GU011: IRNV Scopes nerf

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Konfuzfanten, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Patrician

The problem is that the player base will, once this nerf is implemented, move to reflex sights almost to a man; so the next nerf will be to reflex sights in the form of "sway". Whats the betting there'll be an implant that will reduce "optic sway" coming along; for the price of 750 SC or 1000 certs.
    • Up x 1
  2. Patrician

It cannot possibly be "OP" because every player can use it, across all factions; it is ridiculous to suggest it.
  3. freeze

if the IRNV scope wasn't so much better, there wouldn't be nearly as much complaining about the nerf as we currently see.

I mean, if it's not that powerful anyways and not broken at all, like most of you claim, why can't you guys just switch to the 1x reflex sight?
    I mean shouldn't be a problem at all, right?

stop lying to yourselves pls :)
    • Up x 1
  4. Regpuppy

Bad definition of OP. OP with something that can be used across factions could mean so powerful that is discourages use of other similar upgrades/weapons available to the player. Which is probably what stats are showing for SOE. One obvious example would be an NS infantry weapon being released that's so strong every faction uses it and anyone who doesn't have it can't compete.

That being said. I do agree that this nerf is a bit much. There's no arguing that there's no reason not to use it when you're going for a 1x scope. But adding sway to a 1x scope is a bit absurd to say the least. More reasonable changes would be making it less friendly to use during the day and maybe a slight reduction in visual range with it.

Also, reflex sights need that dot adjusted or some sort of laser crosshair instead. The dot is huge and covers up targets. This is why if people absolutely hate the new NV scope, you'll see tons moving to higher zooms or sticking with iron sights.
    • Up x 1
  5. zib1911

The point is going over your head. If EVERYONE only uses one scope, that is because it is better then other scopes, IE its OP. The reason for certs is to CHOOSE, if one is obviously better then its not a choice right?
  6. Patrician

If all players across all factions have access to a piece of equipment, by definition, it cannot be "OP".
    • Up x 1
  7. Patrician

So, if everyone drops HR/NV and switches to iron sights will they then be "OP" and need a nerf? I'm sorry but I cannot see how it affects game play if one piece of equipment is used above others; now if they're upset that players aren't certing/buying other scopes and passing SOE money, then that is a different matter and I can see why SOE want to reduce it's usability. But if that is the case they should be honest and say so.
    • Up x 2
  8. Nocturnal7x

You would think, with all the stupid crap they have changed, stupid crap thats not super simple to change. You would have thought they'ed have fixed the RDS dot by now. I would have fixed it with 2 seconds in PS ffs.

These changes are stupid, just remove it from the game if you don't want peole using it. Then we can discuss the real issue, black vanu.

Why are they black now? They are supposed to be purple, also, they should have huge teal highlights similar to the NCs huge yellow highlights all over them.
    • Up x 2
  9. MrK

It makes all other scopes useless. You think they should make 1 NS gun better than anything else so that everyone use it, therefore achieving balance, and all will be good?
    It's the best scope out there suffering from none of the other scopes issues, for no reason. Why add scope twitching on movement if one of them is immune to it? Why add muzzle flash if one of them is immune to it? What reason right now is there to take even up to x3.4 scopes?
    • Up x 1
  10. MisterBond

Actual IRNV hasn't worked like that since 1985 -IE- First generation night vision which would blind you in daylight/bright lights shined at it etc

Movies/TV shows make a comedy act out of it a good near 30 years later that if you "Turn the lights on" you blind the person, when IRL second generation and up nightvision you can use even in the daytime for better vision.
    • Up x 1
  11. Firmware

Spoken like a true VS.

I use it almost exclusively when fighting VS at night. This scope nerf may effect all factions, but Vanu will also benefit from it.
    • Up x 2
  12. Goretzu

Sway on a 1x scope? It makes no sense at all. o_O
    • Up x 2
  13. phreec

From a balance perspective, it does.
  14. Goretzu

Reducing the range, or the resolution, or the clarity, or the contrast, all that would or could.

Adding scope sway to a 1x scope simply does not. It is simply a nonsensical arbitary nerf, which I assume was either the eaisest thing they could do or the first thing they thought of.
  15. Goretzu

I guarantee it.

"Steady Aim Implant - now in the cashshop for just 50SC a day!".
    • Up x 1
  16. o.Solei.o

I honestly think the nerf is pretty silly. IRNV is already situational due to the loss of long-range and a lot of target identification. This is coming from someone particularly prone to the effects of camoflage, as I tend to rely more on motion than shape to pick out targets at range. When it's useful, it's great, but when it's not, it's a drawback. Shouldn't that be payment enough?

The real issue though is that it's the last nail in the coffin for everyone simply turning their brightness up at night. The devs want nights to be really impressive looking, but if they don't make the night-sight attachments (IRNV, flashlights, etc.) more useful than hindering, it's not going to matter.

On that note though, we could use some extra night gear to make things more interesting. UBL flares, futuristic high powered cyalumes, low-light implants with a short "battery" life and long cooldown. (Actually, that last point sounds like a good reason to nerf IRNV scopes... Suspicion.)
  17. phreec

Can't argue against that. The problem with the IRNV scope is that it's an overlay, not an actual attachment on your gun. If they'd change that then it wouldn't need the sway as it'd have the same drawbacks as any other optics choice.
  18. Krayus_Korianis

I only use it on my Engineer for his TRAC-5 S with an underbarrel smoke launcher. I prefer using my 2x Reflex sights on my other guns. So please, type again how I'm using it on every gun I have? Please, go on some more you ignorant fool.

Also, It's flare* not flair... I never see muzzle flash on any weapon I use, simple because I don't notice it. I also use compensators, and those apparently blow towards the sky... So yea.

The only upsides to the scope is it highlights enemies at any time, unless they themselves are near something that is as white as they are. It lets you see through smoke, it's also a situational overlay that is only good for certain things... I.E. seeing through smoke and blasting people in the face.
  19. Patrician

But does it matter? If all players across all factions have access to it what does it matter if no one uses the other scopes?
    • Up x 1
  20. Frosty The Pyro

not quite, scopes that operate by an overlay as oposed to a model (such as the IRNV, and 6x+ scopes), had noticably less shaking. it easily noticable when you move, and especialy jump, your gun, and scope would jiggle all around your screen, with overlay style scopes this did not happen at all. Its why IRNV was the most favored scope by folks who like to crouch bunny hop in combat to abuse hitbox issues.