[BUG] Glimps of hope... Crushed.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Timeraider, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Tykune

If you look at your post, you kind of went against your own arguement. To clarify the 'broke' that people are talking about, is in terms of it not working properly on lower settings, which they are pretty much a very much spottable target regardless of their position.
  2. Marinealver

My Glimps of hope were lost after the launch date anouncement in the beta.
  3. Yunzura

yes from beta. it was just a draft, nothing amazing. dont let the title get you all in a fuss.

clearly if you are running around knifing heavies and what not without any serious effort to conceal yourself or remotely any sense of self preservation at all....one would think you would eventually get shot and die. but it was beta....the normal rules do not apply.

for the most part the cuts were timed to allow more footage into the video but if you would like to believe that in every single clip i died right after i cut away, that is your right =)

considering the death of the invisible infiltrator crouching still at 4:06, which even frame by frame is still completely undetectable/unviewable, i would venture to guess that i survived more of these skirmishes than you expect i did.
    plenty of times i ran out of ammo completely, and am forced to use the knife....but since i cut out those killing sprees and only showed the knife portion....they appear shorter.

i could go on but i think i will simply quote my original disclaimer once more.....
    "this is all a matter of opinion, the opinion is mine and said opinion is admittedly nubcake in nature"
    translated for you speed readers as "i am a noob"

-Natural Nubcake
  4. Colt556

They should just bring back a similar system to PS1. Just make cloak make you go 100% invisible, would work across all rigs, all settings, because the model data simply isn't being transmitted to you. Then add in something like darklight that can be toggled on or off to see cloakers at the expense of something else. Make it a suit slot or something, I don't know.

But this whole "lol it's a halo shimmer cloak" doesn't bloody work. It never has and it never will.
  5. Rhinzual

I would punch the next person who says halo cloak if my hatred could manifest itself across the internet. It's from the Predator series ffs.
    • Up x 1
  6. Colt556

You wanna compare the infiltrator cloak to the Predator one? Cuz I sure as hell don't. The predator cloak actually rendered the Predator invisible. Halo style made a various obvious shimmer and PS2 emulates that. If PS2 actually had a predator cloak nobody would care.
  7. Rhinzual

Ehh not really. Just watch the first and second movies and you'll see that obvious distortion effect. Best example is when Dutch is covered in mud and hiding from it (at the climax, long as it is) and waiting for the Predator to show up and notices it's moving literally inches away from him.
    • Up x 1
  8. Colt556

The Predator's cloak does shimmer, I wont dispute that. But there are plenty of scenes where the thing is totally invisible, or damned close to it. The shimmer is slight. You have to really be looking to notice it. Except, obviously, in the scenes where they want you to notice it. The cloak's efficiency changes depending on the scene, but for the most part the general consensus is that the shimmer is very slightly, only noticeable when they move, and even then still hard to notice.

If the infiltrator cloak worked like that it would be fine. 100% invisible when standing still and the shimmer ramps up in intensity from minor when crouched to rather noticeable when sprinting. But it doesn't work like that. Thus I can't call it a predator cloak.
  9. Aimeryan

Hey, been away for a good while; just coming back to ask if anything has changed? Is there another style of cloak available yet? Has that horrendous bug been fixed with the low graphics? Anything at all worth me coming back for?
  10. Rhinzual

No to all.
  11. Aimeryan

Then the thread title is truly apt.
  12. Rhinzual

The new pistols might change things, but I still think the class needs all kinds of work before it's anywhere near as good as the others. Stuff like Stalker cloak, the Anti-Materiel Ammo for sniper rifles, mainly the cool stuff from beta that got taken out for whatever reason.
  13. dean0au

Agreed.

I'll renew my membership when the cloak isn't perfectly visible to anyone with low settings and when the decloak noise range is where it was before they nerfed it to oblivion. Other than that, I was happy with the class.

Until then, my money goes elsewhere.
  14. PaperPlanes

As much as it probably sucks to hear, an initial over-correction for stealth is much better than an initial overpowering for stealth. If you start with amazing stealth mechanics, any tweaks to them will make the community flip the **** out and go into a panic. If it starts off mediocre and slowly hits the sweet spot, it works out a lot better.

But that's going on the idea that a game needs a stealth mechanic at all. I'd have been happier seeing no cloaking at all in PS2. It's a dated mechanic that is very very difficult to balance.
  15. Dr. Euthanasia

1. A dated mechanic is still a breath of fresh air compared to the rampant "modernization" of first person shooters these days. Aim-down sights and half second TTKs don't fit every game yet we see them almost everywhere.

2. Stealth mechanics aren't hard to balance, they just demand some consideration in the rest of your game design. Team Fortress 2, Tribes: Ascend, Blacklight: Retribution, and Global Agenda have all pulled it off in the past. Of course, those games didn't make the mistake of trying to run imperfect stealth across different graphics settings, but I could have told SOE why that (and imperfect stealth as a whole) was a horrible idea the first day it was proposed. The difference here being, what those other games did is capable of balance while what we have here cannot ever be balanced in its current form.
  16. Xocolatl

I just changed my CPU recently, and I noticed that Cloak effect had changed for me (I haven't played in a while). I was really surprised so I came in to make a thread about it, only to find a somewhat similar one here.

From the shimmering/distortion effect, now I see people in a faded, translucent form, but I actually see them. I'm not sure what happened, but simply put...Infils don't even feel cloaked anymore to me. They are pretty damn near fully visible.
  17. Timeraider

Welcome to our world.. welcome .. :(
  18. Xocolatl

My condolences. I hope this bug get fixed soon. As of right now, my Mana turret can actually kill someone...a defenseless, bugged class, but still..at least it has kill counts.