Infiltrator - Anti-Material Sniper Rifle

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Hellhammer, Dec 4, 2012.

1. kisven

Semi auto is pointless with high recoil. Make it a bolt action, they have .50 cal weapons in this game that don't do squat against light skins. The system could be with the longshot, .50 tr rifle and the parallax is if they can hit soft points on the vehicles it should have some sort of effect right? Like shoot a tank in the treads it slows down until repaired, shoot a pilot he dies, shoot an engine is losses altitude. Not super destructive but it is supportive. Even against vs vehicles it would be effective shoot a mag in the side it slows down a lot and cant really strafe. Glass isn't resistant against a .50 bmg, as far as I remember a barrette will wipe a engine block in two shots. The raufoss mk 2 rounds are designed to punch holes in pretty much any armor including reactive.

Plus the VS use plasma based weapons, so it should technically do something against armor. Logically speaking, the NC use railgun tech which is supposed to be able to punch through armor to begin with, TR use tried and true ballistics which we know can have bullets designed for AP. So WTF is the problem with a class that is so Fu*cked outta every other aspect it has, by giving it a weapon that makes it as useful as others? "Well it can one shot infantry" so make it slow to prepare the next round. "Well they can hip fire it" ever seen a person accurately fire a effing fifty cal rifle? Especially one as small as the infiltrator?

Logic is lost when it comes to the sniper from the targets view. "Its not fair I didn't see him!" That's the bleeding point of a guy with camo and a sniper rifle... are you that stupid? oh and while I'm on this tangent it is not a "clip" it is a fu*cking magazine. The ammo you have until you reload is in a magazine. The ammo you have to replace the ammo used from that magazine is your capacity!!!
  2. Makora

There have been some good points, and some downright ugly ones. The argument that this weapon would make other sniper rifles completely useless is, for the lack of a better word, wrong.
    First of all, this weapon would be almost as slow as a rocket launcher. Humor me and try using your standard rocket launcher and ONLY your standard rocket launcher. Regardless of range and damage dealt, the time between shots curbs any notion of completely destroying everything out there.
    Secondly, ammo counts are also going to be an issue. First of all 10-15 rounds can burn very quick, especially when you're playing mountain wookie. I'd go as far as to say that "you can only resupply at sunderer's and infantry terminals" but in that case you COULD ask the same of rocket launchers, but that would be silly beyond stupid. If I know right, the ammo packs only resupply certain number of underbarrel grenades... food for thought.
    Third, the best counterargument is draw distance. It is an issue but a lone sniper can be seen for up to 300m away. And a tank is a relatively small target at those distances. You don't always see that other tank shelling you, or that liberator, or that HA.
    Fourth, this weapon would cost you. Be it SC or certs (I'd ask 1k or something for it, 1500-2000 certs) with the added ammunition.

As said before, there need to be limitations like can only be fired when deployed. Replacing the primary weapon, thus the only way to fight back when jumped is your sidearm, knife and whatever explosives you have along. Relatively easy to trace.
    There are multiple ways this could be decided. But honestly, I think the best way would be if we had a "test server" basically if there are any serious changes going to happen, they are tested out there before. This would include any such weaponry. Something that looks great or downright bad on paper might be the exact opposite. Or they might work as intended.
  3. Nanoblack

I think the infiltrator vs vehicle issue is being taken in entirely the wrong direction. Instead of adding new weapons, why not add weakpoints to the vehicles for massive damage with smaller arms fire... fuel tanks or somesuch that could not be hidden under armor. This way everyone wins.
  4. OldMaster80

Cool, but one of the problems of this class is that everyone can do what Infiltrators do. The idea you suggest is very nice, but we need something special for our class. You're suggesting a way to harm vehicles that would be ok for everyone, Max and HA included.
    I still believe the EMP effect is the way to go. Infiltrators shouldn't be able to destroy or damage vehicles, they should be able to block weapons, confuse commands, and disturb the HUD. We should just make them so vulnerable that the pilot decide to retreat or to abandon the vehicle (and that's where we backstab / headshot him).
    • Up x 1
  5. vashshadow

i like the ideas on here cuz just today i was wish i could do some damage to armor maybe not out rite kill them but some damage you know kinda help out my teams tanks.
  6. Obuw

You need to run into the tank to C4 it, you have a 0.001% chance of success doing that as a medic unless the driver is afk. You are comparing that to a rifle that would let infiltrators snipe tanks from a distance?

But I agree that the current AV situation is BS overall, only giving one class the tools to deal with tanks, and giving other classes extremely cheesy ways to lololkill tanks (tank mines, c4) to compensate isn't good design in my book.

They should have gone with the PS1 model and allowed everyone to carry 2 weapons if they go with heavy armor (so they would sacrifice mobility and be unable to pilot most vehicles). Then everyone could carry an AV weapon as a secondary.

And then they could add the AV weapons from the first game, none of this BF3 bs. One of those weapons was the VS Lancer, an anti-material rifle of sorts. It had near-sniper accuracy, but it didn't do damage like a freaking C4 of course. It could unload its clip of 6 shots in 4-5 seconds and kill a lightning in 2-3 clips.

TBH they could give infiltrators C4 as well. It's not like they'd have an easier time using it compared to a LA.
  7. Wobberjockey

so instead of making productive comments like this the first time, you characterized this entire thread as "Dear SOE. I want a gun that 1 shots everything. Love, Infiltrators"

i am aware that the medic C4 success rate is very low. but that still does not invalidate the fact that they even have ACCESS to an anti armor option.

a BF2142 style rifle is a very workable option, where you need to shoot tanks in the rear armor to do any sort of real damage. oterwise it will just be another 'lol' solution because honestly what tank is going to sit there for several CLIPS while an infiltrator shoots it.

this is a high risk high reward class, and if i sneak around behind a tank that is pinning my squad, i should beable to do smoething that will either kill him, or make him go OH CRAP and move. why? because i just blew my cover, and he sure as heck knows i'm there now.
  8. kisven

didn't I already say that?
  9. Obuw

Naw, I was just characterizing some of the posts in this thread as that. :p Surely you must have also read the posts saying it should do enough damage as a C4 and also bodyshots should oneshot infantry.

I don't know the BF2142 rifle. Not sure what kind of "real" damage you're talking about. If it's a sniper rifle that does no damage from the front, 1/20 damage from the side and 1/5 damage from the rear (with 5 total ammo) that could be okay. Heck, it would definitely be okay, but then the problem is the infiltrators become the BEST anti-vehicle class in the game. All classes need comparable long range tools to deter (not oneshot) vehicles. (and not oneshot infantry at the same time).
  10. kisven

infiltrator- "sneaking around the enemy base oh look a vehicle terminal, hack that."
    rest of squad- "we've got a tank pinning us down with he shells and no HA units around!"
    infiltrator-"oh I see that tank, i'm behind that tank! oh well....[IMG]
  11. Reninz

I'm okay with the vehicles sorta...instead of changing the actual vehicles I'd just wish that they had open cockpits like you could shoot a pilot outta a fightter plane. Sorta like in Halo where there you could snipe someone in a tank
  12. Wobberjockey

that's pretty much a spot on description actually.

i think it was a 5 shot rear kill. a 1 shot critical kill (tanks had rear grates that acted as 'headshot' zones) and perhaps 10-20 shots to kill a tank in a direct engagement... with 5 rounds of carried ammo.
    and it was LOUD and left a VERY ovbious tracer. people knew where you were when you fired it.

and for the record, the Pilum DID one shot infantry... but if you did that meant that you were potentially losing the opportunity to kill a tank
  13. TehGrimZa

One idea that came to mind while reading this, to make infiltrators a threat to vehicles, but they wouldn't be so much to air though. Allow the infiltrators to "hack" an enemy vehicle. Give it a time duration to hack, and once the hack is complete, the character would do a combat animation of tossing in a grenade into the tank killing those inside. The player hacking to do this attack must have a grenade on their person, and only one person would "hack" the vehicle at a time.

Now, this wouldn't destroy the vehicle, it would only kill those inside the vehicle.

Another direction would be that if an the Infiltrator gets the hack off on the vehicle that anyone inside is booted out for 5 seconds while the "vehicles computer systems" override the hack, allowing the players who were inside to get back in. So, while anyone not paying attention around them, and a infiltrator hacks the vehicle they can make quick work of the drive and gunner.

So granted air and Mobile Sundies wouldn't be affect by this suggestion, it would be one more trick up the sleeve of a armed Infiltrator.
  14. clantix

Ugh, haven't we already established each class can already do everything by visiting a weapons terminal? It's annoying enough to be sniped as infantry, if you give long range armor to a human size target we end up with a dilemma balancing it as much as we have a dilemma balancing AA. Think about 3 snipers hiding on top of a cliff with an engineer, effectively destroying an entire tank column as it drives by.

And here I will vent my less appreciative thoughts.

Wow do snipers wanna be able to do everything or what?
  15. Wobberjockey

i want an option other then "wet my spandex" and "hide" when i find myself near an enemy tank in the field.
  16. kisven

what do snipers care about being medics or fixing vehicles? if its annoying quit being an easy target. AA isn't all that hard to avoid, a score of libs can take any installation with ESF support. It sounds like you try to be lone wolf and get eaten alive if anything.
  17. clantix

And all if this mattteerrrssss..... why? I don't care how easy it is to avoid AA, but everybody agrees there is the breaking point between not enough AA and too much AA where the air denial is either on or off, hence we have a problem balancing AA due to the exponential properties of the air denial depending on how many AA. So if we apply the same kind of long range AV on a resourceless weapon no less....... It will be on par with HA AV capabilities with the added "breaking point" where the entire area becomes a vehicle denial with about half a squad of snipers, which don't even have to work in noticeable cohesion.

Now I can address all of your non mattering arguments.

I don't consider those who use sniper rifles cheap but funnily enough I find it annoying to die, I must be so weird right? But i recognize the limited use of the sniper class that allows it to excel.... at killing infantry like a sniper, not killing vehicles like esf's back in the update with marksman rocketpods.
  18. kisven

the balance has nothing to do with how little emplaced AA there is. that issue lies solely on the units guarding that place. if they cant find enough balance to attack air effectively then they are simply out smarted tactics wise. and the thing is the class is called infiltrator, not sniper. if it was called sniper it wouldn't need a hacking tool or even cloak half the time. I understand the need for other classes but when you play as an infiltrator and tanks roll everything over there should be a method to combat the things. but you also miss the point we are not asking for rocket pods that wipe everything off the map. we just think that infiltrators should have more flexibility than just sniping infantry. multitudes of different ideas were presented and you seem enthralled by just one.

again you can create tons of denial but a lone sniper squad with anti materiel rifles wiping out tank columns is just to far fetched. for one what tank column doesn't have air support? an incompetent team is not evidence that something is OP, if this were about recon in bf3 on xbox id agree they don't need anything like that but then again they can also snipe pilots. snipers should kill infantry yes but they should also be able to put a freaking bullet through a piece of glass to kill a damn pilot. lol
  19. AceOf5pades

Why be on the ground when you can soar?

Correct me if I am wrong (as I am new to this game), but isn't it true that very few if any classes can do any damage to air vehicles while they are in flight? I think that the infiltrator class should be given some sort of weapon or weapon add on that can take down or damage enemy aircraft, particularly while in flight. Maybe a special secondary rifle that shoots a cloud of high density particles into the air in a large column. They would clog the aircraft's air intakes and possibly damage it to the point where smoke comes out of the plane. It would not be OP because it would require some skill to line up a shot into which a plane flies, it would not be a OHK, and by leaving a large column in the sky it would reveal an infiltrators location.

Just some food for thought.

Thanks,
    AceOf5pades

20. Wobberjockey

any infantry can shoot and damage an ESF. a squad focus firing can do a fair amount of damage. 25-50% depending on the weaponry involved.

Liberators and gals are either immune to small arms fire, or have so much HP and resistance that they are functionally so