GU11 Ends Lattice Standoffs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by St0mpy, Jun 20, 2013.

1. chrisbeebops

Esamir and Amerish flip at least every few days on my server. But not for the reasons you list. They flip daily due to continent & world pop imbalances which means one faction will capture the continent with overwhelming numbers while the other factions are fighting on another continent or sleeping.

I have never seen anyone capture a continent during primetime when continent populations are capped for all 3 factions. And only rarely have I see locks broken when populations are capped for all 3 factions. Pretty much always when a continent lock is made or broken at the moment, it happens due to a massive population imbalance.
    • Up x 2
  2. KAHR-Alpha

I don't play on prime time only. And anyway it is irrelevant since all that matters is how evenly matched populations are.

And I do remember very well what happens when an enemy faction gets close to a warpgate on a non-empty continent, a massive tank swarm instantly leave the warpgate for the last piece of land to defend, and hundreds of people rush towards the cap point as quickly as they can.

And while the attacking faction is busy trying to warpgate another with all their forces, their whole territory is left undefended for the remaining faction to cap it. At best, the attacking faction can play pendulum between both warpgates, but will not get the continent cap. If they try to fight on both fronts at once, then they have to fight 2:1 on each.

Continent capping with balanced population on non-empty continent just doesn't work with the previous mechanism. If you've seen that happen on your server, then man, they must be very bad there.
  3. Boomotang

No backtracking is needed. Instead of "zerging" down one lane or row of hexes and then spreading out when you reach the target, you now have to move your front line in a more organized fashion. You have to attack from multiple directions BEFORE you get there.

It is a lot harder with the lattice, but the biggest problem is the three way fight.
  4. St0mpy

hehe the link is in my post as well as the bit you quoted, click where its green or in the darker part of what you quoted of me, thats how links work on this forum ;)

as for the direct insults, thats unnecessary buddy, no counter from me, you and everyone else can enjoy your FPS since the last part in the strategy of conquering the continent just departed the game. Its just a huge FPS with little meaning to anything else now. 8km CoD.
  5. Boomotang

I thought you were referring to an entirely different thread. Not just a post where you had no valuable information.

Our goal is to make continent domination and denial during prime time a tough but reasonably achievable goal and to reduce the situations where entire empires would hold out in a single facility.

What exactly is wrong with this? This is a GOOD thing!
  6. St0mpy

Would you consider Miller to be a bad server? 1000 hours in planetside says ive seen it plenty. Not trying to outdo you or talk your opinion down, its just what ive experienced.
  7. IamDH

You do realise that taking 100% of a continent is pretty much impossible right?
    I'm on Woodman and i have never seen a continent takeover yet. It is now a viable option, cramming everyone into one hex is bad for all the reasons mentioned above.
  8. travbrad

I totally agree. The problem is lattice, not the percentages needed to cap a continent. Amerish and Esamir get capped almost every day, while Indar (the only continent with lattice) is just a huge stalemate of giant zerg versus giant zerg.

This is like shooting yourself in the foot then putting a bandage on it, when you should have just not shot yourself in the foot in the first place.

Not on Connery it's not. The only continent that is impossible to take on Connery is Indar, the only one with lattice. Must just be a coincidence huh?
    • Up x 1
  9. St0mpy

BTW all I just calculated the bases you dont have to cap now. Pre lattice indar had 73, lattice indar deleted 8 leaving (i hope) 65. GU11 now reduces that to needing only 49.

YOUR FACTION WINS THE CONTINENT BY LEAVING 16 BASES NEAREST THE GATE UNCONQUERED.

Thats your 25% everyone. Honestly thats pathetic for a game based around taking land. As I said, byebye to the last hard strategic play of the game and dumb de dumb de dumb down went the great game we called planetside 2, well for the first 6 months of its life at least.
    • Up x 1
  10. DJStacy

I think my play time should let me have my pennies worth.

Im not certain in the % level, should be increased 10/15%

I think it will actually add an element to think about during prime hours, especially when there are world wide alerts on. We will have to balance our forces as factions to maintain our locks and do well in the alert.
    On the flip side if you have a lower pop and decide instead of taking on the alert you will go for a cont lock/removal.
    There will be more to think about not less, strategic land around certain points in the lattice will become as important as the bases.

I think everyone will have to pay more attention or get caught off guard, and there's no reason why fights wont still be great when you know its your last base. Its still the last base and all those that can read the map will be there fighting for it, or organising where they can hit to take the pressure off.

I would personally rather have this, instead of screen flicker and terrible lag because so many players are in close proximity to each other at the last base.

Before you quote me pls remember that Ive been involved in cont locks at all times of day/night, and dominating victories where we have had great inter outfit CoOp. without which non would be possible. Woodman TR have stepped up in communicating recently, long may it rain.
  11. ColdCheezePizza

this made me sad :(
  12. MrK

It was already the case long before Lattice, Indar was far more rarely capped than the other 2.

Indar cap on Miller can be counted on the fingers of 2 hands, and the latest ones since last February always lasted super long, with VS detaining the longest cap, month+ of purple Indar.
    In the same timeframe, we (NC) have had tons of caps and loss on Esamir (Miller NC seemed to have a fixation over Esamir).
    All this before we even heard about Lattice.

I'm sorry, as much as Lattice has plenty of flaws, seeing never ending attempts to blame Lattice for issues non related begins to really be tiring.
  13. Boomotang

It's because Indar is the most populated. It always has been, even before the lattice. Higher population on all sides makes it harder to cap a continent because it fills up the gaps. When down to the last territory, it means that you have a crapload of troops to defend that one spot.
  14. St0mpy

Yes, while I was calculating I was wondering the same, why so much? Why not just 5 or 10% if they just needed to sweep the lattice problems under the carpet, 25 is just, well, dumb imo.

ALSO: another big part of this issue is how easy itll be losing your continent bonus over to NOC (no overall control). its going to be insanely easy to rob a faction of its bonus without actually taking 49 territories, in theory as soon as two factions have 75% between them whoever owns the continent promptly loses it?
  15. Boomotang

Why not? That makes sense. Why should you OWN a continent bonus if you can't keep control over the continent?
  16. Zotamedu

That implies that continent capping has ever meant something which is not true. Continent capping has always been meaningless.
  17. travbrad

They are just getting it ready for the console (PS4) players.
  18. St0mpy

If you could just get off your defensive stool for a moment ;) ... its not blaming lattice, im saying lattice amplified the issue into massive stalemates no one could break.

Search out a post in the last couple of days about Waterson TR defending Indar bay against all sides and succeeding, I was there and it was no different to any of the 1 post standoffs ive seen/been in since lattice hit (night time alt account btw, my main is on miller).

I know no one in this thread wants to believe or understand that im speaking from experience and not just 'i hate lattice' feelings, these new standoffs are (were) very different from hex battles.

Oh and a bit about myself, since drawing flowcharts for TFC maps for my clan over 10 years ago ive also studied(passed) my OR classes at degree level. Dont know what OR is? If you dont want to google its a funny old branch of mathematical modelling where we use complex algorithms to model things like transportation, queuing theory, network optimisation, and in a smaller way CPA, all tools which can be used to model flows on any PS2 map pre or post lattice. I do get it, I just see things a bit deeper than many who only seem to find importance in irrelevancies such as ghostcapping.

Now dont get me wrong, im not saying I have all the answers, I just have better tools to analyse them with as well as have the mindset of analysis every time I play, I came to PS2 because it offered rich strategic and tactical play id not encountered elsewhere and the way huge outfits developed their squads into milsim type effective units almost give me a stiff one thinking about the level of organisation. Sadly each month goes by and another small part is stripped away. Who needs an air wing in a zerg when everythings shot down in seconds? Who needs a whole squad dedicated to tanks when a large proportion wont have resources to pull one after 10 minutes in the battle? Who even needs a leader at all when battles are so few and large with finding them so trivial? Its just sad to see such potential go this way, which is why I react to complex issues such as this. Nothing personal my friend :)
  19. travbrad

I agree Indar was always the least captured continent, but it was at least possible before lattice. On Helios we saw Indar get capped at least once a week, if not more. Since lattice was introduced there have been ZERO caps.

It doesn't seem "non related" when we went from 1-2 caps a week (pre-lattice) to 0 caps in a month. By my calculations that is a 100% drop in Indar caps since lattice was introduced.
  20. Jaeger TR player

You have a flaw in your reasoning. Some bases control more territory than others. It will not be a fixed quantity of bases. It's not that simple. And again, this is a good thing. Bases, wether they be stations, towers or outposts, that control large areas of ground will be worth more than others insofar as the continent locking metagame. Combine that with the resource pressure this GU is bringing, the restrictions to lanes due to lattice (which I am not a fan of), and now territory size, it all makes for more strategy, not less.

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out on Esamir and Amerish, which are both still Hex based. I think this is a great step for Hex, and a good step for Lattice.