[BUG] Glimps of hope... Crushed.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Timeraider, Feb 20, 2013.

1. VonGrimm

Since the last patch, I have no problem seeing Infiltrators while they are cloaked. They appear white and transparent. I can see them from great distances. I can also see them fine while they are crouched and not moving.

Mostly, I don't shoot them, partly feeling bad, partly because it feels cheap and I don't want to be accused of hacking.

I did not have this issue in beta, or before the rendering patch(s). I have not changed any settings on my machine.
  2. Tenebrae Aeterna

Anyone can adapt to inadequacy,

You can play chess without your Queen, and win...that doesn't mean it was a fair game. An individual of whom has had their legs amputated can eventually learn to perform all the every day functions of which a non-handicapped person can perform...but it doesn't mean they're no longer at a disadvantage.
    • Up x 1
  3. hammyhamm

They increased the cloak sound as before it was too short and too quiet - it's meant to be a method to prevent the cloak+smg from being too powerful. It would be good if they added in better terrain/building sound occlusion but I'm not sure if that is a priority.

I do agree that there are some issues regarding cloak rendering between different graphics settings but the core mechanics of the cloak is fine - it just requires people being a bit more careful about when/where they cycle cloak.
  4. Rhinzual

That balance logic would make more sense if it was wielding the SMG that caused the sound. So my non-SMG sniper (not enough SC and certs) has to suffer because of a perceived balance issue? I could easily say the same of LAs + C4/SMGs, especially since you can barely hear those jets of their's. Oh, I could say the same of dual hacksaws/scattercannons in BioLabs, or Zephyr/Dalton farming Libs who can kill anyone with impunity if there isn't a dedicated Annihilator Squad nearby.
    • Up x 1
  5. hammyhamm

Generally infiltrators using ranged weaponry are at a distance where the cloak cycle does not play. In situations with alot of combat, it is entirely lost to the sound of explosions/weaponfire.

I'll also attempt to answer the rest of your words but I really shouldn't need to:
    1. Light assault jetpack noise probably should be increased, but we are talking about infiltrators right now so this is not important to the current topic.
    2. NC anti-infantry maxes are extremely vulnerable to kiting at range. Whilst the Biolab does show off their ability in close counters, it is one of the few places where they can be used effectively - outdoors they are extremely easy to kill. Again, has nothing to do with this discussion.
    3. Liberators are extremely vulnerable to ESFs and Skyguards. Two clever infantry can kill a liberator with G2A missiles also.

It's almost as if you are attempting to prove your argument by using highly situational exceptions :O (you are bad; get out)
  6. Jex =TE=

I just download a 170MB patch last night and the cloak is still the same. I can see cloaked infi's at least out to 200m - why was this not fixed in the patch. Why do LA's get silent jetpacks but we get a cloak heard from 100M away? Anyone who thinks the Infi is fine as it is is living in a fantasy world.
  7. Jex =TE=

Before GU2 it worked the other way around, low settings the cloak was all glassy and worked fine on low end, on high end people said they could see them pretty easily.

Stupid is as stupid does I guess
  8. Jex =TE=

You're post is incorrect in a few areas. Above your post someone has already stated they heard and tracked an infil at the crown mid battle. Nowhere is more contested so if you can hear them there, you can hear them everywhere. I hear them easily over the other sounds - if you play enough and are perceptive, you will learn to recognise that sound (and what faction it is as well) right away.

Libs are not extremely vulnerable to SG's - I know, I drive one and can tell you first hand that a complete magazine to a Lib will not do a lot of damage to it.

Infi's do not generally use range weaponry, we are forced to because of the shiity cloak and since we get a bum deal on shields and everything else, what are we expected to do, charge into battle with a sniper rifle? The cloak cycle does play at range too as if you fail to kill a target, you need to cloak to stop from being seen or to get out the area. However LA's have magical jetpacks that make no sound - i bet you if they were heard out to 100M they would be QQ'ing here because all of a sudden they're dying in droves. Infi's though don't matter, the b*stard child of PS2.
    • Up x 2
  9. Jex =TE=

Do you mean things like murder their girlfriends by shooting them through bathroom doors?

*ducks for cover*

;)
  10. Yunzura

Timeraider, let's drop the "we deserve more" angle, it is coming off a bit needy and the game offers ten guns beyond the two pistols ( fun fact: during beta the shotguns were also given to us, but that was very unwise thus promptly removed)

To start....when I read demands followed by ***** I stop reading because no one who truly wants something ever requests it in such a way, except the all too common angry-child category....(which I am sure we all can agree, there are plenty of already.)

You had two or more choices before you posted here, you could have chosen to

BE AGGRESSIVE - revel in the challenge that you must regularly face superior numbers of better equipped, more heavily armored gunfighters usually behind enemy lines far from friendlies...because you are skilled enough to kill them all despite being alone, outgunned and out maned.

BE FEARLESS - you fear the other classes. they should fear you. laugh an evil laugh as you use your radar to avoid a pack of enemies, then, just before you fire on the leader of the pack..... call in their location to teammates who can and are able to assist you with killing them.

..or you could choose to
    BE UNPREDICTABLE - change your tactics up drastically or subtly. i.e. instead of attacking the enemy head on (only the brave, talented or stupid do this) swap tactics to guerrilla warfare, the style that best compliments effective Infiltrator combat (imo).

BE A TEAM PLAYER - hit them everywhere that a weakness could or does present itself. if they move forward, flank them, radar their locations and communicate to your team vital enemy info such as quantity, positions, classes and vehicles.
    if your team is about to take a base, hack the turrets and use them against your enemy so they cannot spawn aircraft without having to first come deal with you. in general, this last tactic is theoretically applicable in plenty other corners of the game

BE A NINJA - hack everything at every base, if you are attacking a base, go ahead of your team and hack EVERY TERMINAL IN EVERY OUTPOST BASE AND ZONE around it, then as your team attacks join them and hack everything inside the base.

I believe these examples have already been effectively demonstrated by plenty of infiltrators who value and effectively implement the tools at their disposal without cloaking complaints. To demand instead, compensation in the form of better cloaking invisibility is WTF!!!! never has anyone been crazy stupid enough to give gunfighter gamers invisibility in any top FPS shooter and now that a company has given it (again) to their players, you tell them it isn't good enough because people are dying doing everything "right".I say sir, there is never a single "right" way to play and if you died you died. at least you had partial invisibility, wait..... it is a cloak and not full invisibility.
    I could say this is just a matter of whether you are satisfied with what you have, or you could ignore all my suggestions and can choose to Complain here.

this is all a matter of opinion, the opinion is mine and said opinion is admittedly nubcake in nature

oh, and i challenge you all to a knife fight.
    • Up x 2
  11. RobotNinja

All the devs need to do is put the cloak right back to where it was before the GU2 update. It was perfect. Not invisible and cloaking didn't make you more visible than being uncloaked like it does now on low graphics settings, which a majority of the playerbase use.

Seeing as they still haven't been able to fix the bugs caused by GU2 and have caused even more bugs in their attempts to fix the other bugs, I don't have much faith at the moment in the cloak being fixed and it doesn't seem like they give a crap either.
    • Up x 1
  12. Jex =TE=

Once again you make an error. We cannot "choose" where we want to decloak, the timer makes that choice for you. How would you propose infiltrating a base then? Without the cloak - then why bother having it in the first place and instead, relying on luck we won't be spotted. Again, LA's have the easier option here.

Some issues? The issues are blatant - every cloaked infi that has run passed my screen as died, that's how effective it is. Even the crouched ones not moving don't get it easy. The core mechanics are not fine because when you actually try to infiltrate, the name of the class we play, we are obviously infiltrating a base with enemies in that can hear us 100m away (imagine how loud we sound at 20m) and can blatantly see us. We are not infiltrating open fields of sweetcorn because we're too cheap to buy it at the shops.

How anyone can say things are fine is beyond me and obviously have never tried infiltrating.
  13. Ronin Oni

Are you guys kiddin me?

I role with a loud as hell TR cloak and I still do fine as infil.

SMG has been a god send, before the the fast bolt-action 4x gave me great mid range power, and of course I had my 8x slower bolt-action from Alpha Squad for long range since launch :)

Claymores, sensors, and stealth?

It's a blast. Oh, and people chasing me down is actually how I get some of my kills. You can see them on the radar, lead them away a lil bit wait around a corner already uncloaked and spray them in the face with SMG.

Hacking out a term allows you your own supply of ammo, you can sometimes sneak and pull a AMS behind the enemy, and hacking turrets to fire on their defensive line shooting at your allies is golden.

Of course there's also arming gen's and defending them with sensor and claymore as well.

Infil's are a blast. Cloak sounds could maybe be toned down a little (VS is already pretty quite though, maybe bring NC and TR down to VS decibel levels and keep the distinct sounds) and the effect could maybe be more normalized across settings but really it's totally playable as is.
    • Up x 1
  14. Jex =TE=

Presumably I am nerfed then because I won't buy my way to using this super OP power that nobody is talking about OR grind my way to use SC to get something I don't even want. **** the SMG - I'm not interested in it or the scout rifle. My job is to infiltrate, not to kill people. I am a meant to be a skilled operator sneaking into bases to cause havok to their operations in order to help my team capture the objective using my skills and equipment.

Or instead I can snipe people by sitting miles out by a rock with a slug on it or if I'm lucky, can run into a base and get on a ledge and hide and then snipe people from close by whilst below me the enemy use turrets and terminals to resupply themselves to kill my teammates.
    • Up x 1
  15. Jex =TE=

I love the posters here who support the crippled man angle.
  16. giltwist

Only after hit detection is fixed.

The most vocal advocates who you see time and again in these posts are not saying Infiltrators are useless. That would be silly. Why would we waste our time? What we are saying is that when you compare what the average infiltrator can do compared to the average anything else, there is a HUGE difference. I appreciate that Infiltrator is a higher skill-cap class, but even our absolute best Infiltrators are only just on par with the non-noob anything else in terms of cert gain, killing power, anti-vehlices, expected life-span and effectiveness of class feature.
    • Up x 1
  17. Ztiller

Bring it on:

18. Timeraider

Not saying anything is wrong with cloak.. the thing is its widely known that on lower settings, you can see cloaked infiltrators better then uncloaked. This is not a feature, this is not a disadvantage thing.. this is just a bug they are completely ignoring

also.. you can know whats below the **** since these forums profanity filters are weird... really weird :p

and yes, shotguns were overpowered during the beta and SMGs are very nice atm

but what i ask is combine how cloak was not totally bugged and worked perfect (it still works perfect but only with certain settings) in the beta + the SMGs we have now.
    i mean.. low settings is about 20% transperancy while at high settings its a much better 90% and at high you dont see infils as either a big black or big white moving box showing up.

I NEVER said i had problems killing people, i usually droppod into enemy towers like crossroads and crown and then just kill masses of people, hack the turrets, shoot their own vehicles with all 4 turrets and then manage to get away....
    Just saying that if they want to balance things, they first need to remove all bugs and then try balancing the game, else 1 bugfix will destroy 2 months of balancing.
    • Up x 1
  19. Yunzura

entirely agree ^^

And time i meant not to say you couldn't kill, my b. i meant rather that there are ways to cloak and move as well as ways to fight that do not involve the noise giving up your position or showing you visibly to your enemy. for instance..

players have a blindspot behind them, that is where infiltrators should always be, the opposite direction of where enemies are looking. you can literally run out in front of players sometimes if you know where they are moving and where their attention is....and as long as it isnt on you, things are good. a strong infiltrator will cloak right in front of players to scare them and move in pre-cloaked towards units whose suspicions are best not roused. its great knowing the last place they will look is where you are and where you are is out in the open in some crazy place.

personally the more people i have been up against, the harder it seems to become to find me.
    ahhh the chaos of battle, an infiltrators home. i probably should stop liberating every living soul on waterson and return to knifing.....or not.
  20. hammyhamm

Hearing infiltrators over a battle at the crown would depend on what is currently happening - depending on your location you will get different sound masking and it's very situational. Yes, you can train yourself to listen out for infiltrator decloaks (and vehicle engines, and MAX footsteps) but that is merely part of any kind of gameplay - learning non-visual cues.

Infiltrators have the flexibility to have the options of effective extreme-range weapons and still have the flexibility to sport CQC weaponry, there is no "forcing" and the SMG and automatic scout rifles are ample enough should you get into a firefight - the main point here is you shouldn't be charging into battle with what is in essence a support class designed around subterfuge. With regards to your false remark: infiltrators don't get a "Bum deal" on shields, they get the exact same base shields and health that the LA and Engineer have and also have the same certification upgrades (including a damage mitigation cloak, meaning they have the capability to be MORE surviveable!). The audio changes were made as in beta the cloak was too quiet; you could only hear it within about a metre or two and there was very little time between decloaking and being able to fire. That coupled with the overpowered automatic shotguns at the time made infiltrators an overpowered class.

Liberators are very vulnerable to skyguards - the trick is to wait for low-transverse opportunities and to wait for them to close distance, lessening the chance that you get a few minor hits at range where they can simply burn out of danger. Most skyguards I see tend to fail in their job as they are spraying at anything within renderdistance - you really do need to wait for them to close range and surprise them where they cannot evade as the skyguard is garbage at long distance. ESF is still the king of anti-liberator duty, however - the skyguard is more of a point-defence platform to deter loitering hostile aircraft.

You can choose where you want to decloak - part of the skill of the infiltrator is thinking ahead to where your likely next "rest" position will be, when you should conserve your energy and stay decloaked and when it is "safe" to cloak (ie. will anyone hear me?). This is simply how the class is played. Running in front of hostile infantry as an infiltrator SHOULD get you killed as you are doing something stupid! An infiltrator cannot simply rely on their cloak as the only way to remain undetected - you must still remember to follow uncommonly used paths and avoid the view-angle of hostile troops. Direct visual cloaking is most effective when evading vehicles (especially air!) and avoiding the ire of infantry at medium range. Look at your backdrop - it is very easy to spot an infiltrator if they are moving past alot of hard-lined edges, but an infiltrator with a homogenous background is hard to follow. Crouching, walking slowly and crouch-walking all make your cloak more effective so don't be afraid to try it!

TLDR; stop excusing your poor gameplay habits by blaming in-game mechanics.
    • Up x 1