Feedback Thread for the "PlanetSide 2 Test Weekend"

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by DarkTexas, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Sharhen

Flying controls seem fine to me, although I have to say I am not that experienced with ESFs anyway.

Koltyr is very good as it is right now, at least for Infantry and Vehicle Gameplay. I like the base design and choice of base type.
    The warpgate needs a little more work. It's still empty in most places, a few plants would look nice and the terminals are too far away. Teleporters would be an option. Sounds lazy, but why not make it quicker and easier if there is no downside (I don't see one).

For air combat, the map is way to small. You fly for one minute and your area at the warpgate of the opposing factions. But there is no real solution for it, other than disabling air vehicles, which I wouldn't do; it's just the size of the map and it shouldn't be bigger, so maybe leave it as is?
    Also the "no fly zones" over the mountains right next to the warpgate are annoying. Those should be moved more to the outside of the continent.
  2. Ac3s

Sorry but my conclusion on the new flight controls is that it is absolutely crap, wish I could say it with better words but none come to mind.
    Aiming is terrible, making turns is terrible, everything feels clunky and out of place.
    For DBG's sake, don't implement this on the live server unless you want to completely destroy the air-game.
  3. DarkTexas Volunteer Quality Assurance Assistant

PTS-Status:

Fixed Bugs:

- The "Q"-Interface has been fixed

The Pts Is up and unlocked.
    • Up x 2
  4. FunBotan

Well, the new flying controls feel to me even worse than the original. Maybe I'm just a ****** pilot tho.
    And Koltyr is really nice.
    • Up x 2
  5. SunGawd

The definition of clutter: to fill or cover (something) with many things, that is what Koltyr is. The landscape is filled with to many mountains, hills and tree. It does not need to be open but user friendly to drive and navigate.

- If you want "flight testing" lower the cost for aircraft by 50%. People who are not good at flying, usually die very quickly and run out of nanites. Yes, get the resource boost but unless you know what your doing, you have no idea what the boosts are or even do.

- I played as TR with a Mos and Gal so far. I am a average pilot, if that, but it was very hard to aim and shoot people out of the sky. I may suck but I know I'm not the only one with this complaint. The controls were not responsive on my Alienware laptop and seemed to lag and not react as quick as I am accustomed to. Turning was a big issue for me and I know its trying to be more friendly to "controllers" but if its going to kill the mouse and keyboard flying, you may lose a lot of veteran flyers who have had enough.

- The AA turrets need to be removed. I would only be able to fly for a matter of a min or two before getting shot down by buster MAX's and AA. It was a sea of fire and since everything is so enclosed, it is difficult to handle (for new players).

- If a new player comes to the game, I'd feel overwhelmed. One point of view is to show the "massive" nature to the game. However, certain items could be reserved for later in the "real game" after they escape Koltyr.
  6. 4wry

I'll try to keep this brief: flight controls seem fine to me BUT there are some issues the devs can consider when it come to flying and the new player experience (I'll post on the other forum about this a bit more). I chose TR on purpose, having no good experience with this faction. A lot can be done b changing default settings.

Default settings:
    • the mouse sensitivity for air could be higher by default
    • changing from 3rd person to cockpit should be Mouse3 by default instead of free look (put that somewhere else, I for one don't use it)
    • Also: defaults for pitch up/ down should be more accessible: I use the following:
      • space for ascend (default)
      • left alt for decend (normaly mouse unlock)
      • left control for pitch down (normally decend)
      • caps lock for pitch up (unbound - maybe not the best key to assign, though)
    • Default keys do not display correctly: e.g. left control was displayed as a blank key for me when I pulled a mozzie
    • Default keys do not display correctly after re-assignment: I had 3rd person toggle on both T and mouse 3, but the game still displayed a mouse key for cockpit look
    • Why is there no default for analog throttle? (recommended: c)
    • Maybe mouse raw input should be active by default
    With all this changed I had no issues pulling of reverse maneuvers and turns. There was quite a bit going on on Koltyr, but VR and other placed worked well, too.
  7. JudgeNu

I created a female character yesterday.
    There were no options for her face, they were all male. CTD.
    I got in to the WG earlier today and there was a TR that killed me in WG and while I was at terminal to change load out etc. it showed only male character and then, BSOD.

EDIT: upon reading, I believe it was you Dark Texas that killed me...
  8. JakeCWolf

Feedback on the flight controls, and take this with a grain of salt as I am not a hardcore fly boy, but I find the controls to be sluggish and unresponsive, the overall power and maneuverability of the aircraft I have flown (which is to say the Reaver, Valkyrie, Liberator and Sky Whale Galaxy all with various tier 3 airframes) has no changed, some people would probably think they have from having literally never flown outside of VR Training, but the values are the same, the response times to my inputs however, are not.

I would say that response times are about (and I'm bonus checking these numbers) 10-15% slower in response time on all aircraft with any airframes used. Not sure if the sluggish and unresponsiveness is intended or just a side effect for those using keyboard and mouse like myself and many others, this sluggish response times for flight inputs will need to be resolved before these changes are put on the live servers in a few weeks to a month, otherwise I feel the live servers will boil over with rage inside of week.

On the topic of controllers I'd be very interested in playing Planetside 2, or at least trying to play it with a controller, mostly for infantry and vehicle play, I have my keyboard literally 12 inches in front of me so having to place my controller on my lap to type out a message or check the map and redeploy somewhere it's not an issue. Although I've tried playing with a controller before, both using the inbuilt "support" (obvious sarcasm is obvious) and using Xpadder have at little to no success, because lets cut to the chase, inbuilt controller support was an obvious afterthought, a half-TR'd one no less.

I hope this rocky start is the path to some real controller support for Planetside 2, and is gonna need it going to console, which I still think is premature forethought to port it so soon, or at least start the process to do so, but I digress, that's all I have for keyboard flight control feedback.
  9. Xerohexor

10. mrnormalninja

When do I get my helmet? Should it happen right when I hit 30 minutes and br5 on the test sever?
  11. SunGawd

About a week later.
  12. tomlinkev

Very possible to get used to... Barely feel any difference. - Not a pilot expert though.
  13. Picot

another bug, but have it with VS character : 2 bodies in 1 :)
  14. TheYield

I'm going to echo what others have said about the flight model: It feels sloppy. Definitely worse than live (and I don't like that either lol). The air game has always felt really messy to me (know full well that some people are amazing at it) - but this is worse.
  15. WizardsGambit

Flight seems pretty decent, although I have one gripe. While flying with a joystick I have way less accuracy than my mouse. The problem may just be me or my joystick sensitivity. I will have to investigate further, but currently it just feels completely sluggish.
  16. Picot

another bug, but have it with VS character : 2 bodies in 1 :)

sorry, make mistake, i double this post
  17. DarkTexas Volunteer Quality Assurance Assistant

Some of the @planetside2 Dev Team will be playing on PTS at 3-3:30 PST on Koltyr. Come kill us.
    • Up x 1
  18. Vaetas

When you landing fast with mosquito, the landing gear will not sometimes open.
  19. IzumoKousa

1. Pitching up/down: I have these controls bound to my mouse buttons 4 and 5 respectively. And I feel that when I press either button it takes about ~1 second before the aircraft actually moves. The same happens if I just move my mouse forward or back.

2. The Overall movement of the Aircraft in any direction feels like hitting a wall. No momentum carries over after releasing the button press or moving your mouse. It's like every movement has a ridiculous stopping power.

a. For ESF's I find this somewhat useful, but not all the time. I'f I'm shooting at an enemy ESF from behind, I can land many good shots. But if we're dog-fighting, neither of us can keep up with sudden changes in direction, leading shots is even harder.

b. For Liberators. No. Just no. It's utterly horrible. Can't lead, can't keep your vehicles momentum. "Solo-Libin" against enemy Air Vehicles is practically impossible.

c. Galaxies = Liberator x 20

3. Descending takes SOOOOOOO LOOOONNNNGGGGGGG. Is Auraxis' gravity force backwards? Are we supposed to be pushed away from it instead of pulled into it?

4. As for Koltyr, it's a worse cluster than a BioLab fight with 96+ on both sides.We need more space. It's supposed to be a continent right? The placement of the Bigger Bases such as the BioLab, Tech Plant and Amp Station doesn't make sense either. Do new NC players only get to learn what an Amp Station is? Do new TR players only get to learn what a Tech Plant is? Do new VS players only get to learn what a BioLab is? No one was paying attention to be bases, they were killing either other in planes. Give each faction a Tower Base and 1 or 2 Small Outposts.

Some thing like this, but much, much better than my Adobe Illustrator skills.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 4
  20. IzumoKousa

You were invincible though. No amount of clueless NC could kill you.