Expect to pay SC or an arm and leg for class abilities

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Lucidius134, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Lucidius134

Agreed. My analogy and comparison with my partner was about LoL.

Higby said that guns being 1000 certs is balanced around how much time it takes to buy an expensive champion in League of Legends. Fair enough. For the sake of argument we'll stick with gun = champion.

IN League of Legends, you cannot spend IRL money to buy a new ability for your champion. It'de be like having a base champion like Ashe and then you can pay the price of a new champion (both ingame currency and irl currency) to give her a new ult.

Atleast in League you cannot pay money to buy direct power for your champions (emphasis on for champions and not new champions). You can't buy runes, you can't buy masteries, you can't buy access to better runes or masteries. New abilities like a different cloak would be like masteries, runes or in-game items because they affect your stats and gameplay. LoL doesn't let you throw money at those.

How is this business model marketed around 'What works in League of Legends" when they arn't even similar and you're making the prices highly inconsistent?

p.s: I don't really care for LoL or play it much, i'm just making direct points compared to what Higby said and what little I know of it. If you're gonna try copying some one else, atleast copy them and keep the thigns that they did right.
    • Up x 1
  2. Ronin Oni

It's still a weapon though...

Ergo it still follows within their what has SC (and steep Cert) cost vs what doesn't scheme.
  3. prj3ctm4yh3m

this is their business model. if they cant make money, you have no MMOFPS to play. put it in perspective. Im perfectly happy (AND COMPETITIVE) running around as an HA with a SAW and a shrike. everything else is gravy.

this isnt NEARLY as bad as EA coming out with an entirely new generation of weapons in the BF3 expansions that totally outclasses the Karkand stuff, forcing people to upgrade just to stay relevant.
  4. Fox234

Wow. You are really stretching it. So if we can classify it as a weapon then charging people for it is ok. What about no damage stuff? Cloaks and shields don't actually hurt people AND they technically change how you look. Guess those can be considered cosmetics.
  5. TwitchTheTerrible

Man are you really stretching this, cloaks/shields/jj's are all considered abilities. The new mana turret for all intents and purposes is a weapon. Just like the anihillator or decimator rocket launchers, these can be considered by many as upgrades, but they have weaknesses in comparison to the starting launchers. The anihillator can not free fire, and the decimator has a slow velocity to balance them. Yes they are inherently different from the starting launchers and they have their pros and cons. The new mana turret is a weapon pure and simple, it is not required, you have the option to get it or not, and it has its weaknesses. All this claim that SOE is going to make class abilities like JJ or shields ect. is just grasping for strands of an argument which has very little base to begin with.
  6. Sevre

You say that like it's a bad thing. All new stuff that comes out is going to be expensive. This has been a businees model for every company for years. Like new video games or cars, the longer you wait the cheaper they get. It's a fundamental basic of the free market economy:"start high, go low".

If you think It's ridiculously over-priced, then I agree with you and do the same thing: don't buy it. If you don't buy it, the price will go down. Basic economics stuff here.

Vote with your money.
  7. Bambolero

This new silly OP turret addition feel as if Smedly feels the ship is sinking and desperately tries to milk as much money as he can out of the players until they they drop this mess of a game like a bad habit.
    Combine the cash-shop blatant money grab with all the issues and game breaking things in game and it's clear PS2 is becoming a joke, and a bad one of that.
    DO...NOT...BUY....ANYTHING FROM THE CASH SHOP until the game is fixed and SoE shows a will to run it like a inovative video game instead of a cash cow.
  8. Fox234

Yeah, you keep on believing that. I myself wouldn't trust a company who lied before beta even started. Can't believe people already forgot SOE promised no weapons would be available for SC. Now all weapons are available for SC and now deployables will be for SC. What separates the MANA turret from mines and grenades. They're all weapons.
    • Up x 1
  9. Arreo

Well lets put it this way, would you be happier if they just said it was 1000 certs and you can't buy it with SC?

Except you just want them to give it to all Engys free because 'that's what the class should have had from the beginning'. I mean please correct me if that isn't the argument you're making?

If that is your argument then it has some validity. I think that the Engy on game launch should have had an AI turret, an AT turret and an AA turret option. I think that the base Engy should have started with none of them and then you cert into unlocking them (250 per maybe) and then have the option of further certing to upgrade them.

But that isn't what happened, that is what the game was like when it shipped. So I think now it is more or less fair to just treat this like a weapon and price it accordingly. Frankly I wish the cert cost was 500 as that seems more reasonable to me, but if it is as powerful as people say it is than maybe 1000 is a better price.
  10. Fox234

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6814-Companies-Exist-To-Make-Money
  11. Goden

No it won't.

I don't know how many free2play games I've seen which were teetering on the brink of the death and the devs still refused to drop prices. Price drops are usually the very last thing they do.
  12. The King

The SC/Cert system is fine....
    I rather them have the ability to make money.
    If there was no way for them to make money, this game wouldn't last too long.
    They're not going to make money just from cosmetic stuff.

Anyways, I enjoy playing the game and get the certs.
    But I do support the game, at times. If there is something I really want, like the SMG, I will pay full price for it.
    The other stuff, I will wait. This AV thing, I can wait until it either go on sale or wait for a double or triple SC day.
  13. Sinist

I kind of agree with the creator of this thread.

The AV Turret is apart of the ACE tool. The ACE tool is given to all engineers by default.

The only thing that should cost anything is upgrading it to fire faster sort of like the AI turret can be upgraded.

It's only the third month of the game and the depot is already filling up like crazy and getting even more ridiculous. Tray the art director claims they want to add new items every month or even every two weeks. That is insane. Can I pay my 50$ for a boxed copy and 15$ a month please.

Im starting to think screw F2P. We are all seeing the direction SOE is trying to take the depot. I am a huge fan of the game and not even I will spend the amount of money they want us to in order to unlock everything.

Not unless the pace of new depot items slows way down will I be able to keep on top of it. If I am not willing to, I doubt many other people will either.
  14. Sifer2

Yup. That's F2P for ya. That's why I always argued in favor of a Guild Wars model for PS2. That is buy the box, and play free. Take out the incentive for SOE to make overpowered stuff to sell for real money. And instead give them incentive to make major new expansions so they can sell another box.

As to people saying it's a weapon. Well it would be like if they added a new type of stronger C4 that cost 1000 certs or SC for the first one. They have basically broken the rule of stuff in the class abilities page being cert only. So now you can expect basically all new additions to be payed items with huge cert costs.
  15. RealityWarrior

6 Shots to kill a lib... 30 seconds + travel time
    2 shots to the REAR of a tank 6 seconds plus travel time FROM THE REAR

Man if only these tanks and aircraft thought to move or shoot back or something.
  16. Bill Hicks

Software engineers have rent too.
  17. Daioh

i really don't see the problem here, its pretty much a new weapon through and through, and completely unlike the other Turret.

i'm going from Bullets to guide by hair Missiles, that should totally be priced as a new weapon.
  18. Talizzar

After you get to BR60 and up you have more certs than you can spend. SOE needs to make money. I have no problem with this.

I bought it big deal. It cost me 2.50 from 3x cash days. My lunch today was 15.00. If you can afford a 7 dollar item and are complaining on a forum, I would suggest that you have bigger issues my friend.
    • Up x 1
  19. Lucidius134

Moreover, C4 and AT mines.
  20. Lucidius134

Still wiating for the awfully underpowered andunderhwhelming battle rifle to go down, or for there to be price variations such as havig 3 shotguns that dont cost the same. Waiting since beta....................

Also, for skills (which the AV turret is), prices arn't judged by how new they are. The Sensor Dart for Infil doesn't cost more simply because it's newer then the medic regen. I don't really see how this fits in with abilities and pre-existing logic in terms of certs and cert prices. It's safe to assume that it diesn't fit in with that logic and that they may be rolling with this in the future, hence OP.