How much ping is considered acceptable

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ZeroErrorz, May 20, 2014.

1. Valok

Well since I live in SA I'm always playing online games (US-based) with 150-200ms. Honestly after years of having to deal with you just end up getting used and learn how to compensate a bit for it. From my experience as long as the game does not uses a server side detection you can still play competitively most games with said ping. When however we enter the 300ms+ line things starts to get really wierd - I would not recommend a "active role" if you have such ping.

But overall yes there are clear disadvantages for playing with 100ms+.. (You start getting damaged before you see the enemy firing animation - shield sometimes also refuses to pop in time even though I pressed F before the enemy opened fire, at medium-long ranges deflection shots can be a huge pain in the rear, and so on)
    • Up x 1
  2. Fenrisk

I already explained why YOU die behind cover. That's due to YOUR OWN connection and is therefore YOUR problem. It shouldn't be anyone else's. According to the server your still outside of cover because of your 250 - 350 ping. If you had 25 ping you would be in cover according to the server and that's the only thing that should matter. What the server says.

Everyone else with ping's below 50 or even 100 are actually in cover according to the server when that player sees it. They are in cover according to their team mates who have a good connection, they are in cover according to the server and are in cover according to themselves. Despite all this one lagger who can't afford a better connection comes along and his magic bullets ignore what the server says, ignores what other players see and ignores that players actions to hit him inside cover.

A prime example of where laggers have a advantage over low ping players. If a low ping player faces a low ping player they have time to react to his shots as it's almost like playing on a LAN and they have time to avoid them or counter. If that player was facing someone with 350 ping they would have no time to react at all and nothing they could do would matter. A low ping player doesn't know if he's facing a lagger or another low ping player till after combat while a lagger KNOWS everyone he faces will share the same problems HE brings to every single fight. That's where low ping players suffer. We don't know if we are facing a lagger or a low ping player and we don't know how bad their lag is unless we magically die to magic bullets/shells<- get it? Lag should be that players problem not ours.

Put a lagger on a lib gun and he will wrack up kills as by the time players react it's already too late. Put a low ping player on a lib gun and players have more time to react. <--- PRIME example of where laggers get a siginificant advantage in this game.

Keep the non constructive reply's or insults to yourself. No place for it here on the forums.
  3. ZeroErrorz

about the lib thing, if the pilot is lagging and the gunner isnt shouldnt it be a disadvantage since the gunner actualy have a late vision of his target and need time to sync with the pilot location, i mean if the pilot stop and got shot by flak and start going away before the gunner sync with him, i think the gunner will only see what happend after that not before that since bascily in theory the pilot is teleporting, am i right ?
  4. Fenrisk

It could be a disadvantage for a low ping pilot if he's facing enemies that pop out of cover to shoot at him and he's only relying on his gunner to kill them before they can shoot at the lib although the pilot can just fly to avoid the fire himself which is the best of both worlds. His gunner can kill them easier as a lagger because the max/infantry will react too late to avoid his fire and since the gunners safe inside the lib he can't go from zero to dead in 0.3 seconds.. A lib takes a long time to be taken out (31 seconds min with skyguard at pbr) so even a delay of 0.3 seconds isn't a major issue for it but for infantry or maxe's on the ground that 0.3 seconds is enough to kill them before they reach cover.
  5. HerpTheDerp

If you want to play competetively? <50
    If you want to play seriously? <100
    If you want to just play? <200

Anything more and you might as well not play at all.
    • Up x 1
  6. Posse

Can't afford a better connection? There's something called DISTANCE, if you live far from the server, you have high ping simply because information can't travel faster than light, and I'm playing in the closest server I could possibly play.

Meanwhile, keep being bad and finding excuses.

Sorry, I can't hear you over my Comm Clash championship while playing with 220 ping.
    • Up x 1
  7. Tentakewls

Then play on a server with high ping and enjoy the benefits! What? You wont because everything you said it's a lie? Oh...ok. Also, "laggers"...how old are you? You seem to think people with high latency choose to have high latency and are all conspiring to ruin your game. But you are right, I apologize, as an adult, I shouldn't argue with children.
    Yes, people with high latency cheat because they are mean people and only kill you because they are cheating and not because they are better than you. And yes, if you have a better connection you deserve to have an advantage over people with higher latency, just as if you are a subscribe you should have access to better guns than F2P people and people with good computers should have an advantage over people with crappy ones. Since you still haven't shown a single instance of this one sided advantage you claim exists, then I guess you just don't have one...especially after that liberator comment, since "lagger" or not, I've never seen people actively dodge dalton shots.
    • Up x 2
  8. Posse

Well, this one is unavoidable :p
  9. Tentakewls

True although it should be avoided. ( I'm looking at you...low graphics infiltrator cloak )
  10. Posse

Oh, I was thinking more about the framerate advantage people with better hardware have. Agreed with that one.
  11. Posse

[IMG]

Because high ping is an advantage!!!!!!!!!!!!11111one
  12. Pootisman

In PS2, a ping of 50 feels like a ping of 150 in Team Fortress (or other source games). Theres always a noticealbe delay in PS2.

Higher ping actually makes PS2 easier. I was forced to play with mobile internet yesterday (150-270ms ping) and i felt like rambo, because people were simply easier to kill.
    • Up x 1
  13. Colonelveers12

lol I find these threads funny. People ***** when their ping get over 200 D: (omg my world is ending). My highest ping, just over 115,000. Try playing the game like that, I'll give you a hint, you can't.
  14. CyraxUA

Confirm, ping around 150-250 gives a huge advantege
    used to play in 88 but its sucks now i will use "torrent" for pro playing and i do recomend it !
    Sorry for Necropost but its still actual.this is a huge bug and must be repair
  15. patrykK1028

Yeah, I hate lagers... I dont even know how many times I had situation like this:
    I see some Lightning, shoot a rocket to him, go behind cover and... die 10 meters behind the wall.
    Or lagging infantryguys, completely impossible to hit by sniper.
    Lagging vehicles - not moving at all in one second, then 2x speed for another second.
    And finally, guys who are teleoporting each milisecond, completely immortal but making giant killstreaks.
  16. SpartanPsycho

The funny thing about this post is that you managed to whine about libs in it.
  17. QuantumSerpent

If my PING is over 150, I don't go to close quarters.

If it's over 300, I run away.

If it's over 1000, I log off.
  18. Unsp0kn

Mine spikes quite often, sometimes over 100,000. Usually it settles between 150-250, and I never feel like it's an advantage at all. If anything it's a disadvantage all the time because when I engage someone, usually they have already started firing and I just haven't seen it yet. Try to dodge and return fire, dead. Usually they barely have any damage taken themselves on the death screen.