How much ping is considered acceptable

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ZeroErrorz, May 20, 2014.

1. Tuco

We don't like your kind around these parts.
    • Up x 1
  2. NCstandsforNukaCola

High ping gives you advantage only when you are popping out.
    Other than that, almost every situation will become disadvantage including basic gameplay such as accuracy, hit registration.
    I play on Connery 180~250 ms but 300 seems so high to me
    • Up x 1
  3. LibertyRevolution

I have played this when the server is having a heart attack and everyone has 4000 pings.. have you??
    You have no idea what you are talking about.. it is you that needs to stop posting.
    It seems you never bothered to make an alt on a server where you have a 300+ ping..
    I never felt disadvantaged, it felt like I was running around in godmode..

I had a BR30 on briggs, until that server died, and I made a new alt on connery.
    I have 6 characters, I have over 100 DAYS of playtime, I know how the game works.. you don't seem to.
  4. Tentakewls

Aparently you missed the "I play with 250ish ping", that's at best, always, since I play from Argentina. I've always played with high ping, 250 at best, 350 average.
    Everyone has 4k latency because the server lags? Completely irrelevant since, you know, THE SERVER is what's lagging which is absolutely different to someone with 50 ping fighting someone with 300 ping and have nothing to do with each other.
    I think I know how the game works better than some guy with 3 chars on Waterson...
    If you can't tell the diference between the server dying and having high latency then please be quiet.
    • Up x 2
  5. Kunavi

At 500-600MS you get a limited window to play as the Server will DC you eventually, or at least that's what happens to me when the connection happens to crap out for no reason. Doesn't happen often at all though... But reaching ~200 or 300 under certain circumstances(Massive drops in large facilities already occupied and under siege, as an example) happens a bit more often(BTW it goes back to normal very fast); It's then that I can definitely see what LibertyRevolution is talking about. I don't exactly stop playing until I'm back to normal when that happens(It's not my fault so I don't care), so I've experienced it first hand.

PS2 is too open to manipulation... :S
  6. Fenrisk

Your completely wrong and your doing exactly what your accusing other posters of doing. Research it yourself. Most PC FPS games use server side hit detection and have auto-kick option for any player exceeding 150 ping/latency. The reason they do this is high ping players ruin competitive play as fractions of a second matter in gun play and often players with high ping have unstable connections which cause them to warp on the screens of low ping players. It sometimes gives them players a massive advantage or disadvantage.

Planetside 2 for whatever reason chose client side hit detection. The worst possible choice for any competitive game. High latency to the server doesn't any disadvantages here as there is no any server side NPC's, mobs or hazards. If you have High latency here it is a straight up advantage as anyone you get the drop on will die if you can hit the broad side of a barn. If your ping is 350 and your TTK is 3.5 you will gib that player before he can take any action. If you meet another infantry player head unless he can kill you faster then your latency combined with your TTK he will lose or at best there will be a double kill. That's why double kills are more common here then nearly all other PC FPS games. A dead player can kill you if you have low ping and he has high ping. That's also why infantry fights in this game don't come down to twitch ganmeplay. As soon as you meet anyaverage laggy player you will lose.

In a game where the average TTK is as low as 0.1 too 0.4 you only need a ping of 400 to completely make all infantry engagements double kill moments or instant wins. That's why infantry battles in this game are so bad. The network code for this game is wonky and causes players with great connections on their local server to have ping's over 100 when they should have a latency between 25 and 50.

You see pilots abusing the client side hit detection every now and again to avoid death. Next time you see that ESF suddenly Warp away when you have low ping. Blame client side git detection. Next time you die after being behind cover for a full second. Yep client side!

It's one of the main reasons PS2 isn't valued for as much it's competitive play. Till they make it server side hit detection with auto-kick for players above 200 ping/lenancy all infantry battles will be a joke.
  7. TeknoBug

I'm on west coast so Connery is best for me however when they added ping to the scoreboard I realized I'm 120-140ms to that server, what the actual F? Mattherson is about 150ms most of the time but that server has been lagging so bad lately (up to about 350ms during peak hours). In most games I ping below 90ms.
  8. Fenrisk

That's why you have no understanding of latency issues in a FPS. You have never played a FPS with 25 ping or experienced what it's like to play other players all at low ping. Nor have you experienced what it's like to play at 25 ping and face players with 350 ping. Till you have you have no idea what your talking about.

BTW I have played games with 250 ping back in the 90's in the days of quake 3 on a 56k modem. I know what it's like to have to lead targets because I had high ping and to have other players complain about my latency. Fortunately due to fiber-optic now my ping on FPS games is as low as 22 and no higher then 50 unless I play on a US server and then it ranges between 80 and 120.

High ping causes YOU to warp on THEIR screen in many FPS games. It gives YOU a advantage. At least with server side hit detection it prevents you from getting kills because of your ping as you will be seeing players were they were rather then where they are currently. On server side hit detection you can't shoot them based on where they were and get kills.

PS2 operates with of client side hit detection. Your shooting where that player WAS not where that player currently is located on the server. It's a straight up advantage. Every time you get a kill you have a 350 latency advantage that would get you kicked from most PC FPS games.
  9. hostilechild

Its situational whether high ping is an advantage or disadvantage. If you are standing still and i round a corner you will be a sitting duck on my screen and not see me until after i kill you (will seem like a 1 shot kill even though i put 15 rounds in you). On the flip side if you round a corner and have received my updated position before doing so, i will not see you until 500ms later and feel like i got 1 shotted. (add in server positioning processing etc and 500 is like 800ms) So if you have high ping its even more important to keep moving.

The game is udp not tcp based though(no resent dropped packets). So if lose connection for too long (too high ping) all those packets go into oblivion and won't register. I have had instance of 2000-3000ms where people were warping or standing still on my screen. Shoot them and see nothing then 2-3 seconds later get the red X and kills. Then i also die instantly. If you are moving your warping if you were standing still well your lieing face down where you were standing.

right now high ping might be more disadvantage as hit registration seems directly affected by ping. I have ~110ms to every server from Ohio, odd as i thought east/west would make a difference. In the rare times i have had hit detect issues the ping climb to around 300-400ms. Maybe something to prevent lag switchers? (was a huge issue with Scouts in TF capture flag) jump, lag, piper blows bombs, unlag get flag and run..... The lag switch video posted is good example of it except in ps2 i don't think people would freeze but keep moving in a straight line (client side prediction) but if they were standing still, well darwinism.
  10. Tentakewls

Except you are making the mistake of someone who has never played with high latency and assuming that all of this doesn't happen to people with high ping. Not only does this happen but it'll happen MORE to anyone with high ping. I see ESF warp or acelerate at imposible speed 50% of the time, I die while in cover even if I only peaked for 0.2 seconds, during big battles I see people suddenly run at ridiculous speed which makes them imposible to hit, I see people clip through walls/ceilings/floors and then rubber band back to where they should be while they are shooting me and can't do anything about it.
    So explain me, how is suffering from the problems this game has, plus more that you'll never experiene with 50 ping an "advantage". If it is then how come you don't see thousands of Americans moving to the European servers and viceversa to abuse this advantage? It's because it isn't. You are also assuming that the game is split between low latency players vs high latency players, while in reality, high latency players also fight others with high latency.
    As for the reason to use client side, is because it makes it easier on the server, which is already stressed as hell. If server side hit detection was implemented, big fights in this game would be unplayable.
    • Up x 3
  11. Tentakewls

I've played with low ping, I obviously meant I've always payed with high latency on this game. Go play this game on a server with 350 ping for as much as I have and tell me you have an advantage.
    • Up x 1
  12. Fenrisk

Nothing worse then having a ping of 22 and dealing with players with 350 in a FPS game. This is especially true with any FPS with client side hit detection to "help" players with crappy connections hit their targets. SOE made it client side so everyone could play PS2 regardless of their latency issues even though it punishes anyone with a ping below 50.

I would pay for a member only server where players have server side hit detection and auto kick for anyone above 150 ping. Now that would improve this game 10 fold and make this game competitive.
  13. hostilechild

Even with 90-110 ping i see this same ****. The effect runs both ways. The high pinger is warping, moving in bursts on my screen just like everyone is on their screen. I feel for the high ping players having played on a 56k in planetside one and TF and other games in past its super freakin hard (god forbid to HPB run into each other). as everyone is doing what Low pings only see a few doing. Even though i used to hate LPB and HPB one and the same. ITs the lag switcher that are the *****! And when i die to a .2 sec strafe out and back, this comes to mind everytime. (even at 500ms ping, he would not be able to miss even when client prediction shows me 3 steps not 1 step out, after 500ms he gets the update and i am back inside)

Ping protection should be implemented at TTK (roughly 550ms) any updates(hits) from pings above that are dropped until it comes down. Kind of what it feels like they are doing with the bad hit detection issues right now.
  14. Regpuppy

You don't want to play on a server where your ping is absurd. Because while everyone else seems behind to you, YOU seem behind to everyone else as well. So you'll spend just as much time dying around corners as you do getting kills on people who think they're in cover.

The only real way to utilize it to the fullest is taking advantage of cover and constant motion to play fairly aggressively in CQC. But that works for both sides. A lot of experienced player is either instinctively or consciously aware of their "lag ghost" after playing for so long.
  15. Fenrisk

Since you have no idea what the enemy players ping is you can't use it to your advantage if you have a low ping. When two low ping players face off the winner is the normally the guy with better aim, twitch gameplay and use of cover. When your facing a high ping player forget about cover all you can do is make sure all your shots hit and kill him before he kills you as he will have enough time on his screen to kill you before you can reach or use cover.
  16. Regpuppy

Even low ping players can take advantage of this because of the inherent lag compensation in this game. This is why you can seemingly die around corners, even when facing primarily same-region players. Higher ping players only have an extremely slight difference when it comes to this.
  17. Tentakewls

I know it happens both way, that's my point. The problem is that people who have never played with high latency assume that if you have high latency you are magically immune to this and you don't die behind cover or experience warping, while in reality, all of this is even worse for higher latency players.
    • Up x 1
  18. Tentakewls

Im pretty sure that noone with high latency can magically know what latency other players have. Also, if you peak for 0.5 seconds, shoot and hide back the high latency player doesn't magically ignores cover, he only gets the same data later. If you die behind cover fighting against someone with high ping the same player would've killed you while you were out of cover if he had low ping. He doesn't magically gain "more time" to shoot you.
  19. KnightCole

Ok, so if on my screen I hit a guy with 10 bullets and he should be dead, why doesnt the dude die?

Cuz, if it only matters whats on my screen, one would think TTK would be exactly how many bullets we need to kill them

1000hp, 20% resistance with NWA, its what? 8-12 bullet kill with an EM6? like 8 with a Gauss SAW.....

Why am I never able to drop a guy with less then like 15....and lately guys have literally taken 26 rounds to kill...account for some missing, 18? 20? 24? I dont miss much, I can see my hit marks and my aim is pretty on target most times.
    • Up x 1
  20. Axehilt

And is it easier to land those shots on opponents who are skidding wildly over the screen due to infrequent/inaccurate packet updates, or opponents who follow predictable paths because you have crisp, quick packet updates?

CSHD and Ping has never been an issue of whether your shots register reliably. It's always been an issue of how smooth and predictable things look on your end.
    • Up x 1