How much ping is considered acceptable

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ZeroErrorz, May 20, 2014.

1. IamDH

I agree with what you said but it depends really. If you lost in a face to face fight with someone with higher ping then you suck hard
    However if you ran past cover and ran back to find yourself dead after running a mile behind cover it isnt really your fault
    • Up x 1
  2. Tentakewls

It isn't, but people with high ping also suffer from this ( probably more often too ).
    • Up x 1
  3. Udnknome

Read through this post, it's amazing how many people disagree with plausible answers. Some people just want to see a conspiracy no matter what how much of the truth they know.

In beta, this game gave you an advantage of warping, engagement advantage (this is where you see the enemy and start shooting before he sees you) and occasionally you wouldn't receive damage because the server was unable to hit you or determine where you were to validate a hit. All of which was addressed and changed. Warping still exists, but you basically have to be playing on a 56k connection (or cheating).

While some of the advantages still exists (to about 200ms or so) at some point (whatever SOE programed) that advantage is gone. I've noticed when I play on high ping servers (I'm in Hawaii) the only advantage I seem to have is that I die after I kill my opponent a lot more or we double kill, or I die while peeking out a doorway, or it feels like people can shoot through walls due to the "shadow" effect of high lag. It's annoying, but there isn't really an advantage to it.

SOE will most likely not comment on this because it will allow someone to exploit their current system.

Enjoy
  4. Fenrisk

There is no skill for killing another player when you have 350 ping as it gives anyone you shoot at no way to react to your shots as it's already to late. What part of that don't you understand? You are shooting where they was on your screen while according to the server, according to that player and according to all the players around them with good connections he IS in cover. Why should YOU get to shoot where he WAS for the kill when everyone else including the server says he's behind cover? If you think that's not a advantage your biased by the crappy connection you bring to every fight.

Why don't you and others posting here reply to why competitive FPS games kick 150+ ping players and have server side hit detection?

High ping players ruin FPS games. Only the laggers themselves don't think so because of their own bias.

If SOE implemented a auto-kick for any player above 150 ping this game would be far more competitive. I dare anyone to argue otherwise.
  5. Tito

today its 60 on mee after patch
  6. KnightCole

Lol, my 28% EM6 acc is the thousands of rounds I spend and spent firing at air craft, passing hars flashes, and the like. Take my JH acc, thats the acc I would prolly hve on my EM6 if we removed all my shots spend firing at **** I cant really land any good bursts on(I use that only to shoot guys I know i can hit fairly reliably. And yeah, at 30m, I miss a fair bit of rounds 3-5 round bursting moving targets, and the EM6's own bad CoF bloom at range. Those are not the targets im talking about. I am talking the clowns on vehicle terminal stairs who I shoot as they run up, drill the chest, which is where I aim, center mass, biggest target area and unload as they run up, then after, yes, hitting with them prolly 10-12-13, 18-20-25-30 rounds rounds they stop and insta gib me...? seriously? I think not.

When you remove all the ******** and hacks, lag, hit detect and other w/e **** increases TTK, typically early morning for me, when alot of the questionable ******** isnt happening, I kill people in 12-15 rounds lol. Hell, just last night I killed a medic in 10 rounds with my EM6, I was truly amazed to see someone die that fast.

But what you say only proves to show that the guys who stop and in less then a second insta gib you from 20m with an Orion, are clearly aim botting. Or those guys who ADADAD strafe with a Corvus from 30m away and kill me in less then a second, while not ADS are aim botting as well. I know guns have CoF bloom, I know they have recoil, those are things you cannot get rid of....And hipfire on most guns is pretty bad, esp when trying to move with them.

But I do honestly think Fast RoF weapons do lose bullets in transit. Its why, despite its absurdly fast RoF weapons like the MCG and TRV dont kill instantly like you would think. I have less issue killing people with my CARV then I do with the MCG, even at MCG's shining ranges of 10m or less...I have even gotten a guy with the TRV from 2 inches, full auto him in the body and I lost...yet when I take the same TRV and 3-5 round burst it at 30m, it kills alot faster. Which only goes to show, SoE needs to fix their hit detect....period. If SoE fixed hit detect they would really go a long way to really fixing alot of the issues in this game.

Its not the guns are really OP or UP....its hit detect decides it wants to make half ur rounds just vanish into nanite air....
  7. Tentakewls

If you shoot someone that has 350 latency he doesn't have time to react either, what part of that you don't understand? Client side hit detection lessens the massive advantage low ping players have over high ping players, it doesn't makes them magically better like you seem to think. Server side hit detection just makes anyone with 150 ping instantly lose any fight, something that ACTUALLY removes all skill from the game. All you want is instantly win against anyone with a higher ping than you and aparently you call that "skill", which is funny, since if you can beat someone that is delayed 350ms behind everything you must be pretty awful. But hey, I'm sure you'll love to go play on a European/American server with 300 latency right? Why don't you do it and see how easy it is? Don't worry, I know you wont.

"Competitive FPS" games don't kick people with high ping, servers do, server side hit detection is far worse when it comes to dealing with latency than client side one is and having people with high ping on your side means he's useless. Which is irrelevant since PS2 doesn't have server side hit detection, so I still don't see how having high ping here gives you an advantage.

If SOE implemented your brilliant ideas, this game would be dead in a month or two. You just throw around words like fairness and skill, but all you really want is to have a massive advantage over people because you have a better ping.
    • Up x 3
  8. FABIIK

What about VR training ?
    Do bullets also 'vanish' in the training room ?
  9. LibertyRevolution

VR training is how the game would work if it had serverside hit detection.
    • Up x 1
  10. Pikachu

I think PS2 ping indicator is wrong often. Today mine has jumped between 80 and 355 yet most of the time it shows green color and my internet connection is fine and my ping graph tool to the servers shows normal values. Also I have vastly different ping for Ceres and Cobalt.

Current ping:
    Cobalt: 330 red
    Ceres: 86 green
  11. Nepau

I wish that was possible for me. It seems that I never get lower then 100ms to any US MMO server. Personallly I hover around 100-130 and I find that acceptible, if only because it seems the routing between me and MMO servers in general ( when I do things like a TF2 server or anything similer it is in the 70-90 range) will not allow more.
  12. FABIIK

Really? o_O
    And did the devs say why they decided to use server side hit detection in the VR instead of client side ?
  13. LibertyRevolution

No they didn't, but the dummies don't have a client to acknowledge the kill, so they are hosted on the server.
    Havent you ever wondered why guns feel so awesome on VR compared to live? The server knows the exact location of the dummies.
  14. Epic High Five

Nobody said anything on Mattherson because the gold standard for us for throttling lag weirdness is NivX, to which no mortal can compare. Someone with 350ms? A trifle
  15. Pootisman

This is true! Yesterday i was forced to play with mobile internet because cable was down and to my surprise the game got easier! Enemies were simply easier to kill.

In other games players with high ping have a disadvantage, in PS2 an advantage ... WTF?

Devs really need to work on the netcode, it cant be that a unstable mobile connection (150-270ms) gives you an advantage over a 100mbit cable connection (50-60ms).
  16. ZeroErrorz

who ?
  17. Epic High Five

• Up x 2
  18. Codex561

I play 300+ and it is fine imo.
    But when people lag they say that its because I am in the vehicle or they say that they are having the 'codex561 experience'....
  19. Posse

If you think high ping is an advantage, explain why half my deaths are behind cover, explain what's the advantage of having to waste ammo because of delayed feedback in the kill notification, explain to me why I die with my overshield full despite having pressed F before dying, etc, etc. Don't make me laugh, any time I have 300 ping for whatever reason instead of 200, I do MUCH, MUCH worse.

As for the competitive FPS argument, that's completely unrelated, lol. And if SOE implemented auto-kick this game wouldn't be more or less competitive, that's related to the skill of the playerbase and the existence (or not) of easy mode weapons. This game would be far more competitive if shotguns didn't exist, proxy mines didn't exist, MAXes weren't the overpowered BS that they are, etc, etc.
    • Up x 4
  20. Revel

I wouldn't even bother to play at that level.