ones they catch. And those are usually the bad ones. I have played infiltrator a Lot, and always go behind enemy lines.

And yes, sometimes i have encountered infiltrators, when defending, that have outmaneuvered me and disappeared using their cloak. Not many, because there aren't many good infiltrators. But they are there.

The cloak is difficult to use. But don't even mistake it for weak or useless. Just because you caught some BR15 infiltrator doesn't mean that you would catch all of us.
    • Up x 1
  6. ArcKnight

why is my thread brought back to life all of a sudden o_O?????

my reasons for C4 was solely for AV reasons
  7. ArcKnight

for once I actually agree with you
  8. RogueComet

If you were to put an AV weapon like C4 in the hands of an Infiltrator it would be instantly super OP. NO to C4. SOE is smart for not giving Infiltrators C4 or Tank Mines. Keep it that way.
  9. Dr. Euthanasia

So how do you explain the fact that I never see the results of Infiltrators who have successfully snuck past me? Is there some unseen cult of stealth-worshiping pacifists who can flawlessly evade all attempts at detection yet adamantly refuse to do anything harmful or useful once they've slipped through the cracks?

Sometimes I see Infiltrators use their cloak and I momentarily lose track of their position. This invariably occurs when they run away from me, and those who manage to permanently evade me are an extremely small minority. Certainly, I've done this to people too, but given how I expect my enemies to be competent players, I don't do a whole lot of running into their faces with or without the cloak active, so testing its effectiveness in situations which don't begin with me getting caught has proven difficult.
  10. Rift23

Fyi, you can plant C4 on your wraith flash with another class, switch back then drive it up to a vehicle and detonate via shooting.
  11. MNO

If you expect the majority of your enemies to be competent then you're a bit optimistic honestly. As the majority of people I fight are utterly bad, the amount of HA's I take down while duking it out 1on1 just because they lack aiming or movement is ridiculous.

As Ztiller said, everyone says they see cloak easily, but they're only the ones you've noticed. All the time half decent infils get past platoons of players to start ******* with their facility and gens.
  12. Wolfwood82

... Everybody brings skill into the equation as if it was a number you could mathematically play with. Kinda dumb and defeats the purpose of even arguing this point. Seriously "it works for me" does not mean there is no problem. There are more infiltrators on average then LA over an entire week, yet the average scores they are getting are considerably less. This should mean something to you even if your as magical as you say you are. But no the selfish always use the "it works for me" argument, because they got in an argument and now they don't want to lose it.

And you continue to insist that something where every built in weakness is based at ranges between 0-50m is meant to get you into situations where your at 0-50m with enemies. Every weakness. Not just some or half or one; Every. And not just kinda built in, or sort of built in, or arguably built in; Directly built in.

The simple FACT is that your class was designed from Alpha stage through to release as a sniper oriented class. You didn't have a proper CQC weapon until SMGs came out, nor did you have a proper place inside of a base (other then as a sniper) until hacking came out. As of now, the class is useless. It serves no real purpose beyond hacking the occasional terminal that everyone was smart enough NOT to destroy for the 34 experience they get for it.

You can argue all you want, make all the claims that you want that your cloak is effective inside bases, say whatever you want. It does not and can not dispute that simple fact, which is really the only thing I pointed out in this thread. Continue being useless and racking up kill counts, I no longer really care.
  13. Dr. Euthanasia

Yeah, I do this too. I kill HAs with the Manticore, sometimes even when they have shotguns. In fact, I have something over 1800 kills with the Manticore right this moment (more than I do with the Parallax, which I've been using since it came out), and I expect to reach 2000 soon so that I can finally get that Auraxium medal I earned months ago and switch to the Commissioner. If all my opponents were competent, this would be an absolutely unrealistic expectation, but that doesn't mean that I go into a fight expecting anyone I'm up against to lose, or to be oblivious enough not to notice my cloak when I'm fully aware of how visible it is.

In such a situation, I have two choices: I can either use the cloak and hope that my opponent won't notice it, or I can forsake the cloak and hope that I can kill my opponent before he does the same to me. If I'm wrong in either choice, I die. Often, I would have died regardless of which choice I made, but none of that changes the fact that I'm predisposed to pick the one which has the greater chance of success.

It's never the cloak in any situation where I can get my opponent within the effective range of my pistol.

Did you even read the first sentence of what you quoted? That falls within the range of "the results of Infiltrators who have successfully snuck past me". It never happens. Every time I see a generator overloaded from a base that I thought was secure, the perpetrator gets caught trying to defend it and turns out to be a Light Assault. It's easier for them to get past platoons of players because unlike us they don't have to take the front door, so their attempts to cause disruption regularly succeed even though they usually can't follow through with the 1-minute defense required for a generator to actually be destroyed any better than we can.

Sometimes, Infiltrators do this too. I know Ztiller does. Of course, he flies a Scythe over the bases he wants to infiltrate and drops into them from above, thus eliminating the hardest and most unreliable part of the journey. Once he's inside, it's back to using the cloak for the only thing it's good for - running away after you get caught. At no point does it actually contribute meaningfully to the most important part of infiltration - getting past the enemy's front line defenses.
  14. MNO

I can start recording if you like, because I do it regularly. When I solo, my favourite is to attack enemy towers, like the tower south of The Crown which is always a pretty large fight on my server, always loaded with enemy platoons, and I'm most of the time able to run straight past a number of players on the stairs, because either they don't notice me, or by the time they think "wait, was that an enemy cloaker?" and turn around, I'm already turning the corner.

So the whole "at no point does it contribute meaningfully" is utter garbage. It's not supposed to be 100% effective, but it most of the time does give me ENOUGH cloaking that people either won't notice or don't notice fast enough.

I'll happily start recording me doing exactly this with success if my CPU temps stay low enough.
  15. Dr. Euthanasia

When I use my cloak, I expect it to work when it should. If that means that it renders me as a completely uncloaked player to people within a certain range of me, I don't care, but it should damn well not give them a chance to see me outside of that range. If it's not supposed to be 100% effective, then it's also not supposed to be even slightly reliable, and I don't use unreliable tools. I don't care under what circumstances it happens to be 100% effective either, but don't you dare tell me that it shouldn't be when those circumstances are met.

I can get into Crossroads Watchtower without a Scythe and without Hunter Stealth just fine. I just refuse to rely on a tool which works "most of the time", because it's certainly not within my control to either influence or even evaluate how effective that tool will be. Why would I ever run past people on the stairs when I have no idea whether they'll notice me doing so or register me as an enemy? It's a gamble that puts my success in the hands of my opponents. There's no skill that will save me when I'm running up those stairs, and the only reason I would do it with my cloak active would be because I have absolutely no intention to fire my weapon - something that the cloak makes impossible despite the fact that it cannot produce results consistent enough for me to be able to judge whether giving up that privilege is the right idea or not.

There is nothing you could possibly record that would convince me to use Hunter Stealth like that. When playing that way, every success you achieve is in some part the responsibility of your enemies, and that's unacceptable.
  16. MNO

Thats you though, just because you won't use it doesn't make it garbage.

And success is always achieved in some part on behalf of your enemy in most circumstances. Same reason why I win 8/10 fights 1v1 with HA's without having to juke them, because they can't aim or use movement properly. The way I aim and move just gives a better margin for success for myself, but technically I shouldn't be winning those fights - but I am.

Same goes for using stealth in facilities and getting to where I want to be without making too much noise, I use stealth and leg it past people when there are too many to take out - and the fact that there is so much going on works in your advantage because people aren't as vigilante, they don't expect some inf to come sprinting past them in cloak when they have their whole outfit stood around next to them.

Nothing short of complete invisibility will make you happy it seems, and that'll never happen because even at the suggestion of it the vocal minority will **** all over it with screams of NERF and OP.

You can complain about the level of visibility all you like - but the fact it's working, and I can prove it works, will trump it every time.
  17. Skeith

oh god another one.....
  18. MNO

If I could rep you for great posts I would. Thanks for the contribution.
  19. Separatists

if inflitrators get c4 i dont know whether to be happy or sad since i love playing inflitrators... vehicle kills will be so easy with cloak =O along with an smg and the new pistols, they can be really OP to some people
  20. Dr. Euthanasia

I don't use it because it's garbage.

Participating in a gunfight isn't comparable to using the cloak for one simple reason. The first is a test between the skill of two players against each other, and the second is a test between the skill of one player against a non-scaling effect.

Skill, scales. You can win a fight consistently against a bad player even when at a disadvantage, because the skills he's relying on aren't as developed as yours, yet he must rely on them to beat you. By comparison, there is no way to develop your skill in using Hunter Stealth because it doesn't do anything but make you less visible. Yes, this visibility is influenced by factors like the environment, but the most important ones - the actions of the player using it - are not among them. Unless you stop moving completely, you cannot control how visible it makes you, and even if you do that, it merely transitions from one static level of difficulty to another. The most effective way to use Hunter Stealth is to avoid every possible situation where it would ever have an effect. The greatest form of invisibility is being behind a wall.

And here is exactly what I'm talking about. You're not taking advantage of the cloak, you're taking advantage confusion on the battlefield. You can't actually tell me one way or the other whether those players saw you - it's entirely possible that they recognized you as a player immediately but mistook you for an ally because cloaked Infiltrators have no textures to betray their faction. This is not a function of Hunter Cloak that I take issue with, but as a disguise, it's quite poor.

And I'll point them in the direction of literally every other online first-person shooter with a stealth mechanic.

You can't prove that it's the cloak which is working just because you meet with success while using it.