Expect to pay SC or an arm and leg for class abilities

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Lucidius134, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Chipskream

No. This is ruthless moneygrabbing. In my opinion, the AV turret is the equivalent to the resist shield for the heavy. And its absolutely not acceptable that this is 1000 certs/buyable with station cash. No no no, this is going down on the wrong road.
  2. Yautja

It sets a scary P2W precedent.
  3. Goden

It seems SOE is doing the Tribes Ascend model of business practice.

Release ******edly OP weapon - make tons of dosh - nerf the crap out of it.
  4. RobotNinja

I've never seen Engi turrets turn the tide of battle. I rarely see them used to do anything besides camp an enemy spawn. Plus, Engineer + Turret are free kills for Infiltrators and anyone else who flanks them as well as vehicles and if AV turrets become prevalent they're going to become even higher priority targets.
    • Up x 1
  5. Ronin Oni

^Pretty much this.

"This is like charging for Resist shield/stalker cloak!"

no... no it's not.

It's a weapon. So yes... it's like HA alternate rocket launchers. You get the default free. Want a specialized one and yah gotta cert dump or pony up.

Nothing new here folks.
  6. makrome

Is there an option to pay with kidneys instead ?
    Legs i'd be ok with, but giving an arm would really make it hard to play ;)
  7. Goden

But the new AT turret isn't specialized. As of right now this thing is shooting down libs and gals and 2-shotting tanks.

It is better than the default mana turret in almost every single way.
  8. Ronin Oni

hmm, I wonder if this new AV turret will be cross-faction for the account wide unlocks....
    • Up x 2
  9. UndercoverDolphin

it is essentially a stationary tank with guided missiles that can counter both ground and air (lib/galaxy) can't believe someone thought this was a good idea

* and the problem isnt that it is a stationary tank, its that you can place this cannon in very very odd spots that are hard to counter or hit before you are dead by it
  10. Gary

err yea, You specialize your class based on how you like it over time. Why would you get everything given on a silver platter. Work to specialize or play with the default abilities.

Yea because it can aim up so high and swat everything out the sky... Please dont exagerate. You might get hit by one sometime in the air but it will not happen constantly unless i dunno you are stationary?

They cannot be placed in odd spots and must be placed on Level ground, They are also very easy to hit and even hit the player using them.

Also it will not take weeks to save up unless you play 2 hours or so a day. If you find cert gain to low you can i support the game a little and buy a boost or membership. Managed to rack up just under 1000 certs over the weekend just past using 1 month membership bonus and alpha squad boost!

Personally i think a 1 of mandatory membership should be imposed for any new player or player who has not yet purchased Station cash or membership.
  11. biterwylie

Ironic? - I think the point is it is another nail in the coffin of a combined arms game that it was advertised as.
  12. SDD

It definitely seems like there's a potential for this to be a slippery slope, but I'm not convinced that this is out of line yet.
    The turret is pretty much a deployable vehicle, and we already had to pay for vehicles to fire different kinds of payloads, so this isn't too different than what there already was.

Now if the deployable shield generator (aegis?) ever comes out, or new grenades, or alternative medic/armor/ammo kits, shields/jetpacks, etc... those are things that are going to start feeling a little too far for me.
  13. mistafist

The difference here is it allows damage to vehicles and infantry. The default mana turret does not allow damage to vehicles. The default rocket launcher already damages vehicles and infantry so it's not such a huge step up. Now granted the under barrel grenade launcher also offers this and is the same cost (lower damage per shot), but it can be used on multiple classes and isn't locked to one class. As I pretty much only play engi I bought the turret but I think it definitely straddles a line that's pretty dangerous to balance on.

As an added note, I would say if they are going to balance on this line, that cert costs for things like this that provide such a large upgrade should cost less certs to unlock. Maybe 500 and keep the store cost the same.
  14. Lucidius134

It goes in your ability slot and it's labeled an ability.
  15. Lucidius134

I wouldn't mind if you didn't have to upgrade it.
  16. Lucidius134

I wouldn't mind the last part of your post.

Right now, this functions no different then buying C4 or Proximity mines in terms of gameplay. These are 'utilities' and can only be purchased with certs (and for a reasonable amount of certs). SOE might aswell make C4, Proximity Mines and AT mines purchasable with SC and crank up their prices by 3 times. (Do you see my point here?)

Also agree with you on the balance thing. My partner bought the turret and just sniped ESF's and Libs out of the sky while i used G2A's. SKILL CREW. ESF's would die with 1 volley. They should make it like Bad Company 2 in that pointing that turret would give a lock on tone or another type of tone.
  17. Lucidius134

What scares me is this:

Let's say pretty much everything we have is called the old, standard stuff in 2 years time. All of the newer abilities cost 1000 certs or can be bought with SC, on top of being much better then the old skills. This makes a big gap between payers and free players. The people who pay get instant access to much better skills and the free ones who are stuck with the crap.

Essentially, if you've ever played the F2P Game Exteel you'de know where i'm coming from.
  18. Kwanza

Yeah! WE'RE ENTITLED TO FREE **** -__- srsly guy?
  19. Kurreah

It is much worse against infantry. It doesn't appear to have a shield, but still renders as a vehicle. While the rocket can damage infantry, it does not appear to have much splash. You are firing one shot every 6 seconds rather than hosing out rapid fire.
    In the situations that the AI turret shone: suppressive fire and covering specific areas it won't work. Not to say that it is useless against infantry, but not a pure upgrade.
  20. Fox234

Indeed. If people allow SOE to do this then SOE will be given permission to go even further. This is obviously SOE seeing what they can get away with.
    • Up x 2