Infiltrator - Anti-Material Sniper Rifle

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Hellhammer, Dec 4, 2012.

1. SomeCrappyGamer

How about it being a boltaction sr instead so you cant just spam it in the general direction of the enemy?
  2. Mids

How about a long range sticky shot for vehicles - very fast shot - All it does is disable the vehicles accelerate. Make it last for some at least 3 mins. It would have the effect of stranding a tank and making it a target.
  3. PieBringer

Since the game at it's launch had INFILTRATORS starting with SNIPING WEAPONS, I don't really see them being saved at this rate.

In my opinion, it's useless to even hope that we get actual Infiltration gear, and not just more sniping weapons. Despite how useless such a thing is, I still carry it, for what few good memories I have that it brings.
  4. Hellhammer

Bolt Action, Semi-Auto....with the time it would take to reload, and line up the shot...I don't think it would matter if it were either, other than *flavor*
  5. Azikiwe

I do think the Infiltrator need some way to defeat vehicles badly, but I think that an Anti-materiel rifle isn't the answer. The reloading speed and number of shots required to destroy something means it'd take forever to do anything to a tank (and probably most of whatever ammo you have), plus the one hit kill body shots on infantry would make it pretty OP for anti-infantry purposes (against it's original design).

I'm not sure giving infiltrators something to disable vehicles is the best solution either. It reeks of MMO stunlocks, which are always annoying as hell to deal with, players don't like being rendered completely helpless.

I think the best solution is just to give infiltrators C4. You have to get close to use it, and you can only carry 1-2 at a time, so it's not like a single infiltrator is going to wipe out a vehicle column.
  6. Pat22

I don't even play as Infiltrator but I approve the idea of an anti-armor, anti-vehicle, big caliber sniper rifle.
    As long as something is done to make it less effective against infantry than regular snipers rifles, like slower bullets, or the inability to fire while moving / standing. ( It fires big rounds, you need to brace yourself )
    • Up x 1
  7. Hellhammer

Besides my wishful thinking in the original post, and to keep people from crying unfair play, I would remove the aspect of the OSK to the chest, in favor of all but killing the target outright. In reality, a .50 cal bullet would decimate a person/body part, but hey, this is a video game.

Besides all the aspects in the original damage description of the rifle (for balance sake), maybe introduce a special ammo type: Armor Piercing, which when equipped, would only damage heavy armor targets, but wouldn't add any additional damage to Infantry. So in essence, bigger caliber rifle (for aesthetics purposes), able to use special AP ammo that effects heavy armor, but otherwise is just a bigger, slower, monster of a recoil, sniper rifle, that doesn't do anything extra to Infantry (other than taking them to the brink of death no matter hit location....obviously OSHS kill though)
  8. OldMaster80

THAT would be cool. An EMP generator or some kind of EMP device to do effectively what EMP granades do so bad: disabling enemies shields, special abilities and devices, jamming enemy vehicles and turrets. That would AWESOME, a very cool tactical weapon to support the team.
    • Up x 1
  9. The Murdertrain

Staying on topic,

With the relative ease it is to hit stationary targets, and with how when someone is moving predictably in one direction you can usually land at least a body shot, I think having a one hit kill rifle is asking a lot. Even as I am still getting used to the mechanics of it all, having sniped on Tribes for a while and the SRs are hitscan there, it reminds me very much of the semi-realistic physics in the STALKER series.

On the subject of rendering: This is very annoying. It forces me to change my role from counter-sniping and taking out medics, to just shooting whoever is nearby. If the engine would only render what is in a 15* cone in front of you while zoomed in, as opposed to based upon distance from you, sniping in bigger battles will bring about better results.

I'd really like to see a mechanic taken from a game which I really enjoyed while it was still alive, Quake Wars, where the covert ops units could use EMP grenades and produce a similar result to what OldMaster80 is talking about. I'm not sure if this was in the game or not yet, but I do recall seeing 'coming soon' in relation to EMP grenades here just recently.

So in conculsion, no .50 OHKs, rendering is annoying, and we need EMP bad.
  10. Hellhammer

The Murdertrain - out of curiosity, what's your hit % with the sniper rifle? Let's say it's 50% (could be higher, or lower). That means, out of the 20 shots, you will hit 10 times. Also assuming you ONLY fire at Infantry (chest or better), that's 10 kills before needing to get more ammo. What if you don't only attack Infantry, and shoot at almost dead tanks, and Sunderers (etc) to the point they blow up. Now you just reduced your 10 kills to maybe 7 or 8 (or less).

I think the biggest misconception about this idea, is that people think you hit 100% of the time, and will only attack Infantry. I can't say people won't just target infantry, but I can almost guarantee there isn't a sniper out there that has a 100% hit ratio with a gun s/he uses often.
  11. Toshogu

I like your idea but we need to change the clipsize to 1
    total ammo 20

4 shots and it kills ESF
    8 shots for libs
    don't bother with gal

8 shots for lightnings
    12 shots for MBT

1 shot if you manage to headshot the pilot in a cockpit
    tanks are immune to headshot
    and we would have a deal.

of coarse it is a 1 hit kill on infantry
    4shots to kill a max
    2 headshots and it kills a max.

Also can only be fired while crouched and sitting still
    Long reload time like Hvy assault slow weapon reload time kind of long
    HUGE RECOIL. Like if you are looking straight after firing you are looking 40-60degrees up after the shot kind of huge

Can not mount any special equipment either it comes with the stock ****** scope

Flavor text reason is because of the massive recoil it produces it just shatters or damages anything you try to attach to it other than the stock scope that was purpose built for it.

Vanu.... Vanu can go suck it. since they use lazors they don't get this rifle.
  12. }{ellKnight

Tanks OSK: well... it's a tank.
    Liberators OSK: it's a gun ship that has the purpose of bombing. It's a sitting duck against enemy ESF.
    HA, LA and Medics: they can't sit back several hundred meters away and one shot people by hitting them in the chest.

What I'm getting at is that we don't need an AWP in Planetside 2 :p

I agree that infiltrators need more tools to make them more attractive to play and have a bigger roles in battles. One shot kill rifles isn't the way to get that IMO.
  13. Makora

I would more like a sort of One shot then reload weapon. Something that can't be silenced, something that basically goes BOOM.

It'd have almost no bullet drop and the projectile would be one of the fastest. But You'd only have 10-15 shots in reserve. Another limitation I have been toying with is that, if the game engine allows, you must either be crouched and stationary to fire (this might apply as a sort of "Deploy"). Other option is that you need to be zoomed in to fire. And every shot would kick out of zoom and your aim will settle way above the target.

I wouldn't go deep into attachments as of yet, but it'd have less then all the rest. No silencers, only 2 or 3 scope options, rail options would be a laser sight (?) and a stabilizer (a replacement for the foregrip) I'd also propose 3 ammo types.

Standard: Not a OHCK but does enough damage that the target's health is in the red (from full health and shields). On vehicles it has the damage equal to a standard lightning HEAT round. Doesn't sound like much, but this is mostly off the top of my head. It also has the ability to go THROUGH the first infantry target and hit the one behind.
    Armor Piercing: Does LESS damage to infantry due to overpenetration (look it up) but on vehicles has the damage output of a lightning AP round. Has the ability to hit a THIRD target. Is the fastest and the flattest trajectory projectile.
    Snub-Nosed Nanite Core: OHCK on infantry. The tip collapses into a really big slug on impact that basically cracks the target soldier in half. The Nanite core contains a swarm of nanites that upon target's death, consume the corpse so no revive. But on the flipside it does the least damage to armor and has the most noticeable drop and slowest projectile of the lot. But is still fairly fast by other sniper rifle standards.

Visually I'd like it to channel the burster of all weapons (this IS a Nantie Systems weapon). To go for the Pre-viz PS2 concept arts bellow:
    [IMG]
    THIS is what I want it to look like, big, bulky. But NOT a machine gun.
  14. Hellhammer

Makora - I like a lot of the ideas you posted. I think the various ammo types would be more acceptable to a lot of people. Limited ammo to offset it's OSCK ability is also the way to go, in my opinion. One shot, then reload is also a good offset. As for scopes; standard should be 10x, with upgradable to 12x. I agree that you shouldn't be able to fire from the hip, and I don't think it would be hard to implement a "deploy" type ability since the TR MAX is supposed to have anchor mode, I believe.

As for a lot of the negative reasons why such a weapon would be "OP"; people assume you hit with a weapon 100% of the time, therefore, it's 10-15 increase to your KDR. I don't know of a single player (maybe the devs) who have a 100% hit ratio with any sniper rifle. What about a stationary target? Why not just shoot them in the head with any other bolt-action sniper rifle and take them out in that fashion (I find that argument moot)? I guess there will be players who completely devote every shot to just infantry, but in a game based on exp/cert gain, you get more bang for the buck (excuse the pun) killing tanks, than you would killing infantry.
  15. ShadowErwan

My thoughts so far,

1- Make the cockpit vulnerable (set damage type to a different one so AA both flak and propelled ammunition don't benefit)
    2- Delayed explosive rounds (shoot, it sticks, boom)
    3- Based on #2, make a 4th weapon slot or replace that once in a blue moon area sensor gun slot 3
    4- Bigger / more expensive / powerful rifles do significantly more damage than their lesser variants since that's the logic of energy transfer

# We can damage those pod spammers with bullets or tag them I don't know but I find my self satisfied when that red X appears after taking a shot at them.

# It's understandable if the Galaxy does not have vulnerable cockpits since it's a crew type but should be vulnerable to explosive ammunition
  16. Makora

Thank, you have been toying with this idea ever since I fired my first bolt action in the game. And I must agree that the gun's starter scope should be, at the very LEAST an 8x scope. I would like to see a higher zoom like 14x. But I honestly don't see them implementing that and the draw distance kinda kills the need for it. Tanks aren't that small either. I would like an IR 12x though.
    I also toyed with the idea (drawback?) that when you buy then gun, you have it with ironsights. But that was just for the lulz of seeing this gun kicking up a massive dust cloud like a tank just fired.
    And considering the damage this gun might make against armor (I'd max it at around the Python AP) it's not gonna take a tank out at 1 shot unless it already has one leg in the grave. As tasty as it sounds to shoot pilots out of ESF's and sundies, it'd just be too easy for aimbots to abuse. Armor is armor for a reason. Even if it is light.

Though the current SR's are good at what they do, some of us just want to go a step further. And I mean WAY further. Not only does it need to have that damage and size that this thing might just belong mounted on a vehicle, but it must SOUND right.
    I mean in my mind, if this weapon were implemented, it'd have a very distinct and very LOUD sound. As a medic(my other class) if I'd hear that thing sing, I'd hunker down in a trash bin and try to figure out if it's friendly or not. And when you fired it, it'd kick up a cloud similar to when a tank fires. Just a bit smaller. But a bit.

Also, off-topic. TR maxes were supposed to have that, but they don't. You can still see the anchor things on their legs, but it either hasn't been implemented as an alternative to the dash ability. Or they scrapped it.
  17. Frosty The Pyro

honestly the only Anti Armor infiltrators should have is hacking, I would love to be able to hack enemy vehicles, likely have it take 2 rounds, the first locks the vehicle (kicking out ocupants, vehicle stays locked for 30 seconds), and the second hacks it transfering it to your faction. You can only hack an empty vehicle (such as one you just locked).

If a sniper rifle AV aoption was to be implimented it would need to require specific hit locations (aka cockpet windows, engines/thrusters, tires, you know, weak points) and be more a AV option of desperation than choice. And a oneshot chest shot kill is just a bad idea, grenades and c5 and the lot cost resources for each use, rockets get to pull it off because they have huge visable "HERE I AM" tracers, massive amounts of projectile drop and very little projectile speed. If you are trying to hit infantry from 300m you are hoping they are completely stationary and facing the other direction. With a sniper rifle you just hit the sprint key and put their face on the proper milldot and click.
    • Up x 1
  18. OldMaster80

I'm quite sure Medics can drop C4. And honestly I don't get why they can place explosive and not Infiltrators. I wonder how devs think we can blow up enemy sunderers. Probably using our silenced pistols...

As far I see this, Infiltrators shouldn't be able to harm vehicles but we should be able to fight them in a very "infiltresque" way. We should at least be allowed to jam their systems and disable them for a few time. What we definitely need is:
    - Better EMP grenades. They were so cool in PS1, but in PS2 they must do more and cost less.
    - An EMP / Microwave weapon to temporarily mess up vehicle weapons and commands.
    - Hacking extended to vehicles, but not just to "steal" enemy vehicels like in PS1. Personally I would love to be able to lock other vehicles or kick players out, temporarily invert commands, slow them down, cause damage over time, overheating, disable vehicle attachments, double the reload time and so on.
  19. Makora

As tasty as the vehicle hack would be, I don't think we'd see it. It'd be a great way to get rid of enemy sunderer's though.

And AT sniper specific weak points would be barrels of fun, but I simply don't see them implementing a second set of hitpoints on a tank. This is a weapon that requires a different mind-set. The low ammo-cap and possibly the most easily traceable rifle make sure that being able to get the kill is a planned out move. I know there will be hot-shots who, at the first sight of a tank will take a shot at it. But those are the "we all have one of those" friends. And I honestly don't think a desperation choice is the proper thinking to approach this.
    This AT rifle, to be effective, would need shots to the back armor. This weapon, as I see it, would be meant and designed around the use by marksmen who don't just run at a random hill to take shots. But who plan, a hunter if you will. Someone who chooses the target. "Do I go for that tank now? No, that other tank just got hit worse and is about to stop for repairs. 3...2. ****! enemy air *cloak*"
    And that specialization is more reflected on a weapon system that requires the user to choose the right ammo for the job. The standard is all well but it lacks the pure aspect of either the AI or the AT rounds. But choosing one ***** you at the other. You can still do the job, it's just that much harder.
    So, as for the OSCK aspect. I will repeat, it's a function I would like to see, but it must be regulated. A high cert cost weapon, with a specialized ammunition for this task is a good way to go. My main idea for such a round is not the OSCK but that such a round, if lethal should cause the target corpse to become un-reviviable (by deconstructing). In an infantry battle this can be the biggest game changer. You can kill 10 infantry with an LMG and start to reload before a medic you missed throws a revive grenade and you're right back where you started, with 10 angry enemies around you. Granted a 1 shot then reload rifle would take such a damn long time to achieve this that if you did manage to kill 10 enemies in one spot... Darwin. And you're practically out of ammo in any case.

But lets not kid ourselves here. Seeing ANY such things as AV capable sniper rifles or vehicle hacking is a rather small chance. And a OSCK weapon is a tricky business to balance. But they are possible.
  20. Hellhammer

as an extended idea to the aforementioned; in dealing with the OSCK, how about a special ammo type costing a small amount of infantry resources, say 10? Making it so that you can't respawn after being hit would require a special bullet, and since "special" things in the game cost resources, it sort of makes sense....