Infiltrator - Anti-Material Sniper Rifle

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Hellhammer, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Hellhammer

Playing the Infiltrator, it seems like every class has a little something extra they can do to vehicles, be it Air or Tanks. EMP grenades (unlike PS1) don't do anything to tanks, or MAX units, they simply mess up someone's HUD for a few seconds. LA have C4, HA have rocket launchers, and Engies have mines. Medics really don't have anything either, but the revive grenade, which is pretty damn handy (so is the health grenade). The Infiltrator can hack terminals (also handy), but at the cost of time, and exposing themselves. Good for the melee and up close types, no use to the far away, and shoot types. My idea, that I've been talking to a lot of the people in my outfit about, is some sort of Anti-Material Rifle. It would be semi-automatic, OSHS, AND OSCS (one shot chest shot). The best example I can give is the M107A1 (hear me out on this). In order for it to be used at it's full potential, it would need a compensator, and a forward grip. I know there is different ammo types available (or planned), and this would be another avenue.

Damage would be 8.5/10 (or 9/10)

Rate of Fire (with compensator and forward grip) 1, and 3, and 5, and 7, and 9,

Rate of Fire (without compensator and forward grip) 1, and 4, and, 7, and 10, and 13

Reload Speed - to balance the damage, the reload speed would have to be slow (probably like reloading a drum for the LMG or a rocket)

Clip Size = 5 (semi-auto)

Magazine Size = 15 (due to the size of the round, less ammo before needing more)

Purpose - besides the fact that it could kill Infantry in 1 shot (if you hit), it would help do damage to tanks, liberators, and galaxies (which you currently can't with any sniper rifle), making the class more useful in a different way. Not that it would do TONS of damage to vehicles (say 20 shots would blow up a Vanguard), but it would act as a further deterrent.

P.S. with the recoil being so heavy, the infiltrator would not have any degree of accuracy shooting the rifle unless zoomed-in (none of that, 360-spin, jump, headshot, crap)
    • Up x 1
  2. Caspartine

I've been playing with this idea for some time. It would be pretty tricky to balance, but I would definitely welcome some heavy caliber weapon. Everytime I watch the ESFs hanging around the towers and nukiing the infantry through the doorways, I wish I had something to take out the pilot. At least that would learn them to move:)
  3. Mibeshu

Personally. I think the infiltrator should move away from more ranged weaponry. It either wouldn't do much or tank drivers wouldn't be able to fight back and it will be called 'overpowered'.

What I'd prefer to see is a close up vehicle weapon, kind of disruption device you can attach to vehicles. Put it on a sunderer to stop it from spawning people, put it on a tank to stop it from firing or put it on a flash to stop it from moving. Another infiltrator could then 'hack' it off. Or we could just be allowed to hack vehicles like is PS1.
    • Up x 4
  4. Krytical

The problem with your idea is that they'll never implement OHK to the chest. It's simply too OP even if you limit all the other stuff you mentioned. With that considered, an anti-material rifle will then only be good for vehicles because of all the limitations it would probably have.

The problem with this is that no other class has to choose between anti-infantry/anti-vehicle primary weapons. HA can equip both an LMG and a rocket launcher. Engineer can have both carbine and Tank Mines. Likewise for LA and Medic with C4.

I'd much rather have C4 or a way to disable vehicles (i.e. hacking them) without having to sacrifice my primary weapon.
    • Up x 4
  5. Jac70

I think the Infiltrator's vehicle role should be disabling rather than destroying. Some kind of EMP device that knocks out enemy vehicles & their occupants shield generators.

A OHK to the chest weapon would be too overpowered in the hamds of the Infiltrator. Its no fun or challenge dying to things to which you can have no awareness or chance.
    • Up x 2
  6. Hellhammer

I agree (to an extent) that a OSK weapon would be OP, but they already exist in the game. Pretty much any tank can OSK, Liberators can OSK, HA's (with a rocket) can OSK, LA's/Medics with C4 can OSK, and for the infantry, these are supplemental weapons, not even their main weapon. With the rifle, there would be no supplemental weapon, since it IS the weapon. A grenade can MOSK (multiple one shot kill), C4 can MOSK, Liberators can MOSK, Tanks can MOSK, the rifle cannot MOSK (in a single fire)

Conversely, the melee Infiltrator (as suggested); something like a hack/disabling ability would be nice, if melee is your play style. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead getting to melee range on an AMS Sunderer, or Tank to try to disable it. 1) Tanks seem to be constantly moving (you might get run over), making a hack very hard. 2) with people pouring out of an AMS Sunderer, you leave yourself extremely vulnerable when hacking (no matter how fast it is). I assume the alternative is like an EMP Grenade.... Well the current EMP Grenade doesn't disable vehicles (threw one at a tank last night, and nothing), and they effect infantry for about 3 seconds. You still have to get in range of said target, and you still have to hit said target (cloaking is nice, but you can still be seen)

Jac70 - I agree, it's no fun, or challenge dying to things like Tank HE rounds, or A liberator Zephr bombing you, in which you have no chance to defend yourself (which happens all the time). I guess instead of trying to fight back in some fashion, you should give up and spawn somewhere else.

Krytical - that's why the damage is offset with a slow ROF, a slow reload timer, and a small maximum ammo amount. I don't believe there is anything currently in the game with that slow of ROF

And again, they key here is still being able to *hit* your target. Stationary targets deserve headshots. Mobile targets are tougher to hit, and at range, there are a lot of factors going into a mobile infantry target (bullet drop, lead time, travel direction). Unless you are a skilled marksman, I'd still give you about a 50-50 chance
  7. Qaz

infiltrators that osk without needing a headshot wont happen. AV ammo in ps1 didnt do a lot of damage to infantry at all, and i think that's a good idea. Having an infiltrator trade in his ability to deal with infantry in exchange for an anti material rifle would seem appropriate. Now, the question of how much damage an AV rifle should do ... i dont know. If it's a semi auto, 5 shots = kill would seem about right?
    • Up x 1
  8. DragoValhar

Or how about this? There was a fake weapons system used in 2Fast 2Furious as I recall that was an Electrical System Disabler.
    You'll need to skip to about 50 seconds, or just look at the thumbnail screen.

Here is a link to the clip of the device. I would say this would shut down all systems other than propulsion but maybe half the vehicle's top speed. So we couldn't hit a plane with it and force them into the ground.

Now the only way to get rid of it is to physically get out of your vehicle and remove it manually. I'd say a Five second use on it would be adequate. Now I'm unsure if you would just have to use key on the vehicle or find the harpoon itself. The latter seems perhaps too overpowered on certain vehicles. Sunderer for one. If it's stuck to the roof good luck hopping on top of the blasted thing to pull it out before the infiltrator snipes you.
    • Up x 1
  9. Hellhammer

DragoValhar - that's an excellent example, I know exactly what you're talking about. However, I will continue to go back to the range thing. Very tricky to sneak up on something, without it spotting you. The "cloak" just doesn't last that long. Maybe (like the Engie turret will do) this could be swapped out for the prox locator gun, making it a disable vehicle gun. At least you'd have some distance you could work with.

Qaz - the idea seems ok, but that limits the Infiltrator even more now. The purpose of my post was to give them more options, not limiting ones. In your case, the AV Rifle would have to be a supplementary gun, not take the place of the primary gun. Otherwise, you're just an Infiltrator running around looking for vehicles, and restricting ANY firefights to the use of your pistol at close range

I almost forgot another weapon the pawns people, the underslung grenade launcher. I just find it interesting that the game can throw in an M203, but can't utilize the idea of an M107A1
  10. DragoValhar

As for range I'd say that harpoon could be flung like an M203, or something simple. I wouldn't know what amount to give use. We'd need enough to not need constant resupply but not enough you could lock down a vehicle for too long.
  11. Pseudo Neo

I think that giving it some hella low damage vs softies would balance it out. It wouldnt be the same power of rockets but giving it the same damage for 3 bullets to equal a Skep shot would make it balance enough methinks. If they haven't moved by the 3rd shot then you need to learn how to tank properly.
  12. vampwood

Pilum Rifle from Battlefield 2142, best solution. No to one hit on infantry though. Make it do a bit more then a AT rocket from HA on tanks.
  13. Wobberjockey

i would favor a pilum type weapon system, complete with the 5 rounds carried (that would keep it from being an effective AI solution. rember HA's can OSCS with their rockets)
    alternately something that shot EMP rounds would be cool.

given the prevalence of armor and air in this game, no class should be utterly useless against them, and right now that is what the infiltrator is
  14. Alcatraz

How bout giving the sniper a special ability on a cooldown

they can press it and load a single super high powered round. It would instantly kill infantry and do damage, not sure how much, to vehicles and maxes.

or you could buy them at the terminal and carry 1,2 or 3 like in place of grendades or claymores..

thoughts?

there would be plenty of ways to take this idea and mold it in my opinion.. so that it is effective but not overpowered.
    • Up x 1
  15. Hellhammer

I like the suggestions, though I like my original idea best. A Pilum weapon sounds ok, but would it be another weapon the person carries, or would it take the place of the sniper rifle. If it takes the place of, now you go back to the flip side of the argument, can't do anything (effectively) against infantry, gimping the class. Also, if it is another weapon, then you might as well play HA, they have an LMG, more health, and rockets.

So far the best alternative was by DragoValhar with the electrical thingie. Alcatraz is probably second, but the idea of a CD isn't very appealing....what if you miss?

Which brings me to another point; my accuracy with my rifle of choice is 40% That means I would hit 6 people with the suggested rifle...not taking into account hitting armored targets... if I *only* attacked Infantry. Obviously there are others with better accuracy, let's say the best is 70%. That's 10 targets hit before having to get more ammo.

With my bolt action, I would hit roughly 12 people out of the 30 shots (not counting kills) before I have to get more ammo. Factor in the time between shots, the reload time itself, I would not consider a rifle of such "over powered". In all honesty, there is a higher chance of killing people with other weapons that shoot faster, reload faster, and have more bullets. I think it's a fair enough trade-off
  16. Hellhammer

hmmm...RAMS .50M ..chambered for the powerful 12 x 75 round....getting closer... :)
  17. Hellhammer

/bump

for the new people....
  18. TurboSax

Reminds me of the Spy's Sapper from TF2, which is a good thing.
    • Up x 2
  19. Hellhammer

man...I wish we had some sort of damaging type weapon this past weekend.... tons of opportunities to hit armor *almost* dead, just to watch it zoom away...
  20. Caspartine

The longer I play the more I yearn for a chance to HS ESF pilots. Not really an armor damaging rifle, just the chance to shoot the basterd hovering above.
    • Up x 1